PDA

View Full Version : Power to the people!

Jup
18-02-2010, 08:55 PM
http://www.news.com.au/technology/trapster-phone-app-pinpoints-booze-buses/story-e6frfro0-1225830792415

AN application available on many mobile phones is tipping motorists off to the location of police radar traps, speed cameras and booze buses.

The application, known as Trapster, can be used on any GPS-capable phone and allows registered users to plot the locations of booze buses and speed cameras and share those locations with other registered users, The Age newspaper reported.

The information was being republished on US-based Trapster's website, and motorists in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane were using the service.

The Age said it had found several sites, including the location of a booze bus, were correctly identified as police "checkpoints" on the Trapster system.

A Victoria Police spokesman said police were aware of the application.

"While it is disappointing that motorists would consider drink driving and using this technology to attempt to avoid detection, there is nothing currently illegal with the application," the spokesman said.

"While it may give the location of booze buses, be assured that we will have a number of roaming patrols that will catch you," he warned.

JackTar
18-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Just downloaded it, good times.

sharky
18-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Anyone that thinks this 'ap' bullshit is a good idea should go to the house of someone who has lost a loved one through a drunk driver and explain the benefits of it to them.:(

megareg
18-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Found this little snippet from that site...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gamers-scarier-than-bikies-says-michael-atkinson/story-e6frfro0-1225830886493

Fight_fan
19-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Revenge of the Nerds! LOL

JackTar
19-02-2010, 04:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

Anyone that thinks this 'ap' bullshit is a good idea should go to the house of someone who has lost a loved one through a drunk driver and explain the benefits of it to them.:(

I'm not checking it for booze buses Russ, anyone who knows my history will know that I never ever drive pissed. Nor would I enter a booze bus on there for other people to see, I am looking for the revenue raisers.

fimpBIKES
19-02-2010, 10:50 PM
yay, so now we have to dodge drunk fuckers while they use their mobile phones....