PDA

View Full Version : Redmohawk's New project: GPX600

Redmohawk
22-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey there heres a photo of betty with her new bars on lots more to do as you can see! I hope to have her more fighter looking by ASF10.
Front plastics will be gone after tomorrows roadworthy n registration , headlight n indicators sorted almost. Tail will be something off another kwaka prob something like and er6 i think. Custom swing arm and wheel with a 180 tyre to follow shortly and a supercharger on the way! Anyone have a sujestion for a doner for injection to get rid of the carbs on a GPX600????

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269299523.jpg

Iceman
22-03-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm using old GPZ750 throttle bodies on my GS, Haltech ecu and a few other bits and pieces.

VFighteR
22-03-2010, 08:16 PM
thats one setta risers man! what are they 57 meters? lol

Redmohawk
22-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I didn't know the GPZ750 was injected top stuff thanks for the heads up ,Ii have a diy injection computer here somewhere I might pull my finger out and put it together ! lol Yeah the risers go up a long way ! Easy enough to shorten them harder to go back up , so I left them tall to start off with . Funny though i have bad wrists n get lots of pins n neadles quickly with the olds factory bars, with the new bars up so high I havent had a problem so far but the longest I've gone is 70km in one stint. With the old ones 30 km was enough to have my hands playing up.

JackTar
22-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Fuckin hell mate don't knock ya head on that brace.

RevHead
23-03-2010, 08:04 PM
there the tallest risers ive ever seen

Redmohawk
23-03-2010, 09:42 PM
HaHa Heads hard prob bend the brace! Actualy like the bars up that high now , done a few hundred k's with them now wrists love them!

RED ZX
23-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Well if your gonna have the bars that high, make the bike like a bloody big motard come fighter. Would be an easy look to go for with the ER6 seat.

Surt
24-03-2010, 12:39 AM
i see u consume a proper fiery water Big Chief! [8D] efi conversion and suppa charger! kunt wait to see it!

Redmohawk
24-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Yep Yep stuff air into it till the heads rattle like a steam kettle ! lol

Surt
24-03-2010, 08:28 AM
was that an indian incantation? lol any way it reminded me me other lives centuries ago [}:)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd0rzixfuHk

Redmohawk
25-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Hmmmmm found the ideal Super charger on evilbay last night, cheap easy to rebuild with lots of aftermarket bits for more boost and off the shelf ! Even designed for a 3 cyl motor of smaller capacity @ 12 psi, seadoo rxp supercharger! $200 second hand with new clutch installed capable of 160kw standard hi po bits bring it up to 220kw and all below 45,000 rpm ! Can be spun to 100,000 with hi po parts installed for mega boost lol. Now who's got a set of GXZ750 throtle bodys ???????

Redmohawk
25-03-2010, 06:16 PM
injection computer aquired.

Surt
25-03-2010, 10:48 PM
aquired? :D pics or never happened! also what exactly blower have u acquired? roots! bloody roots!!!, thats bloody dirt cheap aus$200 for a blower [8D] as for the tb, go to evil gay again! ;)

Redmohawk
25-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Electronics in transit from US four days they say! Belive it when it gets here ! Charger is centrifical used evil gay off jet ski 215kw unit cheep as chips lol easy fitment for a creative bloke like you (Surt) brand spanka factory about $680!!!!!! but only about 8 to 10 psi into motor it was designed for at 42,000 rpm but if your fitting it to your bike you get to pick gearing (factory use straight cut gears at ratio around 4.5. to 1) lol they will handle 80,000 rpm factory so i have been told, once fitted with aftermarket bearings housing and impeller (cost about $500 for upgrade kit ) skys the limit(over 18psi at 43,000rpm) balanced at 200,000 rpm in a vacume(not sure i think that would be a good idea though tip speed would be well over destruction point in service at that speed)

Redmohawk
26-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Sorry Surt photos for you to scrutinize, there is a clutch formed by two washers one eather side of the gear, factory these are ceramic and tend to self destruct at random from 10 hours use to 60 standard upgrade is to replace these with stainless steel versions, pushed together with thrust washers. Comes out of a seadoo RXP , seens there about to be picked up cheap if you look about, just dont bid on the one i'm getting lol there are at least 2 on evil gay atm.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269567414.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269591927.jpg

Surt
26-03-2010, 02:16 AM
[:I] thanks for compliment big chief, no worries i havent played enough with turbos yet and btw first thing'd come into my creative nut was why not to use some big truck turbo's compressor housing and the chda with shaft? i could get it nearly for free at the nearest truck shop or even at my job... the only things confusing me is the bloody clutch, what is it for, i forgot if ever knew [xx(] im not into blowers yet and i prefer not to keep odd info in my head :) i think that roots type is more effective and thus more expensive... i tried once to bid on vw corrado's used blower /i had a client to make a fast buck ;)/, my max bid was $250 but it was sold for $460 [:0]

Redmohawk
26-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Roots chargers have advantages like being everywhere and people being used to them but thats about it , they heat the air heaps are inefficient (high horsepower to compressed air output at high boost levels (better at low (6 psi)) and create pulsation due to the lobe design of compressor wich causes issues with injection on smaller motors (say under 800cc) centrifical chargers can be very efficient at higher boost levels (20psi) much less heating of compressed air, much lower than roots charger and turbo (charger i'm using has plastic housing!) Not to sure why they put a clutch on factory charger, But at a guess i'd say combination of to prevent backfire causing damage of compressor wheel and possably to reduce compressor surge (high rpm high boost, shut throttle and very high boost)

Yeah I've played with turbos as chargers from small ones with compressor wheels 30mm in diametre to truck turbos of 120mm diametre , buying off the shelf has its advantages, turbine wheels and housings of turbos are designed to compress air at high rpms (over 100,000) truck turbos can be run at much lower rpms but weight is big (over 5 kg for compressor on one i have here!) Off the shelf with hi po parts avalable at such a low cost with a design built for bike size motors light weight means easy for me ! Building a drive line to spin a turbo at 150,000rpm bearings etc is a big pain in the ass and when they let go they make a big mess! lol

I even used a remote comtrol car brushless motor of 10 kw to drive a truck turbo directly at 80,000rpm , compact cheepish (all up $1,300) resonably light weight 4.2 kg but 450 amp current draw at 24volts ! not bike friendly lol.

Surt
26-03-2010, 01:51 PM
haha! cheepish and bike freindly right! plastic housing! [:0] perhaps carbon fibre wheel also available?

Redmohawk
26-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Standard wheel is mag/alloy carbon wheel is aftermarket, yep carbon fiber is plastic ! Chemical long chain polamers hardend with a catalist around a fiber made of carbon. If it aint metal is plastic,wood,food,drink,dirt or shit lol 7 basic elements to the world! Cheapish doesnt mean inferiour if you do it right yourself as I'm sure you know. I prefer to build it myself break it learn from the mistake and build it better. Can you guess I didnt pay attention in english class ????? sorry for the spelling never been a strong point!

Surt
26-03-2010, 10:41 PM
same with me mate but i thought its creative spelling :)

evad
27-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Did you order your MS from diy autotune?

Redmohawk
27-03-2010, 09:37 AM
MS ?

Redmohawk
27-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Ah MS MegaSquirt , put it down to sat morning lol Yeah evad from autotune y?

Surt
27-03-2010, 05:15 PM
hi DaveevaD! :)
which one? msi or msii?
welcome to the squirters club mohawk! [8D]

Redmohawk
27-03-2010, 08:11 PM
MS1 ver 2.2 board

evad
27-03-2010, 10:38 PM
hey surt, sup? Hows hows the bike coming on? Have you had it running yet?

Surt
27-03-2010, 11:38 PM
nope still haven bought everythin :(

Redmohawk
30-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Remohawk plastic surgery ! Bettys ER6 bum turned up yesterday but had the wrong bits in the box so off on betty to Melboune to swap them over ! Once home a quick frame was tacked together before it got to dark and there we have it ! Much more to do before fridays ride to AFR10 !

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269946427.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269966113.jpg

Redmohawk
30-03-2010, 08:11 PM
A few photo's of the work done today. Is all returned to standard tonight for rego tomorrow at vic roads, then back home at lunch time to sit it all back on, plus tank needs painting and I still need a new speedo etc before friday morning!

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269969317.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269969213.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269952586.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1269974246.jpg

Redmohawk
01-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Bike as of wed night lots more to do but getting there now.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1270135929.jpg

latheboy
01-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Thats a bit of a weapon red, i would have lifted the tail a bit more but hey its not my bike...

Redmohawk
01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Latheboy yeah i think its going up more soon (prob make it adjustable is very temp atm) tail is far from done has all been a big rush job, work gets in the way of fun some times.

So far it owes me 3 days work 9:30 till 6 first two days and 10 till 5 today to get it to this. Will give it a rest for a while got to get some real work done and roadworthy big bad Burtha (the bus) for rego ,she needs alot of work to suspention shackels rubbers brakes oil leaks everywhere etc etc.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1270165622.jpg

Redmohawk
06-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Pod filters turned up today wrong size 2mm to big in Diametre but got that sorted lol Wide band oxygen sensor arived as well time to start looking hard for a TB to fit lol.

Redmohawk
12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Pod filters on, where the supercharger will sit when fitted.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1271072514.jpg

Redmohawk
12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Rejetted betty today after riding her around town for a few days with the carbs all up the shit from the new pod filters.
Wow what a difference! The open exhaust and pods have made a huge difference now the carbs are right, found the cause of the mystery intermitant 6,000 rpm rev limiter turned out there was a chunk of shit stuck in the vacume switch on the fuel tap in the tank so the vac valve would only work when it felt like it. Starving the carbs randomly when it bounced into the vac hole, turning the fuel tap off.

Pillion pegs going on tomorrow as well as new sealed lead acid battery going up under the seat tidie up the back under the seat n put a clear plastic inner mud gard to protect the pods from road grime and moltern rubber. :) And a clear plastic chain gard if i get time.

timbo
12-04-2010, 09:27 PM
looking the goods mate

dingo
12-04-2010, 10:17 PM
that looks wild man [:P]

Redmohawk
12-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Getting there tail is going up another 150mm asap under seat pipes custom muff under there to. Rip out centre stand. lots to do !

Redmohawk
13-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Ok first FUCK FUCK FUCKETY FUCK!!!!!!!

Right now thats out of the way i feel a little better, Betty is fucking me around still thought i'd sorted the 6,000 rpm issue everyone has said IT'S FUEL well fucked if i can find it lol. Thought it was sorted the other day rode it around after stripping the carbs and rejetting it all tuning went well neadles needed to be moved richer a little and went from 105 jets all the way up to 120's rode around great , all was well . Parked her and was grinning like no other , get on this morn and take her for a flog all's well then woops 6,000 rpm is all you get boy Hmmmmmm . Carbs apart look at everything fuel tap the lot . Must be coil or electric fault somewhere , almost feels like the timing is retarded when it plays up. So cracked the shits modding my CROW to make a 4 line engine aniliser tomorrow to look at the coil output and see whats going on!

On a lighter note I put the new sealed lead acid battery in and moved all the wiring shit out of the way so now she looks a little tidier under the seat and bent up a little plastic to protect the pods from road grime.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1271152815.jpg

Redmohawk
13-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Hmmmm just worked out with a little modding I might just get a 180 wide tyre into the original swing arm ! Thinking a water to air intercooler will be the best option with multipul throttle bodies compact effecient and best throttle responce! Thanks booster for the info today has made things much clearer in my head for plans ahead.

Redmohawk
15-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Well random 6,000rpm issue fixed was cdi box !

