Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RobMac's Blade

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder

RobMac's Blade

Just bought the bike from Billy Bob and had it delivered a few days ago. I had no intention of stripping it so quickly but one thing leads to another and to be honest the bike needed a rebuild quite badly, so here we go

Started with this

Had 4 hours of free time so started cleaning the bike which turned into taking bits off which has left me with this

I guess the build has begun

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Have fun mate. And take lots of pics

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to what comes next, crack on Dude! [8D]

Weekend Warrior
    hey rob any chance of a pic of your subframe as i am doing the same converion
    nice job by the way

quote:Originally posted by houdini

nice job by the way
    No worries, will get a pic up soon

quote:Originally posted by houdini

nice job by the way
    Here you go mate

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    quote:Originally posted by robmac

Just bought the bike from Billy Bob and had it delivered a few days ago. I had no intention of stripping it so quickly but one thing leads to another and to be honest the bike needed a rebuild quite badly, so here we go

Started with this

Had 4 hours of free time so started cleaning the bike which turned into taking bits off which has left me with this

I guess the build has begun
    Mate that Gixxer tail looks mean as. Are you gonna keep it on ?

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    You Should!!!

[/quote]

Mate that Gixxer tail looks mean as. Are you gonna keep it on ?
    [/quote]
    Yeah tail stays but I'm doing a few mods to it to freshen it up. Ideally I would love to take the indicators out and have a dual exhaust coming out in place but time and money are always restricting factors ie I don't have much of either so it may not happen

Trying my hand at a bit of carbon fibre at the minute so hoping to have the gixxer rear in carbon if all goes well. Failing that I'll just paint it black []

Tried again tonight to get that fucking 46mm nut off the axle of the sssa to no avail.

Couple of nights ago was the first attempt with the wife giving a hand, not a chance. Tonight had a mate round for dinner and I figured the nut didn't stand a chance with the two of us......the fucking thing just laughed at us. We put penetrate on it, heated it, put extensions on the breaker bar, tapped it with a hammer, swore at it in disbelief, nothing budged the stubborn bastard.

Mate reckons he has a suitable large spanner that he has an extension for that will do the trick so we will give it another go tomorrow night hopefully. Never had a nut so tight.......

Rattle gun with a 3/4" drive and a socket. The nut didn't stand a chance ; )

Now I just have to wait for that swingarm tool to progress any further with that. Pick up my forks outers tomorrow from the anodisers, getting them done in a slightly lighter gold than normal so hopefully they have turned out ok.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    You got one coming along do you? where did you end up getting it from?

Jarrod

[quote]quote:Originally posted by robmac

Originally posted by jakam04

You got one coming along do you? where did you end up getting it from?

Jarrod
    Ebay uk. Should be here next week ($50). You'll be needing it soon

Nice object! Good luck!

Almost got a complete front end ready to go on. Waiting on discs and my credit card to recover slightly then off to the powdercoaters with everything. Still toying with the idea of using colour instead of satin black. My biggest fear in doing that, is ending up with a tarts handbag that I have to strip the powder off and start again. That would suck big one's.

Got the fork outers back from the anodisers and they look pretty good (light gold). Resisting temptation in rebuilding them until I get springs and gold valves. 04 CBR1000RR forks are apparently quite rubbish without the mods so no point rebuilding them twice.

Looking for a 6.5" wide car wheel instead of the 7" one that's on at the minute as well. I reckon that extra 1/2" flattens the tyre out enough for it to mess with the handling more than it needs to (210 50 tyre), and even though the range of 17" x 6.5" wheels is limited I still can't decide which one.

And cheers for the comments Blaa : )

Well after a two week wait on the swingarm tool it finally arrived and for whatever reason the fucking thing does not fit. The ID is about 2mm too small to be of any use. I ended up getting the swingarm off without it anyway so I wasted $50 it seems. Anyone got a VFR750 swingarm axle lying around that they can measure the diameter? Mine's an 800 so maybe there's a difference?

Anyway, all the bits have been cleaned and degreased and are ready for the powdercoaters so the rebuild will begin soon

Before:

Went to drop all the bits off to the powdercoaters only to be told they weren't taking any more work until next year. Had great plans to have a rolling chassis ready by the new year but that's what happens to piss poor planning.

While I'm waiting I'll start to strip the engine to see what condition its in and hopefully it'll just be a good service, a camchain, a tensioner and it'll be back together.

New discs arrived today along with the acewell from the US

well, you look like you are quite well organised! I am liking the image in me head of that thing with USD front end

At last got the powder coating done but there seems to be alot of powder where there shouldn't be powder [V]. Somehow they missed a bit on the frame so thats getting done again. Biggest pain was finding an M14x1.0mm pitch tap to clear out the rebound adjusters on the forks. To buy one was $100 and I couldn't justify that for 60 secs of use. Ended up using Steve Woods in Slacks Creek, great guy for all suspension needs btw, very knowledgeable and no bullshit. Anyway, its starting to come together at last

Frame, swingarm, lower triple clamp, fork bottoms done is satin black.
    Engine cases, cam cover, wheels done in gloss pearl dark grey.
    Factory pro cover, top triple clamp anodised black.
    Fork sliders anodised in light gold.

Waiting on a couple of bearings to finish the swingarm and hopefully get the frame back this week to get everything bolted up and off the garage floor

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast