damo1
25-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Well done ice

evad
25-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Awesome Ice, just in time for the AFR to be your test run

Deano
25-03-2007, 09:43 AM
well if booster is hooking you up with tuning then i guess i man not need to tank my tank bag to pick up the motor parts on the way to dubbo.

good stuff mate hope you get it all tuned well in the next couple of days

Gix11
25-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I have the video on my phone now as well but need to convert it from 3gp to mpeg, and right now I'm headed out the door to meet Huddo and ride to Supercharger's, so bear with me!

By the way, it sounds mad as on the phone video.

sharky
25-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Loks great Iceman, Shame about the humpty dumpty ticking over in the background......Oh sorry That WAS the gs ;)
Well done mate, there should be a "You'll never get that to work" trophy at the run.

fimpBIKES
25-03-2007, 11:41 AM
nice one icey!!!!

get that vid up :(

RUSS M8
25-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah! Turbo GS500 is alive, that's sick!

Can't wait to hear it!

zx12argh
25-03-2007, 12:19 PM
come on - you guys are a worse tease then my ex on her rags...

Lets see that vid!!

sharky
25-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Si has sent me a 3gp file on me phone. If any one can upload it to the forum let me know and I'll text ya.

latheboy
25-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Fwarking well done ice ... :D ..

Iceman
25-03-2007, 08:53 PM
After a bit of muck'n around I figured out how to convert the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZn9kc0fNyc

A bit dodgy, I know.

Iceman
25-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Hopefully I'll get some more tomorrow. I'll try'n get some with the turbo whistle'n.

fimpBIKES
25-03-2007, 09:14 PM
nice mate!!!

give us one of it howlin' [:O]

Iceman
26-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, the GS has returned home and the list of things to do seems to be getting longer by the minute.

I can't thank Booster enough for the help he has given me, especially over the last 4 days. After I showed up at his place with a bike that hadn't run for nearly a year and an untried, home made injection and turbo set up and left with a working, mad as streetfighter.

Looks like it's only one more sleep til friday. lol.

suxukifreak
26-03-2007, 09:42 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!!finally. Good one Ice.:)

Booster
26-03-2007, 11:08 PM
That little turbo suited better than i would have thought,
tune still needs some work but its functional and safely rich , just need an extra fuel stop or two on the way to Dubbo .

Watto
27-03-2007, 09:55 AM
awesome job mate

damo1
27-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Nice one boys.

Ice is the master of the unthinkable good on you for having a go mate well done thats a great little
sleeper mate.

Jockney Rebel
27-03-2007, 09:42 PM
well done ice mate cant wait to see the little burner btw ur nuts mate but then so was evry genius on the planet fukin warp speed ahead..mate

sharky
27-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Fuckin class mate. Just hope the 'lil sucker (blower)gets there...can't wait to hear it in the flesh..[:p]
Told bloke at local bike shop about it today...the look on his face said it all..[:0]

Iceman
27-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Sorry boys, I know how much everyone was looking forward to hearing the dump pipe, but to be honest it was to loud. I would be lucky to get it out of town without being pulled up, let alone all the way to Dubbo.

I came to this realization yesterday when Booster told me that he heard me turn around on a test run. I was three fuck'n kms from his house! Yeah it sounded cool but this is one of those rare moments that pratical beats cool.

Heres what Paul and I rigged up tonight from bits I had lying around the shed. Note the wastegate still has a dump pipe
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/7395686584098.jpg

Booster
28-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Best of both, it won't be much quieter when your gassing it but can be quiet when needed..

latheboy
28-03-2007, 10:15 AM
You had better check your mixtures again that will make it richer ...
Oh and ice you should take the old dump pipe in your pack and swap it over just outside of dubbo [}:)]:D

chopiesel
28-03-2007, 01:22 PM
you should have bolted a supertrap direct to the housing.

sharky
28-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Thats an idea Chop. Reckon that would look and sound right. Might have some spare bits here Iceman.

Docktor
28-03-2007, 03:47 PM
MMMMMmmmmm. screamer pipe. Wish i did that.I plumbed mine back into the exhaust to try and look inconspicuous.Thats a fucked word to spell........ The bov looks the ducks nuts hangin out there too mate.

Iceman
28-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Reliability is still going to be my biggest issue. Doc are you riding or putting the buell on the trailer? I might need a recovery vehicle to pick up the pieces along the way.

