Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget Rearsets

Blog Entries

Budget Rearsets

Ok ladies. Here's the deal......

Manit (nbnk) contacted me after the negative responses to his offer. I also thought the same as you guys as to the quality of the rearsets based on previous experiences. Anyway, Manit was so convinced his gear was better than the usual stuff that he offered to send a set over for us to look at, ...and look at it we did.

We had chance to do a comparo as Ozkat who was also there had a set of the Narsurin rearsets that he got from Ebay for around $110 (same as Veetwo got for $180). We laid them out together and gave them a good looking over. The top set is the cheaper Narsurin set and the bottom ones are the Nobunaka ones that nbnk is offering:

The first thing you notice is the finish. The Nobunaka have been finished off all over with a polishing wheel and all sharp edges removed, unlike the Narsurin ones. The finish is in a near gloss black as opposed to the flat black of the others. The next thing you notice is the actual construction.

Although they both come in pieces in a box, the Nobunaka ones actuall have all quality bolts all over and they fit the holes correctly at the right length and also leave all moving parts flowing freely when tightened correctly.

With the cheaper set there was bolts missing, the ones that were there were too short and some of the ones you didn't see from the front even had phillips heads as opposed to the allen heads. Not only that, the cheaper set need washers to space the bearings away from the hardware and even when that was done the movement was sticking.

The Nobunaka set came with a drawing to assemble it, but unless you look at rearsets every day you'd be hard pushed to put it together without going out to your bike to check what was what (which is what I had to do). Shayne's cheaper set on the other hand came with no instructions at all and we actual put his together in the shed that night while looking at the others as a guide!

The nbnk ones are highly adjustable with holes for different placement.

here's the brake side:

and here's the gear side:

Now although these things aren't going to ever compare to the top shelf stuff they are definitely worthy of a budget rearset buy based on build quality and components (although I have vouched to fix them and try them soon and I will let you know more after that). I would say that some locktite would not go a miss on either set though, just for security.

We came to the conclusion that the two sets in the comparo were definietly brothers but one was just a bit of a problem child. If you like to get stuff out of the box, fix it up and feel safe I would say that the Nobunaka set is well worth a look. If you are the sort of person who likes to count your pennies, replace all the bolts, pull your hair out trying to work out how they fit togther etc etc, then the cheap set might be for you.

All in all, if you are looking for a nice set of replacement rearsets without spending your life savings give nbnk's gear a go.

NOTE: The item sent was no bribe or a piss in my pocket and will be given away after final testing. This review is a non biased opinion by 5 members of this website.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    So they will be in the post soon then Si
    Jesus died for his own sins...NOT MINE !

Blog Entries
    They're GSXR fitment mate, you'd have a fair few mods to do.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    they look ok mate ..how much is he knockin em out for?

Blog Entries
    quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

they look ok mate ..how much is he knockin em out for?
    The original topic with all the stuff from nbnk is here mate: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...?TOPIC_ID=8379

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    No 1400 rear sets [V]

And you guys wonder why i keep polishing things

great review gix.

are they oil cooled fittment?

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Bwahahahaha

Blog Entries
    Nice work Des!

Blog Entries
    Ok, Update time.

Tonight I fitted the rearsets to my bike.

When Manit asked me what model bike I rode he was a bit taken back by such an old bike, and also wasn't sure if they had some to fit. Whether somewhere in this confusion or whether they are all like this I am not sure, but the brake lever mechanism does not allow for a break light switch spring or lever return spring. The sensor itself is supplied along with all other bits needed but there is no actual point to mount the spring to trigger it on the lever itself.

Now although a smart bloke with a bit of knowledge could knock one up in an hour it still goes against what I said in the first review about it being a straight bolt on.

As I said before, I do not plan to keep these so I cannot justify making a bracket up for the spring mounts so it will not get the road test i wanted to give it. As it sits now it is perfect for a GSXR race bike that needs no brake light or someone who really wants these rearsets who could make a bracket.

This is the only set i have seen, so unless nbnk can state they come with spring mounts on other models I would say these are aimed at the people in the last paragraph.

This also means that a competition to win them will be a limited audience!

ta for the link Si .. i doubt if ill find any to fit mine tho

Me me me me ... can i win ...

Look nice, shame about the bracket.
    Still, i'm sure a drill and a bit of ally could sort that out.
    If there's a comp, I'm in.

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    fuck the spring thing, get one of Stu's pressure switchs that go in the brake line
    (fuck, cant find it on his website anymore! which cunt designed it!?!?![:P])

Rev the fucker!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

(fuck, cant find it on his website anymore! which cunt designed it!?!?![:P])

teeheehee

Just found these...By Narsurin....yet almost identical to your ones Si...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-R-1-Re...QQcmdZViewItem

'The saga continues'

Or these by the same bloke. I think it took 4 days to get mine after payment was recieved.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REARSETS-FOR-...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh yeah im quiet happy with mine, i will change all the bolts and washers for quality ones tho. I also wanted the satin black finish on mine as it matches the frame which has a satin finish.

Still think there's summat odd here....like different distributers of the same factories stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast