PDA

View Full Version : Rider toll falls. Again.

Petrol Spice
10-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Taken from AMCN Vol. 59 No.17 March 3-16 March 2010 page 9.

The motorcycle road toll has continued to fall, according to figures release by the Federal Government for January 2010.

AMCN reported last issue that the 2009 rider toll was down nice percent on 2008, and now the rolling 12 month toll for the period February 2009 to January 2010 is down 10.6 percent on the previous 12 month figure, an improvement of 1.6 percentage points.

Male rider fatalities were down 8.7 percent for the period(229 to 220) while female rider deaths were down 35.3 percent (17 to 11).

[edit petrol "here's the best bit"]

The drop in rider and pillion fatalities had bucked the trend in other road user groups, which have all experienced increases for the same period. Driver deaths were up seven percent for February 2009 to January 2010, with passenger fatalities (+9.2%) cyclists(+13.8%) and pedestrians(+6.8%) also experiencing increases. The total road toll for February 2009 to January 2010 was up 4.6 percent.

The downturn in motorcycle-related fatalities is having a positive impact on the five-year annual average, which is now down to +1.8 percent. In 2009, the five-year percentage change was up 2.4 percent.

In Victoria, the rolling annual rider toll as of 24 February was 37, five down on the previous 12 months. The average five-year rider toll in Victoria is 45.

[edit Petrol - having lived and ridden in Victoria for a while it doesn't surprise me that it's 45 per year. One, your average rider is mad in Victoria and the drivers of Cars are bordering on Criminally insane. Of course that's just my opinion and worth about 25 cents]

bluemk1
11-03-2010, 09:21 AM
yet my insurance didnt reduce accordingly??

Petrol Spice
11-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Yea! Mine went up fucking 12% this year and I haven't had a claim in bloody 8 years!

fimpBIKES
11-03-2010, 11:29 AM
greenslips in NSW are $640 now, fucking rediculous!!!

the figures are probably low because its been too fuckin hot to ride, your tyres wear out in the first 100m [XX(]

_M_
11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

Motor Vehicle Insurance is related to "at fault" claims not deaths, deaths would only effect those life insurance companies who factor in transportation method.

Jockney Rebel
11-03-2010, 11:54 PM
there are 3 types of lie ....
lies, damn lies and statistics ,like the stats but as its done by a bike publication no one outside our little[1% of regoed vehicles nationally]circle will take a blind bit of notice ....preaching to the converted
having said that the situation was similar in britian in the early 90's bike sales down car sales up till the insurance guys did us a favour and hiked up the rates for youngsters in hot hatches ...enter the souped up scooter and sales are up thus biking becomes a joy again

bluemk1
12-03-2010, 03:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by _M_

Motor Vehicle Insurance is related to "at fault" claims not deaths, deaths would only effect those life insurance companies who factor in transportation method.

would it not be fair to suggest that if there are fewer deaths then there are more than likely fewer accidents also?

Hagarr
12-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Never liked using percentages at any time particularly in discussing "Peoples Lives"

Very impersonal and doesn't really give you a true indication of time spent on the road etc etc etc. Too many anomalies and variations to put all under the one "percentage" group.

exposuredesigns
12-03-2010, 02:19 PM

quote:Originally posted by _M_

would it not be fair to suggest that if there are fewer deaths then there are more than likely fewer accidents also?

That is certainly a valid assumption, but other things increase the cost of insurance, such as increases in costs of repairs and parts, as well as pressure on insurance companies to offer rider apparel cover and agreed values. Unfortunately it all contributes to cost.

Jup
12-03-2010, 05:00 PM
My insurance went down, you guys must be with the wrong mob?