I've just had to re-fibreglass a section of the tail after I broke it the other day. I wish I'd stop creating more work for myself.

sharky
28-03-2007, 06:25 PM
You don't mind riding at the back do you mate ? some poor bugger might get a face full of gs guts ;)
Fingers crossed you won't need recovering. Have you got RACV ? Failing that pack a tow rope. Mate towed a trike 30miles across France to the ferry port once 'cos he didn't have Euro cover....Good ol' Fj motors...:D

Iceman
28-03-2007, 06:46 PM
I've got RACV on the cars, might put the bike on just in case.

Docktor
28-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey Ice. I am seriously considerin gettin the mrs to drive the cruiser with my bike trailer on the back. I toooooo have a reliability problem with no time to do the sorting. Can we move afr forward to next weekend please ?. So at this stage I will have a trailer with me. If anyone wants my number just pm me and I will pass it along to ya.Do ya think they will make the turbo boys drink at the other end of the bar? I get lonely easy.Mine is in at Petes Pitstop getting what will hopefully be a decent tune,I dont give a rats arse if i have to fill up every 150 kays, I just dont wanna hear detonation.Did u water inject yours or are you just praying the poor thing keeps breathing ?

Doc

Iceman
28-03-2007, 07:05 PM
No water injection, (unless I run through a deep puddle and the filter takes a gulp). lol

You have mail.

Large
28-03-2007, 07:13 PM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip whooooooooooooooooossssssssssshhhhhhh!

Docktor
28-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Ya missed the BANG at the end Large .

Doc

Booster
28-03-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/28286174836515.gif

May You never see this in reality

Bikes pinging sound way different to anything heard in a car, first time i heard my old 750 ping i thought the turbo was shitting itself, but i induced it again and again trying to work out what the strange sound was, next thing it dropped a cyl and created a smoke cloud i could have hidden from tanks in .... Dooohhhh ,

chopiesel
28-03-2007, 07:32 PM
go get some methonol and a washer bottle and squirt some of that goodness into the compressor housing!!

Docktor
28-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Got a water injection kit on mine.The water washer bottle kits suck arse.Maybe it be ok if u wanna pump it into the compressor housing.Gotta spend the $$ and get a decent kit.Mine injects at like 100 psi into the throttle body thru a tiny hole and atomises n cool shit like that.Injection into the housing will destroy ya turbo pretty fast. i wanted to run with methanol/water in a 50% mix but they tell me the methanol can affect the tune due to the fact that it is flammable.I personally cant se it affecting the tune very much but thats what the people say... I am told methanol can be substituted for metho as well. A little dubious about that one.On the subject of water injection. Why cant we use glycerol or glycol or other things ending with "OL" that lowers water temperature.? They aint flammable so cant dick with the tune ? Spose ya could wrap a icy towel around it or nitrogen freeze the bottle.. OK OK OK. I will stop thinking on the keyboard... And booster, I saved that turbo graphic thing so i can look at it and cry.

Doc

28-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Wouldn't Glycol etc result in highly toxic emmisions?

It's als quite oily, which would fowl plugs

Docktor
28-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Thank you DOCfuckinTOR fuckin chalky. How the fuck would I know. Are you plannin on bein behind me? After some research its the stuff in smoke machines.(no not those ones the disco ones) If it causes pollution I am so sueing OPUS 1 in townsville. Fuck u should try this smoke chalk dude.And its in brake fluid. stops it boiling.... sometimes....

Here another edit...In Missouri, it is against the law for anyoneto dispose of brake fluid or any used oil into the environment. Aint we lucky we live in a country where we can still hose it down the driveway ?

Doc

28-03-2007, 08:19 PM
If you think that's bad Docktor you should look into Decaf coffee. The chemicals they use to leach the caffeine out are amongst the most toxic chemicals known to man, the residues from the process are listed as the most toxic by-products produced in ANY industrial process, and no first world country actually allows decaffeination to be done within their borders, it's all done in the third world. And the ridiculous thing is that caffeine levels in natural coffee are too low to actually produce the effects that 95% of decaf drinkers complain about getting from real coffee. Makes me laugh when hippies and greenies carry on about how much 'better' decaf is for you.

