Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rickman Resurrection

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder

Rickman Resurrection

Howdy folks,I've finally extracted the digit and started to get this thing on the road after 17 years of idleness.A brief history,I bought it in 1982,got it rewired shortly after then a few years later got it resprayed ,the wheels respoked and the engine rebuilt and rode it around for a few years then parked her up. My main concern will be getting it started after sitting still for so long.A few months back I took the cam cover off and turned the motor over by hand and everything seemed to be ok,but any advice on how to do this would be appreciated.This wont be a full on resto or rebuild just a bit of a tidy up.Cheers lads.

I would like to get rid of these clocks and replace them with a smaller acewell type one.Also get a smaller headlight.

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    i hada cafe raced CB900 and i used the clock off a CT110 on a home fabbed bracket. The wiring spapped straight over... ok sure it aint nothing on some after market thing but at $50 who could complain and it worked a treat.

also with engines that have been sitting for ages im a fan of a squirt of diesel down the cylinders before turning them over under compression.

[b
    the paint job was done in about 1988 and was at the time the best paint job I had seen ,until I fucked it with brake fluid,so I think it needs something ,I thought of some sort of olde worlde english gothic style lettering with maybe gold GT type stripes,anyway you photo shop pros feel free to have a play or piss take.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    well i think yer on a winner straght away with the old girl...... a ricky z1000 nice one mate what about the stock rickman twin stripe in gold with the logo and itll look like a blast from the past

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Those gauges are worth a small fortune, I know a couple of blokes who'd probably sacrifice their lefty for them.
    Are you gonna sell? If so how much?
    Wind the motor over with the plugs out,[a little diesel in the bores is not a bad idea] make sure there is oil pressure at the crank, and oil flowing to the head before giving it ignition. They are tough old buggers, it will probably be fine. There is an oil chamber access plug beneath the timing cover, remove this and install a gauge there, or at least make sure there is oil flow.
    Some calipers might help...........I bet they are seized solid!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Forgot to mention, great lookin Zed sickboy. My first real "scare" was on the back of a rickman900 with a 'big bore', and 33mm smoothbore carbs.
    The owner was a fuggen lunatic, who had to prove himself at every opportunity. I was an absolute moron to get on the back, but about a dozen "green cans" had slurred my judgement!

Benz ,the gauges where rebuilt with new covers years ago ,in the top pic you can see a small dent ,this happened when my junkie house mate decided to have a piss up while I was at work and the bike got knocked over by some fucken looser,anyway I think I'll hang onto em.Calipers will have new seals and so will the forks,still having trouble getting hold of a kit for the front master cylinder. All Lockheed stuff. When I bought this bike the owner told me it had a 1015 kit in it and when it was getting rebuilt the mechanic said MTC dont make rings for that kit anymore but he had a kit that would take it out to 1045 or 1055 I cant remember,so who knows? But I do know it has hollow cams,not sure what brand and a sump gate.There was suspicions at the time that the motor may have been in a speedway outfit.Thanks for you info Benz.

Weekend Warrior
    Love it.
    I reckon stick with the black, but maybe add a single gold stripe with trace stripes for nostalgia.
    That thing must a real thriller with all the ponies and not so many brakes or tyres.

This is what they looked like 30 years ago,not sure if I like the decals or not.What streets said sounds like a plan.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    this guy has a set of Rickman stickers for sale plus Lockheed brake parts. May be of interest to you, cheers: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Z900-Kawasaki-Rickman-Spares

Perhaps instead of gold you could alter it and go for a very dark metallic?

Cheers for that gunnie,and Weaselman when you say dark metalic do you mean keep the black as is and add dark metalic stripes and lettering?

Started doing a bit of polishing.

Yup...
    But with the lettering keep it almost black its self so you can see it but it looks like its part of the paintwork instead of just a decal.
    Kind of hard to explain without a picture but i hope you catch my meaning.
    A very dark grey metallic, or if you wanted to go slightly 80's even a dark metallic purple

Thats not a bad idea,not sure about the purple though.

I could have said pink with tassles but i reserve that for my kawasaki

This week I have mostly been polishing.

A manky lookin swingarm yesty.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast