PDA

View Full Version : Paint in Brissy ? How much and who ?

Tony Nitrous
16-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Im getting a quote on getting the Busa project painted.
Had a few mates in the Trade back home,
but a bit lost out here?

Anyone want to recommend anyone else ?

Looking at 5 panels.
*Cut down front Guard,
*Small fairing/headlight surround,
*Belly pan,
*Tank,
*Tail piece.

Fairing and Belly pan are in Gel-coat and need a little tidy up.

I will sort out the Decal/Grafics, just want it all in high quality Blue fine-metalic finish.
Looking for decent quality job.

Q1... Who would you use ?
Q2... What would you expect to pay ?
Q3... Any idea on turn around times for this type of job ?

Thanks,
Tony.J.

Gix11
17-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Yea mate. Been doing my research for a while. It's going to cost a bit but the same name keeps popping up whoever I ask either down here or up there: SIMCA

The website is a bit out of date but the contact details are there: http://www.simca.com.au/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=1

I went and had my bike quoted on at the end of December. One of the guys that spoke to me is mad keen on 'fighters and has one himself so you know you're in good hands. They have all the latest metallic paints and a good track record. They will also do simple airbrush designs (flames / tribal) and have an outsource for detailed airbrushing (murals and shit which I know you don't want. Do you?). Anyway, he told me they are quiet just now so you should get straight in. I plan to go there soon as well (when I eventually get some money in this month!).

As a rough idea, I was quoted on 3 colours, plastic welding, tribal design, wheels, and very deep clear finish for around $1800. Not cheap but quality never is, unless you know a mate!

Check 'em and tell them you came from ASF so he'll look after you. (He has the calendar if he needs a mind jolt).

zx12argh
17-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Just an added question to Tony's:

I'm pretty handy myself, what do paint shops usually think about people doing their own prep work, save money so they only have to put on the colour.

I'm looking at a more expensive candy paint job and was thinking of taking it to undercoat so they only have to do final rub down and paint and I can save some $$$

Gix11
17-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Every little thing helps mate. I was even told I'd save money if I stripped the panels and tryes off (which I was going to do anyway? Glad they told me that I'd save money if I did or else they might have sneaked that charge in?).

As for prep, I'm sure that would save you as well as long as you realised that the final finish would be based on what you gave them. They are very precise and do a full prep themselves so you cannot take it back and say you don't like the final job if your prep wasn;t top shelf. (but I guess that's obvious).

17-01-2007, 06:35 PM
$1800...fuck my racing emu,thats not cheap. I'll ask the neighbour for ya's,a trip to the sunny coast might save yez big bux.

Tony Nitrous
18-01-2007, 04:21 PM
QUOTE:As a rough idea, I was quoted on 3 colours, plastic welding, tribal design, wheels, and very deep clear finish for around $1800.

One of my quotes came back as

5 panels, supplied off bike, 1 colour,
no plastic welding or damage to repair, no grafics, no designs,

$1,900

Gix11
18-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Yea. The average I got for one colour with simple tribal was $1500, no welding or wheels etc so i wasn't too worried when that new quote came in for everything. I'm sure Gibbo and Paul(KKB) would have something to say about it?