PDA

View Full Version : QLD Licence Plate Scanning Stings

BOHEMION
17-03-2010, 09:39 AM
QPS are setting licence plate scanning stings across the state. This is where an officer will stand in either on-comming or passing position with a dedicated mobile camera, the camera can read multiple plates at any one time. If anything is flagged on the camera system it sends the message to a team ahead. Now because these can be outstanding warrant flags the police ahead will usually be a team of 6 or so officers, so should be easy to spot. These are NOT speed enforcement cameras.

336LJ
17-03-2010, 01:58 PM
then they are illegal - especially considering the police HAVE to have a reason to be able to utilise the information stored in a database on someone, BEFORE they initiate some form of search or intercept of them.
the cops in the uk arent supposed to, but they use the point to point cameras that use auto plate recognition, to sift out anyone with even a slight bad mark against their name.
Goodbye personal privacy.
These databases and camera systems are being abused to keep a heavy hand on the general public. what assholes.

Jup
17-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Are you shitting me LJ?

I thought it was standard procedure for the police to check a plate and see if there were outstanding warrants etc on motorists prior to pulling them over?

Surely the only ones with anything to fear are the criminals?

suxukifreak
17-03-2010, 03:24 PM
I got pulled over 4 years ago for a non paid parking ticket after the cop behind me did a plate scan.
Had to pay $80 on the spot. :(

Tony OW31
17-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I got done on the moggill ferry about 5 years ago.
Bastards pulled up behind me on the ferry, knocked on my window and asked me my name. told em and they said there is a warrant out for you for an unpaid speeding fine, I knew I didn't have any unpaid ones, but they were adamant.
Long story short, they cuffed me, carted me away and put me in the lockup, wife was at work (she's a nurse so she couldn't just go home)
She finished her shift, went home, got the receipt they wanted, brought it to the station and they let me go with some lame excuse about it not being in their computer that I had paid. No fuckin apology for depriving me of my liberty for 6 hrs, leaving my kids waiting at the bus stop for 1 1/2 hrs, wife having to do a 100k round trip to show em the proof. Absolute fuckin cunts the lot of em.

El_Hefty
17-03-2010, 10:44 PM
now its all automated as they drive they have a little camera that scans the traffic and looks for plates and identifies them, if it comes up that the owner has outstandings is unlicensed or or or or it alerts the copper who will then more often than not pull you over.

Got my concreter on his way to my place for unlicenced and they took his car there and then on the highway cop said it was purely the camera got him as he wasnt doing anything wrong to attract attention, apart from driving without a valid license that is

336LJ
18-03-2010, 12:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jup

Are you shitting me LJ?

I thought it was standard procedure for the police to check a plate and see if there were outstanding warrants etc on motorists prior to pulling them over?

Surely the only ones with anything to fear are the criminals?

If they are using the ANPR system (I'm assuming the police database, and the ANPR database would be intertwined somehow if it hasn't already been done), they have to pretty much have a legit reason to USE that camera system/database to gain access to someones personal information for ANY purpose.
Well that was the idea when they rolled them out, or at least thats what they told the general public.

I guess if they are using the latest "police issue device", its just something to speed things up.But (to make it easier for me and explained more beterer, I'll copy past this comment)

quote:
"According to (my) informed sources, both red light and speed cameras, whether the latter are fixed or not, do not comply with the requirements that exist in all States/Territories and the Constitution for measuring devices used for the purpose of imposing legal penalties to be subjected to testing, before deployment, by seeking compliance with the National Measurements Act 1960.

In order for these devices to be legitimate, they must have an NSC number (or what is termed “pattern approval”), and none of them do. Given the manufacturer’s own admission of the many possible causes of erroneous readings, it is unlikely that any of them CAN achieve the required standard. Note that the Act is Federal legislation, and the Constitution makes clear that Federal law supervenes State and Territory law.

So, whether or not the law of a subordinate jurisdiction appears to give legal standing to these devices, and whether or not these devices contribute positively or (as some say), more likely, negatively to road safety, they don’t have legal leg (or tripod) to stand on."

I suspect these licence plate scanning devices would have to conform to the above mentioned criteria for use by QPS (or any state for that matter) and I doubt they will either. but seeing as though they are not a speed detection device, they might not have to so thats a bit of a mystery at the moment.

