PDA

View Full Version : Insuring Streetfighters...??

John.R
13-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey guys, just a question that has been on my mind for a while in regards to how most of you insure bikes that are heavily modified.

I've always been told that insurance companies will try an get out of any insurance claim if they can find an issue to void it, from illegal wheel sizes (cars), un-declared performance mods etc that they can bullshit about having an impact and contributing to the accident.

So to all the guys that have fork swaps, SSSA's, bored out or completely different engine swaps, modified sub-frames etc, how do you go about insuring these comprehensively (Im assuming that most of the bikes with lots of goodies are insured comprehensively)

Do you just N.G.A.F and tell your insurance company that its just a Bandit or Gixxer, and worry about it later?

Do you list or your mods? Get it mod plated or engineered to keep them happy?

Have you ever heard of fellow riders not getting payed out and left with a shit load of debt if they hit the ass of a Ferrari or what have you?

sharky
13-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Shannons...I told them about all the mods to my xjr and it wasn't a problem.
Single seat mod plate,R1 frontend etc...they weren't phased.
And ya right ,they will look for any way out of paying.
Mate in the uk thought he was clever insuring his full custom frame bike as a stock (and thus cheap) until someone knocked him off....The insurance company paid him...stock bike value of 2000 pounds....bike was worth around 7000..but they were only paying out for what he had said it was.

hooligan
13-04-2010, 10:39 AM
You can also get third party property, which means your bike isn't covered, but whatever you damage is (like the above mentioned ferrari)

fimpBIKES
13-04-2010, 12:10 PM
if u search im sure we have covered this before

btw - my tlr is standard but with a yoshi full system and cz wheels...

John.R
13-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I remember reading an insurance thread before about what providers to go with etc, but nobody really mentioned how they dealt with the mods, if they got them plated etc.

I figure a fair few people would get 3rd party insurance aswell, but for bikes that have a lot money spent on them, i.e worked engine, nice wheels,ohlins shocks or fancy forks, thought some might be done comprehensively.

Gix11
13-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Everyday rider?
If not Shannons are good mate. I rang them and told the geezer on the end of the phone to jump on the net and look at my post in the forum. He saw the photo, we went through the mods, and he insured it. That simple.

robmac
13-04-2010, 04:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Everyday rider?
If not Shannons are good mate. I rang them and told the geezer on the end of the phone to jump on the net and look at my post in the forum. He saw the photo, we went through the mods, and he insured it. That simple.

To get any modified bike insured comprehensively I thought it all had to be engineer approved?? They may be taking your money now and saying ur insured but when it comes to a payout it could be a different story......that's my take on it anyway and why I've been going through the painful process of trying to get an engineer to approve my bike. I'll give Shannons a call though and see what they say [?]

Gsxar
13-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Mine are with Shannon's, rang them & told them about the turbo on the 1000 no worries that's another $20 a month.

Hey Gix, I have never worried about the every day rider part, they have never asked k's so how do they know how much I ride?;)

13-04-2010, 08:51 PM
"Void" is a powerful/legal word in the Insurance indusrty,but at least they refund your premium when they claim you Void after running up the arse of that Ferrari on your Un-Engineered Megadollar Fighter,even tho that swingarm just bolted straight in. A cunt i know lost big dollars coz he forgot to declare all his previous driving history from 15 yrs ago,poor cunt lost his 15000 dollar car but they refunded the balance of his 450 dollar 12 month policy.BTW my dollar key isn't working.
VOID is an often used term in the INS IND.It covers many meanings for refusing a claim,and they are all legit...gotta read the fine print.

Yamie
14-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Shannon's and I've never had a problem

robmac
14-04-2010, 05:06 PM
From the Shannons PDS re insurance cover.

We will not cover any accessory or modification that is not legal or is
not approved by your State’s or Territory’s rules and regulations.

This tells me that unless your modifications are approved through your relevant authority (and possibly engineered) then they could turn down your claim if you have an accident. Something to consider..[V]

John.R
14-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Thats what I have always thought robmac, that mods need to be legal and engineered in order for them not to have a loophole. The mods can be declared, but not legal, and they will have a loophole. The mods can be legal, and not declared, and they have a loophole.

If the mods are legal (i.e mod plated or engineered) AND declared, all is well.

Thats the reason I asked, because I never see anyone talk about engineering their bikes, and even if you only had 3rd party insurance, they can still dog you and not pay out to cover any other vehicle involed.

However, IF that PDS means that they are not gonna replace your Yoshi exhaust because its technically 'off-road or race use' but everything else is still covered, then its worth it.

EDIT: Also, for everyone talking about shannons, have you made any claims?

bluemk1
15-04-2010, 01:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by davo
BTW my dollar key isn't working.

yet your '4' key seems to be working fine as does your shift or caps lock? [:p]

ACTAngler
15-04-2010, 06:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

quote:Originally posted by davo
BTW my dollar key isn't working.

yet your '4' key seems to be working fine as does your shift or caps lock? [:p]

Yes, yes, but where's the "Any" key? [:o)]