(I used to do policy research for Primary Industries and Energy back in the 90's which is where I learned about this shit)

chopiesel
28-03-2007, 08:28 PM
in my experiance water isnt that great, mix it 50/50 with methnol and your talking, i used to used a small home iragation system spray nozel from bunnings with a small tap to regulate the flow, whole set up cost me about 10 bucks.

Booster
28-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Doc look at it and laugh..
Pete keeps the runs short to not load the motor any more than riding up the street.
my opinion of dyno operators not used to turbo's is they make the top end runs too long, in reality 4th gear will take 3-4 seconds nothing to be gained by having the dyno make a power run 10-15 seconds, hp doesn't change nor does the A/F .
Good luck tomorrow..

Docktor
29-03-2007, 10:14 AM
He just called, The commander is sulking and doesnt wanna talk to the computer for some reason. He is workin on it but no joy so far. :(. DAMN.... I cant understand why or how my bike can be running lean, I loaded a zero map into the commander and the injectors have been flowed from 300 cc to 400 cc's. Sooo how the hell can I be leaning out ?

Doc

latheboy
29-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Not enough fuel preasure? Hoses too small ? Filter is not flowing enough ? Zost is too open? thats all i can think of now

Docktor
29-03-2007, 10:44 AM
40 lbs fuel pressure, up to 49 adjustable under boost.Filter is a bmc dual hi flow, zort is a 4" dual cannon off a car.........Fuckin beginnin to hate power commanders with a passion... gunna buy a stand alone emcu soon as I rob the bank again.

Doc

fimpBIKES
29-03-2007, 11:03 AM
is the old school option of a bit of tape over the air-filter applicable?

damo1
29-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I have a quick question for you Ice.
it may have already been said but i aint reading the thred again.

Did you have to lower the compression ?

And what sort of boost you running?

Docktor
29-03-2007, 11:06 AM
i did the hand over the carby to a old 202 once and it sucked my hand down speared my palm on the emulsion tube. Owwwwww. I really cant see why it would be lean. The buell ecu is supposed to try and keep a/f ratio about 10.5ish.With drilled injectors it should be rich as ?

Doc

Booster
29-03-2007, 01:28 PM
no boost referencing on the powercommander, you have increased your fuel ~30% and your power `~50%
If Pete can't get it sorted on throttle position mapping which is difficult because any particular throttle position can have a varying fuel need depending on load (more load makes more boost needs more fuel) You may have to wire a Bosch 2 bar map sensor into the PC tps wire then the PC will adjust for boost not throttle position.

Docktor
29-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Really would like a talk with u Booster, Capa keeps bar sensors. Not sure on wiring it in tho ? I am shit out of time for the afr tho :(. Last i heard Pete havin hassles with pc talkin still.

Doc

Iceman
29-03-2007, 09:59 PM
quote:original post by Damo1
Did you have to lower the compression ?

And what sort of boost you running?Didn't see the need to lower the compression, the motor has done over 90,000kms, it's low enough.:(

Peaks at around 8psi[:0]

I've now done about all I can to get her ready. It's in the hands of the gods to see her make it there. 8 am departure, 645kms. Cross your fingers.

hmmmnz
06-04-2007, 12:57 AM
good luck ice man, we want to see some pictures/videos of it running :D

Iceman
06-04-2007, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZn9kc0fNyc

this was from the day we got it running.

Iceman
09-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Rode over to my parents yesterday to show them the GS, took some pics while I was there. Here's one of them.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/113948323232164.jpg

Large
09-04-2007, 04:18 PM
So it's running and reliable now Clint?

Iceman
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM
It's running.

Large
09-04-2007, 04:37 PM
:)

ozkat
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey Ice, i cant wait till you get it sorted and put it on a dyno. You are going to put it on a dyno arnt you? I think you GS is fuckin great.

Iceman
09-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah, it'll get on the dyno one day. Now that the AFR is out of the way, I can clear some bills, then I'll get back into it. I've got a few more mods planned, some of which I've already started. (Check out the rear brake resivour in the pic).

Also have to take into account the my chief technical adviser and tuner ( aka Booster) has a farm to run and family of his own. So, yeah when money, time and conditions allow, it'll be sorted and dynoed.

latheboy
11-04-2007, 08:14 AM
You said you had problems with the fuel rail .. pin holes ???? ... why dont you get a peice of extuded Al fuel rail .. its not that exy and its really good to work with ..