Booster
15-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Good find ,there difficult to nail down, probably the same sort of issue i'm chasing on my 750, just going standalone on that be a whole lot better for what i'm doing
Great meeting you the other day , always enjoy a good forced induction talk, passed on some of your experiance with searching superchargers to a mate today, he is going to supercharge his big bang Triumph to fix the hp deficit caused by the big bang 240 deg gap in firing

Redmohawk
15-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah was a pain in the ass to find, ended up making a home built engine aniliser out of my cro and a timing light to try and nail it down, managed to find another CDI box but its off a mates bike and have to return it! So looking for a replacement, they dont make them anymore . When i go injection wasn't keen on driving ignition so have to chase up a replacement. Other option is to make a replacement from scratch hmmmmmm.

RevHead
15-04-2010, 09:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

Ok first FUCK FUCK FUCKETY FUCK!!!!!!!

Right now thats out of the way i feel a little better, Betty is fucking me around still thought i'd sorted the 6,000 rpm issue everyone has said IT'S FUEL well fucked if i can find it lol. Thought it was sorted the other day rode it around after stripping the carbs and rejetting it all tuning went well neadles needed to be moved richer a little and went from 105 jets all the way up to 120's rode around great , all was well . Parked her and was grinning like no other , get on this morn and take her for a flog all's well then woops 6,000 rpm is all you get boy Hmmmmmm . Carbs apart look at everything fuel tap the lot . Must be coil or electric fault somewhere , almost feels like the timing is retarded when it plays up. So cracked the shits modding my CROW to make a 4 line engine aniliser tomorrow to look at the coil output and see whats going on!

On a lighter note I put the new sealed lead acid battery in and moved all the wiring shit out of the way so now she looks a little tidier under the seat and bent up a little plastic to protect the pods from road grime.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1271152815.jpg

[V]having a similar problem wit my gsxr1100 ,ive jetted the carbs got pods open exhaust,etc,ride yesterday great go out to start it this morning running on 3 cylinders check everything plus fit new plugs ,,ride i about 70ks park it go to start it an fuck me its on 3 cylinders again im outta ideas:(

oldskool
15-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Mate that tail is too low lift it and watch it pop tail must never be flat.

Redmohawk
16-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Oldskool I aggree it looks gay to! Got to go up asap! Now the other issues are on the way to being sorted its on the way up this weekend, prob another 150mm at least i think. Lower brace is being moved so it looks more clear underneath , make it easyer to put the under seat exhaust in to!

Redmohawk
16-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Revhead if its running on 3 it wont be the control box (asuming your bike only runs two coils, ie one for outside pair or cyl's and another for inside) try touching headders when you start it and its running on 3 see which one doesnt heat up as fast , if you can oick it out of the four then swap the wires going into those two cyl's on the same coil, let the bike cool and do the heat test again. If the dogdie cyl moves it your coil playing up or lead plug etc (hair line cracks in plug can form and arc out plug rub marks on lead can arc out etc . If not time to look at your value clearances. If you can't tell which cyl it is with heat on your hand get a hold of a infared thermometer ($40 on ebay if your lucky) it well tell you which one if it is just one is playing up. If its not spark it fuel probably.

Redmohawk
16-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Hmmmm just made a quick cheap manometre (about 8 bucks) and balanced the carbs on betty , WOW out by a fucking mile ! Try 850mm of water between 1 and 2 and 600mm between 3 and 4 , betty now lifts the front wheel in second 6 inches just with a good twist of the throttle! Before she was a bit sedate, now where did i put that MS box of goodies fool injection is on the way!

Booster
16-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Will the ms trigger off coil ign or do you need amissing tooth wheel or pulse and sync

Redmohawk
16-04-2010, 03:04 PM
You can trigger it almost any way you like really is easy enough to do it from a dedicated hall effect sensor in the pickup housing , but from the coil is also fine. I think I'll go with a dedicated pickup.

RevHead
16-04-2010, 07:57 PM
i,l swap the leads in the morning ,i,ll let ya know,cheers

Redmohawk
16-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey rev don't mean to knock your skills but when you jetted the bike any chance its running to rich? could be fowking the plug on one cyl to ? Pus another possability easy to check pull the plugs and have a sqiz at em before you go messing with leads might be an idea. if ones fouling up it will be obvious.

Elapid
16-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Looking great Red. Be even better with that tail up at the back.

Kris.

