PDA

View Full Version : USD Fork Issue

zx12argh
07-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I've had my forks blasted and powder coated and now paid to have them reassembled for the 12R. The forks have been apart for about 12 months so its been awhile since I've seen them together.

I got them back yesterday however they feel "gritty" when I compress them. I think I know the reason why, I just want to see if you guys come to the same conclusion as me.

The forks were laid out on their side when I picked them up from the work shop so I sat them up right to let the oil settle and will have another look this arvo but I am pretty sure that they will be going back to the workshop.[xx(]

Large
07-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Where they cleaned properly after they were blasted?

zx12argh
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Apparently, thats what I initially thought to. Spoke to the workshop manager and he seems to think there is air trapped in the system that needs to be bled.
They are being cool about it so its no drama.

JackTar
07-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Why ask then? Stop wasting out heartbeats Pete we only get issued so many.

robmac
07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

Apparently, thats what I initially thought to. Spoke to the workshop manager and he seems to think there is air trapped in the system that needs to be bled.

Yeah, gritty air explains it all [:0]

Same thing happened when I got my stanchions blasted and powdercoated. Took a fair bit of cleaning to get all the blast material out, a simple rinse out is not enough.

Large
07-04-2010, 07:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by robmac

Same thing happened when I got my stanchions blasted and powdercoated. Took a fair bit of cleaning to get all the blast material out, a simple rinse out is not enough.

I've got an old school White Power steering damper that's never seen sand or dirt yet it feels gritty.

Maybe lots of small air bubbles?

davio
07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
yer i had a girlfriend like that once, apparently u need to use some foreplay on them, tho i cant say if it works as ive never used it

robmac
07-04-2010, 08:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

quote:Originally posted by robmac

I've got an old school White Power steering damper that's never seen sand or dirt yet it feels gritty.

Maybe lots of small air bubbles?

You going to rebuild it to find out whats causing it? Be interested to know if air bubbles will do that..

zx12argh
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
They explanation I got was the air in the fluid interferes with the valves so they open and shut so you get a stuttering type feel to the motion. After leaving the forks vertical overnight they felt a lot better but still not perfect.

The workshop manager reckons he never lays forks flat after they've been filled with oil to prevent this from happening. They had lay mine flat to protect them from being knocked over, so murphys law dictates that air gets into mine.

And JackTar, sorry for wasting your heartbeats mate, I know how precious yours are to you now that they've been cut short from your nasty bum sex diseases [:P]