PDA

View Full Version : Spray Painting final clear coat...

VFighteR
18-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Guys - Have been told various methods of mixing the final clear coat with thinners when spray painting - everything from 80/20 - to 50/50

My thoughts are a 50/50 mix thinners to clear coat - Would that be a good mix as its thick enough to coat, but not too thin to go dull when dry?

Also, should I rub the color back with 1200 paper prior to applying the clear coat to get rid of the impurities or leave as is?

Thanks fellas

Seifer
18-02-2010, 08:21 AM
If your spraying 2k then check the directions from whoever makes the paint. What brand is it?
As for the colour theres no need to rub back, how long between your base coat and laying the clear?
What impurities do you have on your base coat?

Check this for tips on sanding & painting. The forum at autobody101.com will be of great help.
http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1945

VFighteR
18-02-2010, 08:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

If your spraying 2k then check the directions from whoever makes the paint. What brand is it?
As for the colour theres no need to rub back, how long between your base coat and laying the clear?
What impurities do you have on your base coat?

Check this for tips on sanding & painting. The forum at autobody101.com will be of great help.
http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1945

Sprayed the base coat last night, there are parts that are a little dull and some small runs that need to be rubbed back - The clear paint is Motopro acrylic

Chase
18-02-2010, 08:40 AM
If you're using an acrylic 2 pak then you won't have a gloss from the gun at basecoat, if you have runs then you would be best to lightly sand with 2000 (careful not to rub through the paint) and I would put another basecoat on before clearing to get a better consistency in the colour if it looks uneven (less chance of runs again if the other coats are already dry) - you will only need around 20min before applying the clear depending on the temp and flash time (the time paint takes to tack off) of the paint.

damo1
18-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Mate a basic way to mix your clear is like this i sdo it every day this way and it works fine.

What every the amount of clear you put in you then put in about half of that amount in in hardener.
Got it!
Then you put in about a quarter of that (being the hardener)measurment in in reducer.

But to put a spanner in the works mate i paint bikes like this:
Leave the reducer out of the mix altogether and what this dose it forces you to put on a heavier coat of clear and it will make it look more lusious if you know what i mean.

Go back and knock out your runs rub the whole thing again with 800 and start over.

Take your time and leave about 15mins between coats.
i doesnt matter that your base looks flat the clear will bring the shine.
When your clearing- your first coat is not the important one- in that don't worry to much if you have dry spots, pick them up in your next coat.
Mate if you need any more advice feel free to call me and i'll talk you through it.

hope this helps

VFighteR
19-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the advice Damo - managed to wing it last night and it looks great mixed 1:1 1/2 and it worked out ok - bit of overspray though, but that will polish out. Just need it to dry thoroughly then a light rub with 1200 and a cut and polish - Will post pix in the build update

Thanks all for your tips

damo1
19-02-2010, 03:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by VFighteR

Thanks for the advice Damo - managed to wing it last night and it looks great mixed 1:1 1/2 and it worked out ok - bit of overspray though, but that will polish out. Just need it to dry thoroughly then a light rub with 1200 and a cut and polish - Will post pix in the build update

Thanks all for your tips

1200 is to course chop it with 2000 trust me;)