RevHead
17-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Hey rev don't mean to knock your skills but when you jetted the bike any chance its running to rich? could be fowking the plug on one cyl to ? Pus another possability easy to check pull the plugs and have a sqiz at em before you go messing with leads might be an idea. if ones fouling up it will be obvious.
[}:)]its not fowlin the plugs its been doing it before i fitted the exhaust or the pods or the stage 3 dyno kits,even riding to work it,l just drop number 1,,if you put a new plug ino number 1 is fine ,then 70ks up th road it,l need a new plug again and the plugs electrode is worn down,not melted just gone but the plug is the same colour as 2,3,4 ,i was leaning to the coil being fucked

Redmohawk
17-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Chuck up a photo of the plug dude ! Is it worn on the inside (where the spark should be) or the outside (towards the piston?) before you take out the plug from the bike use a black texta to mark the ceramic with a vertical line to use as a referance so you can see where the wear is in relation to the valves if its on the side of the electrode (ie valve gap out on exhaust side ?) , I'm no engine tuner by a long shot but that sounds very strange to me! Worn down plug that fast sounds like extream heat maybe not enough to melt the plug but eroding it. Piston might be coping a hiding, or some very quiet detonation at cruze speed? Did you balance the carbs and reset idle screws? after the rejet? if not at cruze speeds cyl one may be running a little lean (could have been running lean before rejetting if idle jet wasnt changed or carbs out of balance before pods were fitted) Get a hold of a small torch or a bore scope and have a look down your spark plug hole to see the piston crown , look for a shiny top with pitting if you see it stop riding asap and richen things up !

boris
17-04-2010, 12:37 PM
what plugs do u run pete? mine was doing similar when run R plugs piss them off if u are go iridium

RevHead
17-04-2010, 07:23 PM
im running r plugs,,i found today that it dropped number 3,so i took out the plugs checked spark,,number 2 was firing occasionally ,and 3 wasnt, so i pulled the arrestors off,and fuck me the ends of the leads were fucked so i cut them back put them back on and i got a 4 cylinder again horay,i got iridiums sitting at repco just need to pick up

Redmohawk
18-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Bloody great mate quick cheap fix! Funny it's usally something simple, pitty we don't go there first eh lol.

RevHead
18-04-2010, 07:38 PM

Bloody great mate quick cheap fix! Funny it's usally something simple, pitty we don't go there first eh lol.
[}:)]as always we start on the cheap shit then work our way in from there glad i found it ,oh its running abit learn gunna lift the needles tomorrow;

USH
18-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Just drop that I saw you on the main street of shepp today just before lunch.... And is the bloke in the picture holding the supercharger you? or a mate, coz i know that bloke from somewhere (or i've seen him around Shepp a bit)....

Booster
18-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Thats Jason in the pic

Redmohawk
19-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Bloke with the super charges name is jason he rides a busa, red n white 750 and a XR600 depending on his mood , I've got red hair but it's usally peroxide blonde

Redmohawk
22-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Bettys ass has been fooled with a bit more lol

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1274541312.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1274537925.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1274562615.jpg

RevHead
22-05-2010, 06:13 PM
hey red i fitted coils i got from england,and i got iridium plugs in her ,rejetted the carbs took out the 55,jets n fitted 48 size jets ,and put my standard primeries back in ,,fuck it goes now,it wheel spins whislt lifting the front wheel

Redmohawk
22-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Got to love that pete ! Injection well on the way to next step for betty, soldering iron hot right now lol Should give her another 10 kw at the back tyre and make her lots more fun. Then its supercharger time :)

rod185651
22-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Mate I love the ratbike fighter, so how long until Betty gets the supercharger treatment?

Redmohawk
22-05-2010, 10:20 PM
rod injection holdup is just a pump and throttle bodys then the charger after the injection is sorted, But first I want to fit a wider 17inch rim and 170 or 180 tyre on her Prob get the rim and tyre sorted in the next two weeks the current tyre on her is about 1/2 mm off the tread wear indicator so it will last a few weeks lol burnout and then fit new one lol then onto the injection.