PDA

View Full Version : CF Skinning

Seifer
16-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Does anyone know how hard it would be to skin a tank in Carbon Fibre, the rest of my bike is covered in CF and I figured it would be cool to have the tank match aswell. I've got a spare tank to practice on but I guess I need to know how viable it is. Would a coat of 2k primer be enough underneath?
Possibly even just a cover could work covering the top half of the tank before the indented curves become a pain...
Gsxr 1100

Seifer
16-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Mmmmm, my brain is ticking over...
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145975
Anyone want to warn me against a carbon & kevlar tank?

VFighteR
16-02-2010, 02:44 PM
hey seifer - is it real carbon on the rest of your ride?

Seifer
16-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah mate.

JackTar
16-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't think it is legal off the track mate but I could be wrong and that hasn't stopped people on this site before.

fimpBIKES
16-02-2010, 09:23 PM
road legal dirt bikes have non-metallic tanks, dont see why it would be illegal

Seifer
16-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Exactly but then the rest of my ride is illegal anyway so what's the dif. The original option was to cover my spare tank in carbon and polish out the resin on top. Lots to decide..

EXBEN
16-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I've done it a few times. It's a pretty shit job & you need to use the right products to make it all look right. I can give you a rundown if you want to go ahead.

Seifer
16-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Did it end up looking ok in the end?

Seifer
17-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh and Ben, any tips on some local carbon fibre & products suppliers? I might make up a rear hugger and a few other bits and pieces while i'm at it. Thanks mate.

EXBEN
18-02-2010, 10:47 PM
First you have to strip all the paint off the tank. Then Go over it lightly with a coarse flap disk on an angle grinder. This gives the resin something to "key" into, you don't want it smooth like for paint because the resin will peel off.
Then after a good degrease spray a coat of lam (non waxed)resin on that has a black pigment mixed in ( this is so the silver of the tank doesn't show through the carbon, cause it looks shit).
This can be brushed on although spraying it is preferable as it gives a smoother finish that makes it easier later.
Let this dry for about 4 hrs so the surface is still only just slightly sticky.
Now the tricky part, lay the carbon on carefully (someone to help is handy. You wont be able to get it on without a cut / cuts in it somewhere, work it towards the area where the cut will be then carefully cut the excess off leaving a slight overlap on the join.
A couple of things to keep in mind here is that you really only get 1 shot at it as once the carbon sticks it's hard to peel it back off without distorting the weave, also try & have the least amount of cuts posible as wherever there is one will create a lump in the resin that needs to be sanded flat later, more on this in a sec.
Once you've got the carbon on evenly carefully cut out areas like filler & trim off excess around the edge leaving about 10mm excess only.
Next start building up a thickness of resin, taking care on the first coat not to upset the carbon weave.
Surfboard Lam resin is best for this as it is the clearest & shows off the carbon best. Don't use epoxy as it doesn't build well & gets air bubbles in it easily. After 2-4 coats (depending how bumpy it is, with about 20 mins between coats) put 1 coat of surfboard Finish resin, this will allow you to sand it without cloging the paper.
Let it dry overnight then start 120 grit dry sanding & 240 grit dry sanding & 400-600 grit wet sanding being very carefull not to break through the resin into the carbon ( cause then it's Fucked)This is where smooth cuts earlier really comes into play & if there isn't enough resin on these areas you'll end up with dips that you won't be able to get out because you be sanding carbon in the areas around them (not good).
This is also when you trim the final size of the carbon, trim it with a 1mm grinding wheel then sand to finish.
Now you should have a nice smooth 400 grit finish that you can put 2-3 coats of 2k clear on to finish.
Like I said a prick of a job & be prepared to get itchy.
Rewarding when it's done right though.
All resins & carbon can be bought from somewhere like FGI.

Seifer
19-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks heaps Ben, uve gone out of ur way and it's really appreciated. Stay tuned.