PDA

View Full Version : Road Test Dunlop Q2's

Lil Wolfie
08-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Road Test Dunlop Sportmax Q2
First again let me say again that I sell tyres for living. I may not be the quickest out there but I certainly push along at a respectful pace.
Last Friday I got a set of Dunlop Q2’s now having already tried the Alpha a11’s, I was a bit hesitant to test these. I mean would they make a tyre to rival their own sport tyre released only 4 mths earlier. The short answer is yes.
Ok, I put them on Saturday morning and it was raining. I have the missus on the back and we are off over Clear Mountain, my favourite test road. (At legal speeds).
The profile feels steep, because it is. But progressive, not fall into the corner but steady all the way to my maximum lean in the wet at least. All thru Clear Mountain, while wet, the pace quickens, I cant believe the tyre has so much wet grip and this is out of the wrappers. So just a quick few k’s out to Samford for lunch and then we head home as it’s still raining.
Sunday dawned damp but drying and of to Mt Mee we go. The missus is on the back again, dam I really want to try these tyres. Anyway out to Dayboro I notice the bike tracking nicely and feeling taught. The front tyre adds to the stability like the Alpha a11’s as well.
Turn right at the pool and of we go. Up and over Mt Mee. Half way up the mountain I give the throttle a good twist and we are off. All the while shaking my head, corners that I take at 50 are now genuinely 60+. I touch a peg, at long last, on a sweeping right hander. I am still shaking my head when the missus asks what’s wrong, why are you shaking your head? I can’t believe how good the tyres are.
Mid turn is where I notice the stability the most. Sometimes as you hit the apex on slower corners the ZX can feel like it wants to fold in 2 on some tyres, please note the suspension is a compromise we are 2 up and I weigh ½ a ton, but not on these. Whether it’s because I am entering the corner faster and have a higher corner speed I am not sure. But I like it.
Finally pull into home for lunch and mull over the tyre in my mind. Why have they built a tyre that will by all the testing accounts out there equal their sport tyre. Well they haven’t have they.
After rereading my notes from the alpha test I did, this is great tyre but the wear in the middle is the secret I think. The Continental and Alpha11’s steer quicker that the Q2’s and they wear quicker as well. The tyre, after 1000k’s, now looks brand new still. This is a street tyre for occasional track use. I will keep an eye out on wear over the next few weeks and let you know how they travel. My gut feeling is this a tyre for all horse power bikes and the bigger they are the more the rider is going to love them. If you ride a 8/10ths then this is perfect for you as a tyre that will give you long life and excellent grip.
If you ride at 10/10ths you should be on a track but the Alpha a11 is your tyre.
Prices in the tyre section.

Cruisecontrol
08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I spoke to a mate about them after he got back from the Q2 launch at Eastern Creek.
He raved about them.
They will be my next tyres.

rod185651
08-03-2010, 07:32 PM
How do they compare to other brands such as Michelin's Pilot Power 2CT?

Cruisecontrol
08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
From what I have heard, Rod, it is like day and night with current tyres (including the Pilots) and these.
Something to do with different tensions in the carcass construction means more grip on the edges and less wear in the centres.
And when blokes like Shaun Giles apparently say that it is as close as you will get to a race tyre for the street, then chances are they are pretty good...
I actually can't wait to get a set simply based on the recommendations.