PDA

View Full Version : R1 with temp guage reading HI constantly

Bear
18-03-2010, 08:56 PM
My 04 R1 is giving me the shirties - It used to be intermitent but now it's on all the time as soon as I turn the ignition on - the temp guage reads HI and although the bike will turn over, it won't fire.
I've checked wiring harnesses - ok (even found some wires that needed re-soldering but didn't get rid of HI reading).
So I'm guessing that the temp sender das is kaput, yah?

I have the workshop manual but the temp sender designer must've been absent the day they made the manual cause where the friggin thing is on the bike isn't shown. It just says that it's there... somewhere.

Help needed please before I send it off to a wallet emptying workshop where they'll probably fart around over it for hours.

BANDITROD
18-03-2010, 09:15 PM
its usually on the back of the motor near where your rad hose goes in....

STM77
19-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Try this link, it gives a location of all electrical componants and you can zoom to get an idea of what it looks like. May help

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/45/Year/2004/ModelID/1891/Model/YZFR1S_YZFR1/GroupID/344298/Group/ELECTRICAL_1_

angrypom
19-03-2010, 08:09 PM
it has probally gone to ground giving the high reading as for not starting did that model come out with some type of watchdog system to stop you cooking the motor?

Bear
20-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I finally found the sensor - right under the injector body on the left side. Thanks to that microfich, STM.
It just screws into the rear of the barrel body.

I'm still gonna have to shop it becuase I need a special yamaha tool/socket to remove it (it has a bulky electrical fitting on top of it) or drop the engine.

Yeh, angrypom, once it reads high, it disables fire-up.

All good help though, guys. Cheers.

RevHead
20-03-2010, 03:28 PM
if the bike has got hi temp cut out fitted the motor wont start give the wiring a bit of a pull to see if the gauge plays up or works wit the key on,if it moves and starts youve got a earthed out wire,if after that nothing happens unplug the temp sender then it should start ,,good luck

Bear
21-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Cheers Pete. I've unplugged the connector from the Temp sensor and it made no difference so I'll go back to a wiring wiggle around the instrument cluster and see what happens. My first instinct was a bad earth but I've been unable to find it.

RevHead
21-03-2010, 07:45 PM
unplug the cluster n checkit from there,can u ride it wit the cluster unplugged cheers

livewire
24-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Suspect you've got too much earth, not a bad one.
Look for squashed wires.
G

Bear
12-04-2010, 12:42 PM
The saga continues...

Took it to a reputable bike shop and they came up with nothing. They think I could have an overseas dash on the bike cause it reads fahrenheit only and they can't get their diagnostics machine to communicate with it.

I'm thinking that it's the dash unit so I'll have to head to the wereckers and try a swap or something like that.

RevHead
13-04-2010, 07:34 AM
well if that was the case it would have a miles per hour speedo cause except for the states the rest of the world is metric ,,hey take it to a good auto electrian ,,as bike shops couldnt give a rats there only mechanics,cheers

Bear
11-05-2010, 10:08 PM
K, I've just about had enough of this temp reading crap on my bike. Anyone know of a good auto electrician in Sydney who does bikes?