TurboKat
11-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I'd be looking at freshening up the top end too Clint, 90K kms will give you low compression alright but you'll be blowing half your boost past the rings & out the crankcase breather. [V]
I'm assuming you've opened up the 'case venting capacity a bit anyway?

Iceman
11-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Huh[?]

All I have done to the motor was change the oil and filter.

Booster
11-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Actually i don't think its breathing much at all,

TurboKat
11-04-2007, 07:45 PM
WOW [:0] 90K & it's not fumey [8D]
There's the old GS series bulletproofness showing through eh? [8D]
Turn it up to 11 then Icey [}:)]

hmmmnz
12-04-2007, 03:04 AM
go the gs!! :D come on ice, post some action pics :D

shift1313
12-04-2007, 08:31 AM
so how did it feel ice??????

Iceman
12-04-2007, 04:18 PM
I was do'n the best burnout the other day in my driveway. My misses came runn'n out of the house, I thought cool,she's come to get some pics. But no camera to be seen, there was however something said about the kids being asleep and something about being inconsiderate, I'm not quite sure what she was on about.

Matt, it goes about half as good as my RF, which is twice as good as it used to be.

EXBEN
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Time to tighten up that wastegate Icey.:D

Iceman
12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Nothing a couple of washes wont fix.

Iceman
11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Now that I know that this injected turbo thing actually works the time has come to pull it all apart and refine afew things. I've already taken the turbo and manifold off and got Paul to shorten the manifold by about 40mm.

I've started on a new stainless steel exhaust using a similar design as Matt (shift1313) has on his GPZ. I've started making an internal baffle for the pipe so I can run it without a can, and not attract the wrong sort of attention.

I'll post some pics in the next couple of days.

Iceman
17-05-2007, 01:31 AM
I got my baffle stuck together today. Don't know how much it'll quieten it down by. Hopefully enough to take the edge off.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/38668471349933.jpg

Iceman
17-05-2007, 01:33 AM
As you can tell it's only bronzed together so hopefully it stays in one piece.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/38668471347736.jpg

LukeWilson
18-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I am very interseted in your turbo project, i might try it next winter. I had a few questions. What turbo are you running, and whats it off of? What EFI are you running and what are you using to program it? How long as it been on, and have there been any problems?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Benz
18-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I had my exhaust completely open, for a short time, and it sounded LOUD, and nasty. So I had the smallest car resonator I could find mounted, and it has really improved the tone of the exhaust, and only cost me 130bux to get the resonator and pipe made up. Looks okay, sure it aint flash, but it doesn't seem to affect the boost, and I can get around without setting off car alarms, and going fucken deaf.

Benz
18-05-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/48496702759011.jpg

Benz
18-05-2007, 11:13 AM
It's the same inside as you're doin Ice, just perforated pipe, but it adds some depth to the sound

Benz
18-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I had my exhaust completely open, for a short time, and it sounded LOUD, and nasty. So I had the smallest car resonator I could find mounted, and it has really improved the tone of the exhaust, and only cost me 130bux to get the resonator and pipe made up. Looks okay, sure it aint flash, but it doesn't seem to affect the boost, and I can get around without setting off car alarms, and going fucken deaf.

Iceman
18-05-2007, 11:33 AM
quote:original post by LukeWilson
I am very interseted in your turbo project, i might try it next winter. I had a few questions. What turbo are you running, and whats it off of? What EFI are you running and what are you using to program it? How long as it been on, and have there been any problems?

Luke here's the parts list

: 1991 Suzuki GS 500E, 487cc DOHC parrel twin stock internals, modified sump and oil filter cover. Custom one off headers, IHI RHF3 turbo, custom stainless steel exhaust and waste gate dump pipe, one off stainless steel plenum, two Kawasaki GPZ 750 throttle bodies, custom spacing and throttle linkage, one off fuel rail. Fuelmiser FPE-240 electric fuel pump, Ryco Z200 efi fuel filter, adjustable rising rate fuel pressure regulator, Haltech F9 ECU. All plumbing for turbo is stainless steel and custom made. Flying performance BOV.

It's only been on for a couple of months now and I've hardly ridden it. I had a high pressure fuel leak from the fuel rail, the turbo sat too low and was over oiling, I'm still trying to sort out an exhaust and I need to get my wastegate actuator sorted. There's still alot for me to do before this this bike is really usable.

