PDA

View Full Version : quick question about deisels

336LJ
14-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Anyone know why a small diesel engine would have a coolant temp sender (thermostat housing), and oil pressure sender wire bridged to the one oil pressure warning light?
I have a theory its so if it gets too hot the oil light comes on (as has already happened) but can't work out why its needed if you have a temp guage working on a seperate sender (on the inlet manifold).

Jockney Rebel
15-03-2010, 01:29 AM
if its oem [and im going out on a limb here because i dont know the make of engine ]is the oil pressure circuit connected to the fuel shut off by any chance ?
if so its to prevent engine damage due to either low oil press or high temps by cutting the fuel and thus stopping the engine some BL/perkins engines had this fitted to them as a failsafe

336LJ
15-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Its a kubota 3cyl diesel, I got sick of spending 3 avo's mowing the lawn so I bought a big fuck off 6foot cut outfront mower!
I didn't check to see if it goes to the fuel cut off, might have to get the wiring diagram and try follow it back - it seemed to only go to the light tho, cause when i got it the last owner had jammed the thermostat open partially so it overheated and the light came on - but it still ran.