PDA

View Full Version : ZXR Ignition

Jed
12-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Firstly - Haven't been on the forum for a while. My Hard drive shit itself[V]

Now I'm back I have a question. I started the ZXR this morning to go to work, back out of the garage and put it in gear and lost all power (no lights on the dash or anyhting). I have traced all the wiring from the battery up to the ignition. All good up to there, but no power coming out. So I am guessing that the ignition id stuffed. I have a mate coming over tommorrow who is an auto electrician to confirm. If it is this, my dilema is, how the heel do you get them off to replace them. It looks like it has those torx nuts thingys that look like they have been snapped off when fitted.

Any suggetions would be helpful[?]

Cheers, Jed

yoda
13-02-2010, 07:00 AM
grind off the heads, then depending how tight they are they will just screw out.
Then just replace them with normal bolts.
The heads are supposed to snap off when you torque them up so noone can dodgy your ignition. I think if anyone wants the bike they will pinch it anyway, so all my bikes just have normal bolts in there.

TurboKat
13-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I had exactly the same issue with my ZXR Jed, it took me a while to work it out but the culprit was the earth junction in the middle of the wiring loom under the riders seat, there are a few heavy earth wires that join together & the solder gets dry & the contact breaks intermittently.
Get to the loom & strip the tape off around the underseat area until you expose the junction then crimp or re solder it & you should be in business.
To test if it's the same issue as mine you should be able to just wiggle the loom in the right spot to get the power to cut in & out.
Good luck with it.

Jed
13-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks Turbokat

I will give that a go. Would I still be getting power to the main wire that makes it all the way up to the key if your suggetion is correct[?]

Hillsy
13-02-2010, 10:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by yoda

grind off the heads, then depending how tight they are they will just screw out.
Then just replace them with normal bolts.

The security bolt heads are recessed into the ignition unit, so you'll need to drill rather than grind (unless you don't want to use the ignition barrel again [:0]).

Easiest way is to remove the top clamp, centre punch the heads and use a bench drill.

TurboKat
13-02-2010, 04:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jed

Would I still be getting power to the main wire that makes it all the way up to the key if your suggetion is correct[?]

No mate, absolutely everything goes out, I think the CDI loses its earth source so the ignition, starting, lighting, etc, circuits all go dead - no power anywhere.