PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with wiring???

robmac
02-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I wired my new Acewell in and all was good until I tried to reconnect the temp sensor wire. Everything was working perfectly until I removed this wire and went to use the temp sender supplied with the kit (I only remembered about this bit by stumbling upon it whilst looking for something else).

Here's where I'm at:

When I turn the ignition on everything works apart from the backlight. If I reconnect the green/blue temp sender to the Temp - wire (gray) the backlight works. Why?

When I turn the ignition off I don't have the clock. On terminal B on the Acewell I have taken the black wire directly to earth and put the brown clock power wire directly to the +ve terminal on the battery to see if I could get something but still nothing. Why?

WTF am I missing here? I have even removed everything and redid all the wiring but have ended up with the same result. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me cause I'm at a loss.....

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1267567915.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1267536386.jpg

Docktor
02-03-2010, 09:32 PM
never wired a acewell. can i see a diagram of that ? . Where does the backlight drag its earth from ?. How old the bike ?. Does its power need to come from the light switch , guess not , there is no light switch on the piccy.. . Is the temp sender becoming a open circuit when the ign comes on ?

VFighteR
02-03-2010, 09:38 PM
is this the 3969 model mate? Maybe I can help

EXBEN
03-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Sounds like you've got an earth wire issue & the dash is trying to find an earth through the temp sensor wire. Check the plug & all your earth connections for broken wires or bad connections. If you put power to the red & Brown, then connect the black to earth( on plug B) the dash should switch on, then only remove the red & the dash should turn off but the clock should stay on.

robmac
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

never wired a acewell. can i see a diagram of that ? . Where does the backlight drag its earth from ?. How old the bike ?. Does its power need to come from the light switch , guess not , there is no light switch on the piccy.. . Is the temp sender becoming a open circuit when the ign comes on ?

First wiring diagram is the Acewell. The bike is a 94 Fireblade. The wiring diagram for that shown is for the pommy model blade with an on/off headlight switch which our bikes don't have but its pretty much the same otherwise.

robmac
03-03-2010, 02:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by VFighteR

is this the 3969 model mate? Maybe I can help

Hopefully you can help mate. This is a 3913 model.

robmac
03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

Sounds like you've got an earth wire issue & the dash is trying to find an earth through the temp sensor wire. Check the plug & all your earth connections for broken wires or bad connections. If you put power to the red & Brown, then connect the black to earth( on plug B) the dash should switch on, then only remove the red & the dash should turn off but the clock should stay on.

I agree with the earth issue, its the only thing that makes sense but.....I have checked and rechecked every wire, nothing broken and all well connected. I tried connecting the black to earth and put power to the red and brown...nothing...removed the red....double nothing.

All the turn signal, oil pressure, neutral and high beam warning lights work as they should which suggests that the earth is fine. Interestingly I connected an earth to the gray wire on plug D and everything works as it should including the back lighting when the dash is on and the clock when the dash is off.
[?][?][?][?]

robmac
05-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Nothing else for it, I pulled the whole loom to spaghetti in the search for this elusive earth problem. Working without a mulitmeter on wiring to check for continuity is difficult but I overcame that by replacing all the wires. I figured there's much less chance having new wire with breaks than the original 1994 wiring. Completely rewired the entire bike and still ended up with the same result. I reckon something is crossed up inside the dash......i can't think of any other explanation so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

If I earth the temp - gray wire everything works fine so I'm leaving it like that and calling the job done. (Still like to know why it's doing that though...)

boris
05-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I reckon it sounds like something inside the dash mate when I wired mine it was fucken easy as nothing like that have you got to setting the speedo yet mate mine is about 10 k's out and I just can't see how the fuck to adjust it

robmac
05-03-2010, 10:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by boris

I reckon it sounds like something inside the dash mate when I wired mine it was fucken easy as nothing like that have you got to setting the speedo yet mate mine is about 10 k's out and I just can't see how the fuck to adjust it

Did you use the setting supplied for the circumference of the tyre or did you measure it?

80s freak
05-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Try running the earth wire direct to the frame/front end rather than through the loom, that should tell you if the problem is in the unit or not. As for the speedo being out, I measured my tyre then had to add a little more when I checked it over a known distance instead of try to guesstimate speed.

EXBEN
06-03-2010, 08:15 AM
The easiest way to find the wheel circumference is to put a chalk mark on the tyre & a corresponding mark on some flat ground, then roll the bike forward one tyre revolution put another mark on the ground then measure between the marks. This measurment ( in mm) is what you put in the C setting on the dash.

livewire
09-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Try measuring resistance from Black/White at 'A', to Black at 'B' and Grey/White at 'E',
after you've disconnected the plugs 'a','b' and 'e'
All should = 0 ohm.
Plug them back in, and all should measure 0 ohm to batt -ve.
Also check they go through to black wires.
This would check that they haven't transposed some wires in the loom, and/or maybe a melted earth track. ( some-ones naughty fingerprints).
Sounds like it's not finding an earth on one of those wires, especially at Black on 'B'.

angrypom
09-03-2010, 08:57 PM
put earth wire directly to the battery negative terminal then you can rule out all earthing issuses. ive wired a couple of acewells and had no trouble.

robmac
09-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah I put all the required earths directly to the battery negative terminal and the results are the same. I've replaced most of the loom also so pretty confident that the wires are good so I'm sticking with my thought that there is something crossed up in the acewell. This is the second acewell I've done and had no such troubles the last time so pretty confident it's wired in properly.

Am I right in saying that the acewell wiring diagram isn't 100% correct either because the VDD power shouldn't have a constant drain off the battery, only needs power after the key is turned? Only the clock should be sucking sherbets after closing time......

livewire
09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Vdd is usually supply volts.
Maybe a memory?
Like having battery and ignition on a stereo.
Diagram doesn't show any fuses, either.

EXBEN
09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
quote:robmac Posted - 09 Mar 2010 : 22:22:22
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah I put all the required earths directly to the battery negative terminal and the results are the same. I've replaced most of the loom also so pretty confident that the wires are good so I'm sticking with my thought that there is something crossed up in the acewell. This is the second acewell I've done and had no such troubles the last time so pretty confident it's wired in properly.

Am I right in saying that the acewell wiring diagram isn't 100% correct either because the VDD power shouldn't have a constant drain off the battery, only needs power after the key is turned? Only the clock should be sucking sherbets after closing time......
Yes you are right about the VDD wire.
I emailed Acewell a long time about this & they said it was wired that way on other models & that the wiring diagram was shared between a few different models??......... I don't know why they would do this.