PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating

Seifer
08-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey guys, I've decided to powdercoat my frame black merely because my subframe is already black and I really can't be assed continually polishing. WHat I need to know is where are the powdercoaters in Sydney and how much should I be expecting to pay for a frame and swing arm. Is there anyhting I can do to make the process cheaper ie: prep work?

devo
08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/18662970896477.JPG
Try Stripco Seifer they are in Violet st Bankstown off Milperra Rd
if they are still there their # is (02) 9792 3411.
Let us know if they are still there .;)
They poder coated the frame and swingarm and some other bits on my old GS750 Race bike done a fucking top job to and cheap.:D

Seifer
08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
How cheap is cheap?

devo
09-01-2007, 04:43 AM
Don't have the reciept but from memory around $140.00 but don't quote me on that it may have gone up to $200.00 still ring and ask roughly what the cost is:D

TurboKat
09-01-2007, 10:08 AM
In Melbourne, it costs around $60 - $120 to blast a frame like Devo's GS's depending on weather you want it shot or bead blasted (shot is very coarse & leaves the metal rough enough to look orange peely even after you've powdercoated it & p/coat is 4 or 5 times thicker than paint, bead blasting leaves the finish nice & smooth but takes longer & garnet (glass beads) is more expensive than shot)
You can also paint 2 pack enamel straight over bare blasted metal & it etches into the metal so well it'll never come off*
*conditions apply.

Seifer
09-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah, well i was thinking of which look i'd prefer whether it be the rougher surface or the smooth. I think i may prefer the rougher. What do modern bikes like say r1s and the rest use?

dazz
09-01-2007, 01:05 PM
powder coated for a living several years ago so here is how it goes;

if you get your frame blasted, make sure you degrease the fuck out of it before hand. Once it is blasted the grease and oil will leech into the porous surface and is a bitch to remove. So degrease every thing and then whipe over with white spirits.

Once blasted you can etch prime with various products prior to coating but make sure it it compatible with P/Cing before you start.
Also remember that this is a coating that relies on conductivity of electricity and tight areas usually end up very thinly coated or not at all as the charged powder particles will be attracted to the closest point from the gun(fariday cage syndrome I think they call it). To combat this, get the frame painted hot as this will eliminate blowoff from the gun and the heat will cause the powder ti stick on contact but this should only be attempted if you have a competant gun man on the job.

It is imperitive that all sand or silica particles are removed prior to priming/painting as this will cause orange pealing after cure the same way that silicon does with wet spray.

Steps I would take:

Degrease

Wipe with white spirits

Bead blast (not sand)

Sand down frame(dry) with approx 400 paper (do not wet) and avoid touching blasted frame with bare hands due to salt from sweat.

etch prime with suitable primer

Degas by allowing frame to sit through a cure of other jobs in the oven

powdercoat frame while steel temp is approx 130 deg/cel to avoid bare spots around tight angles

This should produce the best result for this application provided thier has not been some radicle industry developments in 6 years.

shift1313
10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
also we use a few different powdercoat strippers at work with great results. I posted in the stripping forum but I get them from www.eastwood.com I dont know if you can get stuff since I am in the states, but im sure something is offered over there. Some as cheap as 17bucks per gallon, so like 22aud i guess. that stuff gets diluted 50/50 with water so you end up with alot.

11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
excuse my ignorance but is it a steel frame?

Seifer
12-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Right I just gave stripco a call but they're on hols until Jan 22nd, Lucky buggers, anyway, Im trying to get a budget for the remainder of my project together so what is a reasonable estimate for a gsxr 750 88' frame and arm,possibly a rear wheel aswell. Has anyone had it done recently?
Also does anyone know anything about nickel coating in NSW?

devo
12-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Sief I just got a quote up here in Dubbo Mate,
Frame around 140 bucks with swing arm and around 50 bucks for
per rim.
As for nichol plating there is a place in Belmore that does it
and they are resonable in price but unsure what they will charge
you.
But I forget the name.

Seifer
12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Does that quote include blasting or just coating?

devo
12-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Everything Bloke Everything ;)

Seifer
31-01-2007, 03:11 PM
I just got a quote for $260 for the frame and swingarm from stripco. May have to keep looking, any other recommndations for Sydney guys?
How far from sydney is dubbo?

Seifer
31-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh he also mentioned zinc coating for an additional $100, something about rust proofing. Is this necessary?
He seemed like a nice guy tho.