PDA

View Full Version : Infill Panels

VFighteR
08-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Made these infil panels on the weekend. Im undecided whether to use them or not, and keep in mind, the bikes going to be sprayed black too.

Would like some idea's or opinions from ya'll

Before
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1265585749.jpg

After
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1265615508.jpg

Elapid
08-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Tidies it up well.

Gitzy
08-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Heaps better VF.. when you gonna compile all your progress in a build thread mate?

Fight_fan
08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
That looks awesome mate! HEAPS better!

VFighteR
08-02-2010, 09:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gitzy

Heaps better VF.. when you gonna compile all your progress in a build thread mate?

it didnt take me that long to make them, so I guess I'll keep them and paint them up and if I still dont like em when the whole bikes is painted, i'll think of something else

As for the build update, I have it all in a word doc and will post when I have it all formatted =)

JackTar
08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Mate can you please just do it all in one thread that is what the your ride and manufacturer specific areas are for. You have got different updates posted all over the place.

VFighteR
08-02-2010, 11:18 AM
=( okay

*sulks off*

Slain
08-02-2010, 12:48 PM
they look good mate, i would just add on a piece to run from the edge of the tail to join up to the infill panels you have made

Iceman
08-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Panels look good

And I moved your thread

rod185651
08-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Top job on the panels VF, cleans it up nicely.

Thanks Iceman..... You're Awesome

The Phantom
08-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey VFighteR, it looks good, but IMO you're just putting back the original 'aesthetic weight' that the VFR had... I'm leaving mine open, I want to show off the rear bank valve cover so that it looks like a V4 (man if you go with black paint and polished the rear valve cover it would look great). I also liked the idea of being able to see right through the bike. The problem there is that the rear bank valve cover has that big ugly box on it for the crankcase re-breather system. So I tried the front bank valve cover on and it's a straight bolt-on, everything lines up. I found one on ebay motors US for $20, and had a mate buy it and send it over.

A crankcase breather is necessary so I did some research and came across this - a mate who is a Hercules engine tech Mon-Fri and the supercharger tech for Darren Morgan's Top Fueler on weekends tells me that Bunns Breathers are all the go on quarter mile bikes - good enough for me.

http://bunnbreather.bigblog.com.au/index.do

I plan to have a mate modify the bottom of the tank to clean it up, still working on the design and might also get him to take the seam off all around the tank so that it sits 1/2" off the frame all round. There's also a couple of extrusions and holes in the exposed bit of the frame under the seat; not sure what to do there but if I decide to powdercoat the frame I'll just cut off the bits that stick out and have the holes welded up.

Did a rough MS-Paint clean-up of the tank bottom:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2678/4175312326_0bd1ccb1ea_o.jpg

PS - it makes your ankle a little warm, but if you ditch the chrome cover between the RH peg and the rear exhaust headers, it looks great (you might need to hit the headers with exhaust paint or JetHot coating) - this is mine before I switched to the R6 tail:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9661214@N07/3370751812/sizes/l/

The Phantom
08-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Second image didn't work - trying again:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3558/3370751812_1bb605fd01.jpg

VFighteR
09-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Fark Phantom, that looks great. Yeah Im in two minds about the panels, I love the "see through look as well, but I hate all that fugly pipework and wiring.

I actually thought about using boddy filler on the bottom of the tank, or have some stainless panels welded in to clean it up - not sure yet, im still only a 1/4 of the way through the project and will decide in a couple of months when I strip it to PC the frame

Yours looks great, nice clean lines...That tail end is mad, and I guess like me you suffer from ball slap lol - Oh well, what we'll do to have that ass up! Did you have to bod the subframe much to get it to fit the viffer frame? I really love that ass end =)

VFighteR
09-02-2010, 08:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by The Phantom

Second image didn't work - trying again:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3558/3370751812_1bb605fd01.jpg

where did you get the underseat mufflers?..I want them too =)

The Phantom
09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
It's a Wolf Racing underseat system (UK). It might be the only one in Oz for a 4th Gen VFR. A guy named Jeff imported it ($2k ten years ago!) and his bike ended up in the hands of a guy I know who found it way too loud for his liking, he offered it to me. Paid $400 and sold my Staintune for $300... only got the riser and canisters, so made my own inner fender out of sheet aluminium.

I still have it (it ended up being quite a bit of fabrication to make it all work) and it will probably go onto another 4th Gen one day; if I sell it there's a few guys on OzVFR who will claim dibs on it though :)

Was going to mate it to the Indigo full header system I have, now that would have been LOUD!

CBRRRT
09-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Why not adapt R1 5vy mufflers mate, then fit them with race baffles, they look good and sarnd larrrrrd.

VFighteR
09-02-2010, 09:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by The Phantom

It's a Wolf Racing underseat system (UK). It might be the only one in Oz for a 4th Gen VFR. A guy named Jeff imported it ($2k ten years ago!) and his bike ended up in the hands of a guy I know who found it way too loud for his liking, he offered it to me. Paid $400 and sold my Staintune for $300... only got the riser and canisters, so made my own inner fender out of sheet aluminium.

I still have it (it ended up being quite a bit of fabrication to make it all work) and it will probably go onto another 4th Gen one day; if I sell it there's a few guys on OzVFR who will claim dibs on it though :)

Was going to mate it to the Indigo full header system I have, now that would have been LOUD!

lol - well if you feel you want to sell it, I'll take it off your hands. I was going to get one made up anyhow =) Looks "fully sick mate" lmao

fimpBIKES
09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
im with phantom, i like the gap on my TLR cos it makes it obvious that its not just another i4 jap-bike

just curious too, how did you make them?
are they plastic?

VFighteR
09-02-2010, 11:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

im with phantom, i like the gap on my TLR cos it makes it obvious that its not just another i4 jap-bike

just curious too, how did you make them?
are they plastic?

Yeah, made from 4mm polycarbonate ( that grey stuff) good heating point and working time is longer than the standard, thinnner polycarbonate or perspex's - sands up and paints well and you can plastic weld lugs to it with no problem and can be cut with a jig saw. I used my oven at 180Deg to heat ( lucky the missus wasnt home) and took no time to become plyable
The more I look at the pic, the more im leaning towards not having them as I prefer the see through look too - As Phantom said, maybe I should get some work on the tank done first to get rid of the seams....hmmmmm choices choices choices, just need to work out how to better hide the spaghetti!