PDA

View Full Version : “We’re alright, that’s the main thing,”

Large
08-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Caravanners recount their terror at nearly being killed by motorcyclist-

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2010/03/05/bridge-catches-caravaners-riders/

Tony Nitrous
08-03-2010, 05:45 PM
You never know, the motorcyclist "might" have had a drink. Let's fix that.....

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/11/24/161881_gold-coast-news.html

Jup
08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't quite know how to feel about this one.

On one hand, it was stupid of the riders to fail to give way to the caravan on a one lane bridge. It's not like they wouldn't have seen the caravan coming.

On the other hand, there's every chance that there was already one motorcycle on the bridge and the caravaners simply failed to acknowledge them.

I can't help but wonder if the caravaners were so self absorbed that they had no concerns for the rider, or if their (if any) concerns were not deemed worthy of reporting.

Iceman
08-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I'd say they are luck to be alive, we all know how much damage can be done whist running over a girl on a motorbike.

lurch
08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I've travelled that road many times as I live in the area. Sorry to say it, but it's highly unlikely the riders didn't see the caravan. There are a couple of single lane bridges and most of the road is pretty ordinary so a caravan probably wouldn't go over 80 k's (100 limit) on most of it, which would give a bike plenty of time to see it and give way.

In saying that we all know what a grey nomad is capable/incapable of on the road so I can't help but feel as though they are partially to blame in some way

mitch.lax
09-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm with you lurch, have ridden that road a few times now, and the only one-lane bridges I can remember are pretty high visibility. Either the chick saw the 'van and thought she'd make it, or the nomads didn't see her.

davio
10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
In the first six months of this year there were 37 fatalities involving drink-drivers and riders, which made up about 21 per cent of the road toll.
mmmm wouldnt mind seeing the breakdown of how many riders to drivers on that one

grindella
11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
what a load of shit

MuZ
11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
2.5 ton 4wd + >1.5ton caravan vs. 200kg motorcycle + rider... but "they're alright".
they never had a chance of being slightly injured.

kramdrallim
14-03-2010, 12:12 AM
poor girl,she must be heartbroken after givin those poor vaners such a nasty fright

HOS
14-03-2010, 03:15 AM
That story reminds me of a bike mate a few years back on his way to work at about 4am one summers morning on his 1100 Kwaka, same street in town he goes to work every day, goes through the same set of traffic lights his right of way... and kabbang ! He gets taken out from the side by a milkman in a Transit who went across on red.

Milkman admited he went across on red and told the police he always does at that time of the morning because there is no one around.
He then tells the cops my mate was speeding, so it then becomes the police ignoring the fact this guy went on red and start blaming my mate based on the lying bastard Milky say so.

I wo`nt tell you how badly the hospital fucked his leg up afterwards.