Hope this helps

damo1
18-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Ah Luke brother Ice is to scared to ride the high powered beast[:0]:D;)

Ah Benz why not cut the pipe and have the can just exit near the foot peg[:p]

Iceman
11-06-2007, 02:52 PM
With the limited shed time available to me lately I haven't done much to improve on the mods to the GS, I've been mucking around with a new exhaust. Here is a mock up. Once again sticky tape and cable ties have come to the rescue. I've also dropped the the forks down half an inch and raised the turbo an inch and a half. I still don't have the clearance that I wanted between the turbo and front wheel but still have some ideas left to try.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/55237050591647.jpg

Iceman
11-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Here it is from the side. The pipe has the internal baffle the I made with the help of my mate Paul. I hope it takes the sharpness out of the exhaust note, so that it doesn't attract the wrong kind of attention.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/55237050588652.jpg

damo1
11-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah yeah your on the right track thats looking sweet mate [:p]

That pipes deffinatly the way to go theres a few getting around like that around here now.;)

Jockney Rebel
11-06-2007, 06:32 PM
nice noe ice what sort of design did you use for the baffle id be interested to see it

Iceman
11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Go back a page Jim, the answer you seek is there.

latheboy
14-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Pipe looks good there Ice ... what was the name you picked and who ended up with your signed picture

Iceman
15-06-2007, 01:58 AM
I didn't end up with a winner, although 'anthrax' was the most popular and a favorite of mine, it would only suit a white bike and I'm intending on changing the color.

Booster
15-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Sprinkling of white flakes in the clear coat will fix that.;)

Iceman
19-07-2007, 09:56 PM
I've been play'n around with different headlight concepts lately, as some of you may know I have a transformer helmet which I'm planning on mounting at a later date. For the moment I wanted a less is more look so here's the latest design.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/78963445772270.jpg

Gix11
19-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I like that. What's it look like from the side?

Iceman
19-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I've also changed from MX bars to flat drag bars. All's I have to do now is finish the mounts for the lights, re-locate the ignition barrel and re-route the wiring.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/78963445773720.jpg

Iceman
19-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I'll wheel it outside if the weather is nice on the weekend and get some better pics
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/78963445770257.jpg

Iceman
21-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm planing on painting the bracket for the lights black, just to make it a little less conspicous.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/13410356887995.jpg

Iceman
21-07-2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/13410356877030.jpg

damo1
21-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Man i tell you what Ice thats real nice very minimal and neat and tidy.;)

theres an RF in the back ground there with way to much plastic mate time for a new project i recon.:D

Rocket
21-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey Ice, that's looking pretty good.
Do those lights work allright ?

HueyonaBlade
21-07-2007, 08:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by damo1

Man i tell you what Ice thats real nice very minimal and neat and tidy.;)

theres an RF in the back ground there with way to much plastic mate time for a new project i recon.:D

Come on Damo he has just got the GS up to the power ratio of a 750 , the 900 is a little way off!:D................( maybe still more than what I have [V])

Iceman
21-07-2007, 08:43 PM
quote:Original post by Rocket
Do those lights work allright ?Not sure yet mate haven't even wired them up.

shift1313
21-07-2007, 11:21 PM
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/maperez/GPz/vids/Launch2.ASF

you can hear what mine sounds like with baffles. I made 4 1/16" thick plates with a large center hole and 8 small holes around the outside. I welded one in just before the turn out and the second about and inch away from it. It seemed to help a small amount but im going to turn some endcaps on the lathe with a reduced outlet. This way i can bolt restrictions on to the endcap and tune it that way. Much better then welding it in and hoping for the best. My pipes ended up being 2 1/8", so about 54mm. I think your cone will do a good bit more then what i have but really the turbo should have quieted it down a good bit on its own. I ride with a guy that has maybe 6" of exhaust on his 750turbo and its not that loud.

pt
22-07-2007, 01:36 PM
what sorta lights are they and where did ya get em? are they those downlight things?

Iceman
22-07-2007, 03:54 PM
They're just halogen driving lights for a car Pete. Should be available for your local auto parts store.

pt
22-07-2007, 04:28 PM
ah ok cool. all the stuff ive seen so far is about a mile wide. and weighs a shitload. haveta look harder! thanks. btw, whats the clearance like with the turbo now? and how much clearance is there when the forks are compressed?