PDA

View Full Version : Whats deez fings???

VFighteR
23-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Looking at removing the airbox and fitting filter pods for more room under the tank, but I dont know what these brass bits are for. Can anyone advise? Pictured in Fig A

Then...if I removed the box, what happenes to the outlet hose in Fig B?? Hmmmmmm......

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269391197.jpg

Thanks peeps =)

latheboy
23-03-2010, 12:50 PM
B looks like a drain for any water that gets in there.
A look like speed thingies. Stuff to do with the way the carbs/ TB work.. just block them up and dont worry about it.:D;)

damo1
23-03-2010, 03:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

B looks like a drain for any water that gets in there.
A look like speed thingies. Stuff to do with the way the carbs/ TB work.. just block them up and dont worry about it.:D;)

Isn't B a engine breather?????? so the engine fumes go into the air box????

I bet if you tip water down it it will go into the engine, not on the ground.;)

Go on try it see who's right:D

latheboy
23-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Could be you do seem to be right alot.

I was taking the piss BTW

El_Hefty
23-03-2010, 03:38 PM
A. appear to be locking tabs so one bolt if it comes loose is still held in place by the others and retained by the bracket. Dont want little metal object getting stuck in slides or worse in the engine

B. Crankcase ventilation. By law it has to be there in some way shape or form to be roadworthy but this could be done away with if you dont need to have it checked, just shove a small filter on the end of it or have it vent into a little catch can

RevHead
23-03-2010, 05:11 PM
little large got it there locking tabs bin em, wot i did wit the breather was to fit a small t piece in between 1 and 4 pods and some rubber pipe the connected it to the breather hose ,so it still wots ,,in your case i,d put the t piece between 3 n 4 pods and get it to breath through there

VFighteR
23-03-2010, 08:27 PM
so what your saying is that it crank case gasses escape via this hose? Once I remove that baseplate and put the filter pods on, a small filter pod on the end of that hose should be ok?

oldskool
23-03-2010, 09:52 PM
yup with a length of hooze broo

El_Hefty
23-03-2010, 10:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by VFighteR

so what your saying is that it crank case gasses escape via this hose? Once I remove that baseplate and put the filter pods on, a small filter pod on the end of that hose should be ok?

Yes Always preferable to returning it into the inlet as its dirty air and will help foul up your inlet with carbon, oil, unburnt hydrocarbons just shit really heres a pic of one on what looks like a sr20

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kAI4GIVzvMs/R1RH_UWV8NI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/lbS9-UYTVqc/s1600-R/car%2Bwork%2B076.jpg

336LJ
24-03-2010, 01:16 AM
I got in touch with a bloke off ebay (pointed him to this forum) with a mad zx9r that has the airbox removed, and pod filters. I'll be heading down this avenue I think *bookmarks this topic*

RevHead
24-03-2010, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by VFighteR

NO,the reason for the breather is to circulate air through the motor to remove any shitty air in there and condensation ,if you put a filter on it and not have postive crank case ventilastion ,you engine will get all white and pusy looking inside,, which is water n oil mixed as a result of condensation ,,which will get into everywhere and fuck your motor,cheers