PDA

View Full Version : Bandit 12 *For sale now*

RED ZX
02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey Guys, Just thought I would start to detail my build/ownership of my play bike.

Everyday bike is a GSX1400, but a few weeks ago I bought a cheap Bandit 12 to play with/learn the ropes of bike modding.

I will upload some pictures soon.

Bike was originally an S model, but the previous owner had a fall and put dominators on it.

When I bought it, it needed new front tyre, and new fork seals. I figured while the forks are off, I may as well go a bit further and I am getting new Racetech springs installed, along with a re-valve suited to my weight and riding style. These shouls be back in my hands by this weekend.
Because the front is sorted, I realised I needed to do something with the worn out soft rear, so I have got myself a K7 GSXR1000 rear shock to go in. This should jack the rear up a bit and stiffen it all up nicely.

I already have some new Pilot Road 2s fitted.

Also when I got it the stock can had a hole in it and was beyond repair (who wants a stock can anyway?) So for now I have got a Yoshi RS3 slip on for it from egay.

Hope to go get some rego on it next month when its all in one peice again, then the fun begins.

Short term plan is K&N twin pods, stage 3 jet kit, nice flat drag bars, Acewell dash, tidy up some wiring then ride the bloody thing and have some fun.

Longer term plan is to make up a nice little turbo setup for it. Depending on funds when it comes to crunch time I will either go with Busa pistons (1216cc), or get some JE forgies in there, also at 1216cc.

I am unsure if I will buy a welder and start playing and make some of the setup myself, or just buy the stuff I know will work.

As I said, pics will come shortly.

RED ZX
19-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Well a little update:

Got a Yoshi RS3 Slip on fitted. Got RWC and regoed.
Currently on their way to me are some Hindle Race pipes, to which I am going to try and fit my Yoshi to. 14 tooth front sproket going on soon too.
Also have my K&N pods on the way and Factory Pro stage 3 jet kit.

Rear shock is actually a bit too short, so I need some new dog bones.
Suspension feels great, bike handles well, considering the BT45 that is on the rear (Pilot Road 2 waiting to go on)

My Acewell arrived today, so I just need to sort my mounting bracket, then I get to play with the wiring.

Anyway, here is a quick pic as it sits:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs452.ash1/24869_398327995114_553350114_5336234_1560143_n.jpg

RED ZX
19-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Have also decided to steer away from the turbo setup, instead going for a nice mild built NA engine. 12:1 CR 1216cc, ported head. Should keep me honest for a while, when I can afford it.

Elapid
19-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Nice one Chris, the old bandits are a tough bike. Just adding the dominators is a huge improvement to the looks of them.

Kris.

Cruisecontrol
20-03-2010, 08:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by RED ZX

Well a little update:

Got a Yoshi RS3 Slip on fitted. Got RWC and regoed.
Currently on their way to me are some Hindle Race pipes, to which I am going to try and fit my Yoshi to. 14 tooth front sproket going on soon too.
Also have my K&N pods on the way and Factory Pro stage 3 jet kit.

Rear shock is actually a bit too short, so I need some new dog bones.
Suspension feels great, bike handles well, considering the BT45 that is on the rear (Pilot Road 2 waiting to go on)

My Acewell arrived today, so I just need to sort my mounting bracket, then I get to play with the wiring.

My advice would be to put a Busa shock on the rear.
When you do away with the airbox it will literally bolt right in place where the stock piece of crap was. The change in handling is fantastic and as a bonus it is a touch longer.

Tony Nitrous
20-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Glad its found a home where its appreciated.

sharky
20-03-2010, 08:54 AM
quote:Glad its found a home where its appreciated.
True....I thought about it...but it would have been stripped to parts and sold that way [}:)][}:)]

RED ZX
20-03-2010, 12:51 PM
yeah alot of guys use the busa shock, but when I looked, the gsxr unit was there, and it too bolted right in, just trimmed 5mm off the batery tray. Just nede those dog bones to lift her up again.

Just picked up my new Shoei lid today, so my budget is gone for this week.

RED ZX
21-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Finished wiring up my Acewell now, I love the look of it.

Ordered a PAIRS block off kit too, which will tidy up under the tank alot.
Need the top frame inserts to tidy the look of the front end.

Looking forward to getting new bars and mirrors to bring the whole profile of the front down lower, and get rid of some chrome at the same time.

RED ZX
23-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Now I am a donating member I don't feel so bad for posting small updates.

Got my Factory Pro stage 3 jet kit in the mail today.
Now just waiting on my Hindle race pipes, K&N filters and PAIRS block off kit.

Also contemplating to chop about 6 inches out of the Yoshi. Thoughts? Will it be too loud, ie, have to clutch in and coast past police?

RED ZX
23-03-2010, 09:42 PM
anyone want to do a quick mock up of a SV tail on my bandit? kicked up a little bit?

This work computer is hopeless and my home computer is dead.

RevHead
24-03-2010, 06:12 PM
hey bloke just needed to know were you got your carby kits stage 3 jet kit any help would be appreciated cheers pete

RED ZX
24-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Ordered mine direct from factory pro USA. Much better kit than Dyno Jet. Wide selection of jets and easy to follow setup instructions.

Cruisecontrol
24-03-2010, 07:51 PM

Much better kit than Dyno Jet. Wide selection of jets and easy to follow setup instructions.

