PDA

View Full Version : Registering a bike from overseas - what's the go?

ACTAngler
28-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know what the process is for registering a bike imported from the USA (assuming proof of ownership is all ok)?

It's a 1975 model and I am in the ACT.

Thanks.

336LJ
28-03-2010, 01:12 PM
just a guess - but it sounds like it still has to conform to ADR (my 71 LC didn't so I could run 4 different size tires if I wanted to)

I think it would need a plate, like the imports have that say when it was imported and that it was built and conforms with ADR.
I mentioned in another post that for a car with no compliance plate, we had to get a letter from the manufacturer. but you might be able to just get a dodgy roadworthy?

Large
28-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Check out the customs website for info about importing vehicles- It will probably need an import approval before getting here. Or maybe ring one of the companies that offer to ship bikes from septopia and ask what's involved.

Being that old it's unlikely to need to conform to many ADRs...30 year old seppo muscle cars don't need to be converted to RHD

ACTAngler
28-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys. It's already in Australia, so I assume it has the required import papers etc. I just need to know what I need for local rego. I'm assuming a roadworthy certificate at a minimum, just wondering what else. I'll check with ACT RTA tomorrow, just thought someone might know.

Redmohawk
28-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Roadworthy and evidence it meets ADR's of year of manufacture IE simmlar model sold in Aus would be a good start. Talk with manufactures if model was imported . You can hope to bluff your way through ACT RTA but I dont like your chances.

RevHead
28-03-2010, 06:49 PM
one of my mates bought a 1990 fzr600 from canada, i thought he,d have trouble but he took it for a blue slip here in nsw,and identity check and it went straight through

alfiestorm
29-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Yep you will need import approval from the oz customs type people. To get this you need to get a vechcle import application form from them and send it back with as much info you can get from the bike manufacturer, sounds daunting but what that means is look up some old sales brochure for the bike which has the specs for it and print it off then send it with the application form. Thats what I done getting my bike from the uk to oz.
One slight difference in your case is that once approval has been granted, photo copy the original document and keep the copy your self and the original will have to be sent over to be placed with any other documention the bike has including its registration papers from its orinating country USA and permanent export papers from the USA as well, failiure to send over the original permission to import document so when it arrives the ozzie customs can see straight away that the bike has been granted entry to oz if not it is sent back at your expense or disposed of and there will be jack all you can do about it.
Once it has arrived and paper work checked and passed it is then inspected by customs for anything that shouldnt be there ie drugs and shit normal practise.
Once that is done you will be notified that you can pick the bike up once you have paid the gst due of course.
The it a case of identity check from which you will be given some extra digits to get stamped into the frame at the begining of the original number and a road worthy check then it off to get it reg'od and given a plate and enjoy.
Thats how it was in south australia anyway.

alf

ACTAngler
01-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I rang the woman back to get the chassis number so I could chase up the import approval and the bloody thing had been sold!

(a 1975 CB400F for $500 - I should have just bought it and worried about rego later!)