PDA

View Full Version : removing wheel bearings

crazymofo
17-03-2010, 05:16 AM
gday folks,

just wondering if anyone has any tricks to remove wheel bearings at home? or is it strictly a shop only thing?

wheels in question are namely 05 zx6r and 07 gsxr 600 both are rear wheels.

any help is appreciated.

cheers.joe.

Gitzy
17-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Hey Joe if you can get hold of a blind bearing puller kit the ones with internal adjustable collets and slide hammer, they make bearing removal beyond easy.. borrowed mate a while back and you wouldnt believe how easy it is.. you can buy kits on ebay.. for about $200ish i think last time i looked.. the amount of modification you do to your bikes and now with your track bike it may be a worthwhile investment for you once you have the tool, your shed will become the shop .. otherwise hammer and screwdriver or hook is my only other suggestion.. oh and patience..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Blind-Bearing-Puller-kit_W0QQitemZ170418460751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Mot orcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27adbb584f

Deano
17-03-2010, 06:06 AM
long skinny pin punch gets em every time

grindella
17-03-2010, 09:03 PM
you can do it with a shaft about a 2mm smaller than the axle. Slide hammer is ideal way but expensive if you are only doing it once

davio
18-03-2010, 05:38 PM
never used a puller in the shop,take off the wheel and put it on something with a hole in it big enough to clear the bearing,
pass a drift or any bit of steel through the top bearing hole until it contacts the lower bearing (u may need to push the spacer aside with a lever) make sure its not touching the lip on the inside of the wheel hub and hit lightly with a hammer moving slowly around the so the bearing comes out squarely
flip over and repeat
when putting in new ones use a large socket or bit of pipe slightly smaller than the outer diameter of the bearing(never hit the inner race)make sure it stays square ,tap in slowly ,u well hear a slightly different sound when it comes up against the lip inside the hub ,repeat on the other side
DONT forget the spacer,,,,what?,, no i never ever forgot it , not once,,oh come on please believe me
if u got it right the spacer should be firmly held between the bearings

Iceman
18-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I've done it a couple of time using a long thin punch. A good trick for installing new wheel bearings is to pop them in the freezer for a while, when they are all chilly and contracted they will fall in.

grindella
18-03-2010, 08:23 PM
good call Davio, that was a heap of typin

crazymofo
18-03-2010, 09:06 PM
fuck yeah, thanks fellas long thin punch does the trick...

now to put the kwaka bearings in the zook wheel :D

cheers.joe.