My Dyno Jet kit came with a wide selection of jets and easy to follow instructions.

RevHead
24-03-2010, 07:55 PM
yup just did that, broke the old credit card out ,ouch

RED ZX
25-03-2010, 02:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

Much better kit than Dyno Jet. Wide selection of jets and easy to follow setup instructions.

My Dyno Jet kit came with a wide selection of jets and easy to follow instructions.

Most people I have spoken to have been unhappy with the DJ kit. Something about them using their own size of jets, not standard Mikuni etc, so it's really guess work.

I have never used one, just passing on what I have been told.

MTBEERWAH
28-03-2010, 10:13 AM
G`day RED, what hugger have you got on,did it fit alright,and where did you buy it from? best of luck with project.

Cheers John.

RED ZX
28-03-2010, 09:05 PM
UPDATE:

Fitted my new Hindle race pipes, managed to mate them up to a Devil titanium can meant for an 05 ZX10.
Fitted K&N filters,
Fitted Jet kit, not taken it out yet to see how it runs.
Done a basic mounting job of my new headlight unit scored off evil bay.
Removed Pairs system, just waiting for block off plates to arrive.

Throw in a 300+km ride around Mt Glorious etc and it makes for a pretty good weekend.

Here is a crappy pic as it stood at 7pm tonight:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs102.snc3/15014_402895760114_553350114_5408021_5137634_n.jpg

bluemk1
29-03-2010, 01:16 AM
that looks like the headlight that was for sale on here.

why is the bike leaking?

RED ZX
29-03-2010, 09:22 AM
yeah its the headlight that was for sale on here, and that leak was me draining the airbox drain tube.

RED ZX
30-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Well I got out for a ride on it today, seems pretty good. Still need to wire up the front indicators.

Main Jet seems to be the right one, just need to adjust the needle height a bit, its too rich in the mid range.

A bit annoyed at one thing, on one of the down pipes, there was a bit of tape residue left over from shipping, and it has made it look nice and rusy in one sopt. Need to get some Autosol onto it I think.

Need some black paint too, to make the triple clamps and exhaust hanger stick out less. New bars and mirrors should not be far away either.

Cruisecontrol
30-03-2010, 07:06 PM
If you rejetted you may want to balance the carbs whilst you are there. I was amazed at how out of whack mine were.

And nice one on the Hindle headers. I have a set myself and love them (no more centre stand though...). The weight saving over stock is amazing!

RED ZX
30-03-2010, 08:28 PM
You can say that again. When I got the stockers off and held them I was amazed.

I will look into balancing carbs, never done it before.

RED ZX
30-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Anyone have a manometer I could borrow? or know of a cost effective way of balancing the carbs.

LINKY (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CARB-CARBURETTOR-BALANCER-VACUUM-GAUGES-4-DIAL_W0QQitemZ230414937825QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Ca r_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a5cceee1)

Would this be ideal? Considering I have more than 1 bike to balance.

RED ZX
30-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Just found the same balance kit I posted a link to on ebay UK for about $40 less even after postage. Should get here within a week. I feel the money is justified as I can balance my old mans bike, and the various other future project bikes I have planned.

Cruisecontrol
31-03-2010, 04:14 AM

Anyone have a manometer I could borrow? or know of a cost effective way of balancing the carbs.

Yeah, just make something up yourself.

Ended up costing me about six bucks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/carbsynch.jpg

RED ZX
31-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Well done. Love the tank support you have there.

RED ZX
10-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Slowly coming together, 14t front sprocket is on, just waiting on payday to get a new chain and rear sprocket for it. Going for standard gearing on the rear for now, see how I like it, then might go +2 on the rear later.

New drag bars fitted yesterday, along with new grips and bar ends. Still need some black mirrors and a splash of paint to make the triple clamps and bar clamps blend in a bit more.

Also jacked the rear end up so it feels ok now.

Will post a new pic soon.

RED ZX
19-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Another pic will come later this week.

I have my 14t front sprocket fitted, and the bike is silly fun now.

1st gear is pointless, just jumps straight up on the throttle, 2nd will lift my fat arse when it pulls around 6-7000rpm.

Motor is very tired, needs rings done sometime. Just need to save my pennys for a full engine rebuild, but the bike is still a shed load of fun for now.

RED ZX
24-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Updated pic, rear jacked up to a more reasonable height, K&N pods on, out for a run while the sun was out.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs476.ash1/26069_410724785114_553350114_5607177_6573513_n.jpg

BANDITROD
24-04-2010, 11:03 PM
red i run 14-48 on my bandit and it fucking hauls arse with that gearing if you like doing wheelies then thats the set up you need

RED ZX
25-04-2010, 04:31 AM
I am running 14-45 at the moment. It will come up on its own in 2nd, unless I am weighting the front.

I think it should be more interesting later this year with 1216 kit and some headwork.

RED ZX
03-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Decided the bike is just not for me.

It is too similar to my GSX1400, and just not as much fun for me.

I realised on Friday last week, gave it a second chance today, but just did not put that smile on my face. I know I was faster in the really tight stuff on it, much more ground clearance, but I was still longing for my 1400.

So someone else will likely benifit from my work on this bike so far, it is in the for sale section at the moment.