PDA

View Full Version : Chains and Sprockets

WarHound
05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Hey
I need to change chain and sprockets. My chain was an RK and just touched the swing arm going through .. no hassles really but an awful clatter when the chain loosens off just a little. I was told I could do 1 of two things
1. Redo spacers moving the swing arm a couple of mm over
2l Get a race chain as they are slightly thinner and probably will have better clearance.

My question is .. anyone know where and what I am looking for ? What brand to go with and who to get them through.

99 R1 Swing Arm Rear Wheel on a 99 GSX750F.

A Good price and place for sprockets would be appreciated too 8)

Cheers
Mark

Gitzy
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey Mark if you have the skills or know someone with them, and its possible to space it in order to run a 530 pitch chain, and longevity of chain life is what your after go that way.

But if your happy with running a thinner 520 pitch chain and not having as long a chain life go that way. In saying that, with the improvements in chain designs i'm not entirely sure on exact 520 vs 530 chain life comparo's.. someone may help us on that?? anyone??

Further info, forgive me here, i'll write this thinking you know nothing about chains and sprockets, if you do ignore my simpleness;)

As far as chain brands, prices etc some people are partial to one brand or another, but just to name a few
DID
RK
EK

Chains are NOT made bike specific, as far as i know the only variables are (for road bikes i'm talking here)

1)
520 pitch
530 pitch

2)
then what lubricating Ring you want (these depend on brand also say XSO for RK is same as SRX Series in EK)

*Non Oring
*U Ring (Ultra thin Oring)
*O Ring
*X Ring
*W Ring
*XW Ring etc etc

3)
Chain link length say 114 links for stock geared R1
120 for stock bandit 12 (I think) make sure you get the appropriate length,
I mean more links than you need or exact amount..

4)
Joining method
*Clip Type (removable clip)
*Rivet type (endless chain)

Where to get them, well theres
*local bike shop
*ebay
*various online bike shops (mcas etc)

In the past i've some of my sprockets from here (super quick service and top blokes)

http://www.chaingang.com.au/opinions.php

Aussie made laser cut and hard annodized in various colours
RED • BLUE • PURPLE• BLACK • ORANGE • YELLOW • GREEN • WHITE
there about $130 for a rear sprocket but they last upwards of 30000kms

So summing up
1. choose gearing you want (how many teeth you want front and rear)
2. buy sprockets accordingly ie, to suit your r1 wheel and front to suit the GSXF
also colour you want, (coloured, gold, silver etc)
3. buy right length, colour, pitch, joint type chain.. (dont mix 520 sprockets with 530 chain etc)

fit it and stand back and admire.

hope this helps mate
cheers.

DISCLAIMER.
IF ANY OF THE INFORMATION ABOVE IS WRONG IN ANYWAY. PLEASE BLAME JACKTAR.. THANKYOU :D

WarHound
05-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Man .. Thanks VERY much .. That has really helped .. I knew some stuff but I am a novice in many ways 8)

Gitzy
05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Not a problem at all mate, always happy to help..

that is one rather modified Teapot.. has she changed much since this pic?? I didnt know that was Joes in a previous life, got some forks off that crazymofo, top bloke..

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm218/WarHound67/Final%20Paint/Picture005.jpg

WarHound
06-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah its black now 8) Haven't done a lot due to finances .. but I have plans .. Like all of us I guess LOL. Want to drop a bandit motor in but I need to get a few things fixed up first 8)

Jup
07-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I found calling the guys at chaingang very informative too. Gitzy's right, they are a top bunch of blokes.

I wanted to go with taller gearing on the strom for highway riding and they helped me with advice on which way to go (up front, down rear) and chain length to fit etc.

Seriously, browse their site and give them a call - you won't be dissapointed!

crazymofo
07-03-2010, 07:27 PM
you could do what i did on the SV in order to gain chain clearance on the swingarm pivot, i standard gearing was a 15/43. i geared it up to run a 17/48 instead, giving me heaps more clearance.

1 tooth on front is equal to 3 on rear, so if you up your front 2 teeth add 6 on the rear.

cheers.joe.