Its no secret "law enforcement" agencies have used the ANPR system as a MASS data collection tool, and abused the use of the information in that system.
I dunno mate its more big brother shit, and a tighter grip on anything and everything we do, under the guise of road safety, or "policing"
Sure it might catch the odd crim - but at what cost to yours or anyones privacy.
I personally have a problem with that, and that is the exact reason I am mid way through a dispute with a government agency who claim to use that ANPR system to obtain my details, demand I pay them money, but without providing me documentation/proof they are actually operating lawfully (constitutionally) and not in violation of my right of passage and privacy, and that there is any evidence other than a typed up letter proving I infact owe them anything.
I'm also seeking clarification as to what they are doing with my information, and who it can be passed on to without my permission.

http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/ANPR-Surv.html

336LJ
18-03-2010, 12:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31

I got done on the moggill ferry about 5 years ago.
Bastards pulled up behind me on the ferry, knocked on my window and asked me my name. told em and they said there is a warrant out for you for an unpaid speeding fine, I knew I didn't have any unpaid ones, but they were adamant.
Long story short, they cuffed me, carted me away and put me in the lockup, wife was at work (she's a nurse so she couldn't just go home)
She finished her shift, went home, got the receipt they wanted, brought it to the station and they let me go with some lame excuse about it not being in their computer that I had paid. No fuckin apology for depriving me of my liberty for 6 hrs, leaving my kids waiting at the bus stop for 1 1/2 hrs, wife having to do a 100k round trip to show em the proof. Absolute fuckin cunts the lot of em.

pretty sure that qualifies as false arrest - or kidnapping lol! should have chased them for compensation, or at the very least a nice formal written apology for you to frame on the wall.

alfiestorm
18-03-2010, 02:25 AM
ANPR as it is commonly known is used under the umbrella of anti terrorist laws, in most civilised countries that use it and just so happens to pick up every thing else such as stolen cars and bikes and all the other stuff.
ANPR database is cross referenced with all government departments from unpaid parking tickets to sex offenders (if they have a registered car bike to them etc then the reg number is added to the database)you may also notice that some busy petrol staions or servos have ANPR fitted. Basically it is everywhere and has been for a few years now in Australia and England. You done nothing wrong you got nothing to worry about, but I dont agree with the invasion of privacy and big brother aspect of it.

Point to point or avarage speed check camaras, measure your avarage speed and sting ya for it if you bust the speed limit, according to time taken to cover the measured distance between the camaras. Used here in the uk mostly at road works on the motorways.

alf

336LJ
19-03-2010, 12:23 AM
I don't know if its part of it - but I drove past a land cruiser today - with 3 or so of the exact type of cameras hanging off the toll arches, and service stations around here (the ones hanging off the sides of buildings) and just parked on the roadside with its hazards on.
Was going to stop and take a pic and check out the gear, Thought it might be google but they use gay hatchbacks and have signwriting on them.

Macca2010
19-03-2010, 01:33 AM
More money for the biggest gang in the land to piss up run around naked and get caught by the public.[^]

BOHEMION
20-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I think i know there ones your talking about LJ, they are not QPS. These are data recorders, testers. You will see a yellow logo on each side.

Hagarr
20-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Alfie for fucks sake get rid of that Signature, every time I see it I become mesmerized!!! Damn fine Titties.

Oh about the thread! It never ceases to amaze me if you are an average white male , bend over and take it like a gentleman.

RevHead
20-03-2010, 10:34 PM
nsw cops use the same technology in all there hwy patrol cars mobile,theres fuckers are breaking every law in our constitution,invasion of privacy,remember when stopped answer no question ,and cops cannot search you or your car or person,admit nothing ,as these cunts will use any and everything against you ,speed and identity cameras r the reason cops want front number plates on bike,so whats the next move all motorcycle riders push our government to get a grip and get out of our lives

336LJ
22-03-2010, 01:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by revheadpete

nsw cops use the same technology in all there hwy patrol cars mobile,theres fuckers are breaking every law in our constitution,invasion of privacy,remember when stopped answer no question ,and cops cannot search you or your car or person,admit nothing ,as these cunts will use any and everything against you ,speed and identity cameras r the reason cops want front number plates on bike,so whats the next move all motorcycle riders push our government to get a grip and get out of our lives

they will (trust me I asked and was met with a hostile response) claim that they do have the right to search you/take a breath test under "prescribed conditions" or something under the police powers and responsibilites act, intertwined with the road use management act, which you tick a box to "agree" to when you apply for your licence, or vehicle rego.
you can refuse a search - being that most the time they pull you over for other reasons. and if you object to the search, and it goes to court anything found in the search is inadmissible if they find the search was unlawful or un warranted considering the circumstances i.e they only pulled you over for a licence check, or defect. and the prick was just out to sting you cause your clearly awesome and had just done impregnating backlfips on a deathtrike.

good luck proving it to a magistrate tho, they base their deciscions entirely on their sole biassed view - and will take all the bad shit you ever did into account - this is actually against their oath of office - and the constitution as the law is based on christian principals, and no single individual can hand down or pass judgment without bias. (hence the 2 magistrates rule)