PDA

View Full Version : On yer bike … as long as it has a motor

rod185651
23-03-2010, 03:31 PM
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/malcolmfarr/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/on_yer_bike_as_long_as_it_has_a_motor/

bladehunter
23-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I posted something but realised half way through I didn't have a point, but did that stop me HELL NO!!! Tho the mod may.

I wont comment about cyclists as I'm religiously biased against them...once again I've realised I don't have a point

Seifer
23-03-2010, 04:14 PM
"Bicycles, on the other hand, delay traffic significantly. Possibly because their riders are occupied by checking themselves out in their mirrors."

Yes.

Jup
23-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Given that the vast majority of car trips are single occupant, not including family journeys, it makes sense in every aspect to commute by bike.

Let's start a revolution I say!

336LJ
24-03-2010, 01:44 AM
jesus.. too much exposure to facebook - I was looking for the "like" button to this thread!

fimpBIKES
24-03-2010, 04:51 AM
it really shits me how some people have that attitude about 2-wheelers (referring to comments)

we had a "safety day" at work yesterday, got a big talking to about how safety includes travelling to work and what you do at home
apparently the poor little company is being inconvenienced by employees falling off ladders at home and then not being able to work for a few weeks, they mentioned "letting down the team" a lot etc

i wonder how long it will be before legally employers can choose not to hire someone because they ride motorcycles or participate in certain sports

now excuse me, i have to wrap myself in bubblewrap before i drive to work
just in case ;)

DiscoDan
24-03-2010, 07:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

it really shits me how some people have that attitude about 2-wheelers (referring to comments)

we had a "safety day" at work yesterday, got a big talking to about how safety includes travelling to work and what you do at home
apparently the poor little company is being inconvenienced by employees falling off ladders at home and then not being able to work for a few weeks, they mentioned "letting down the team" a lot etc

i wonder how long it will be before legally employers can choose not to hire someone because they ride motorcycles or participate in certain sports

It could be because they care as well :) When I first joined this company we were operating the parking police in Singapore on bikes and they had a pretty high hit rate. For safety reasons we've put them in bongo vans and the injury rates have dropped a lot (as you'd expect)

The big boss here made a half-attempt to have a clause put into my contract prohibiting bike racing but I wasn't going to budge on it. I doubt you could legally be forced to accept it if you got into a legal bun-fight. It's a basic discrinamtion thing I'd assume, if you can't discriminate against someone with a gammy back how can you not hire a friendly rider

Jup
24-03-2010, 02:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan
we were operating the parking police in Singapore on bikes and they had a pretty high hit rate.

Well there's your problem!

"Yeah, I hit a parking officer... went through a fence and two paddocks to get him though..."