PDA

View Full Version : Old School Kwakka

TheFonz69
30-12-2006, 09:00 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/76172425027773.jpg

She ain't pretty, but i own it. am hoping to 'Fighter her soon

shift1313
30-12-2006, 11:25 PM
alright another gpz, They fighter very well mate:). looks like a clean one to start with, i see youve got a fork brake on it, and have your eccentric spun around for a higher rear end. What front rim is on there?

TheFonz69
31-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Just the Standard gear at the moment. am planning a suspension/brake upgrade first, then we shall see what we can do with the drivetrain. still has the factory air forks/shocks at the moment, and yes they are well and truly fucked. still thrash the shit outta her tho! ;)

shift1313
31-12-2006, 01:25 PM
yeah i remember locking up my front wheel several times trying to endo my bike in stock trim. Here is an article i wrote up some years ago when i started my bike.
http://gpzrider.lagemann.org/technical/gsxr_susp_swap.htm
it might help you choose parts. If you have any questions let me know.

edit, i guess the angle made the front rim look different. at a second glance it looks right.

PIZZ
01-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Good stuff fonz the old gpz's are getting popular now once you start there will be no going back.I put a 02mdl 636zxr front end in mine only had to take a little bit off the head stem bolt to fit the gpz bearings on and it bolted straight in perfect length to.Stops a hell of alot better now with 6 piston brakes.:D

Jockney Rebel
06-01-2007, 09:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by shift1313

yeah i remember locking up my front wheel several times trying to endo my bike in stock trim. Here is an article i wrote up some years ago when i started my bike.
http://gpzrider.lagemann.org/technical/gsxr_susp_swap.htm
it might help you choose parts. If you have any questions let me know.

edit, i guess the angle made the front rim look different. at a second glance it looks right.
hi im puttin gsx 600f suspension on an old cb900 and ive measured up the swing arm[ cut off the linkage points and i will be converting it to accept twin shocks] it appears to be quite a bit longer[maybe 60mm or more?] than the old tube effort will this make the bike worse ? should i junk the bov swing arm and stick with the old one ? considering the front will be down about 1 and 3/4 inches as well

shift1313
06-01-2007, 01:45 PM
so you are planning on using the cb900s twin shocks and you want to weld on to the steel gsx swingarm? and you say the gsx arm is like 2" longer then the cb? thats a big difference since the cbs were already like 57" wheelbase. are you planning on using the front end as well? it might not be stiff enough unless you got one from atleast a 750 or 1100. those 600s were spinnly things. What advantage do you see using this stuff? i dont know much about the cb900 but i cant imagine the gains from swapping this stuff is going to be great from the amount of time you will put into it. If you are just looking for 17" rims then swapping them over might be an easier road. a 60" wheelbase is pretty long and depending on how much you drop the front it might handle alot worse.

Jockney Rebel
06-01-2007, 02:58 PM
thanks matt u v probably saved me a lot of greif m8 im using these parts cos its what was available to me
basically 17"rims was the main aim plus the better brakes ,,i can get a box section arm from the later cb 900 82 onwards or a super four but one hasnt come up yet, im using upside down gas shox from an xjr 1200 and obviously the forks and wheel from the 600 ill need stiffer springs but i think bandit 12 springs will fit in these forks the weight difference between the 2 bikes is about 100 lbs

shift1313
07-01-2007, 01:20 AM
to tell you the truth the weight difference probably isnt in the swingarm or front end. both of those are probably minimal, its going to be all frame and motor. The front end will help if you stiffen it but id hold out on the rear. take some measurements, a wheel swap might be easy

Jockney Rebel
07-01-2007, 03:32 AM
will do m8 ta the wheel swap isnt gonna be that much grief the spindle sizes are not far off and the chain is nearly lining up and...the chain pitch is the same ![well it fits the 600s sprocket] yeh i realise the weight is in the frame and engine what i meant was the front end will be attached to a bike thats 100 lbs heavier than the one it came off ..is there a way of calculating what spring s i need or just go for springs that come off a bike about the same weight?

shift1313
07-01-2007, 09:12 AM
well the springs will depend on you and the bike weight. but if you get a bike that weigs about the same you should be good.

shift1313
08-01-2007, 01:27 AM
i notice another post by you about this bike. i forgot to mention more then a few people have just done rear rim swaps with great success. Apparently its pretty easy to get a 4.5" or a 5" rim on the back. I know there are a few that have stuffed 180section tires on the stock swinger. There is a writeup on 750turbo.com about doing a zx6 rear rim swap.

Jockney Rebel
08-01-2007, 06:31 PM
cheers matt uv bin a diamond m8.....front end next ...:]

TheFonz69
10-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Matt, just had a look at your site. *VERY* Helpful. At some point there will be an engine transplant, but that will take some careful and serious consideration

shift1313
10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
before you dump too much money into your engine I would think about this. My 738cc motor with custom jetting, kn individual filters and kerker 4-1 pipe dynoed 79hp. 810's usually dyno about 81-83hp from what ive seen. Since then i also changed the ignitor unit, decked the head a bit and now im adding gsxr flat slides. Id say all in all this time around ill get 85hp out of it after a few more tweaks. this was at the wheel. I would just think about what you will get for your money. Im not sure what 810 kits cost over there but they arent cheap over here.

TheFonz69
14-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Funny you should say thaty. I'm actually leaning towards a wiseco 810 kit, and playing with the motor a bit. keeping it old school

shift1313
15-01-2007, 11:29 PM
well i just thought id mention it because the gains from the 810 are small compared to other things you can do. Ive never ridden one but seen all the dyno numbers and id say unless you need to bore yours out or toast something id leave it 738. Or atleast that wouldnt be my first mod anyways. For my carbs all i did was get a larger main, 185 i think, drill the slide and shim the needle up and it runs great(ofcourse our elevation is different im sure) The only thing the jet kits offer that i dont have is an air correction jet but i havent needed it so far. Ignitor mod is plug in from a zx10 i think. It gives a bit more advance and actually gives you a revlimiter which is good cause ive buried my tach before.

TheFonz69
01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Well here's an update of sorts. last week i was headed down the freeway at a leisurely 120, and i said to the bike "Proceed at this leisurely pace towards the gold coast." The top end thought i said "self destruct", so it did. Not 100% sure (And won't be until i get a chance to strip the motor down), but i think the timing gear has slipped, or shat itself, and done the top end. it will turn over, but is missing, an backfarting. As good an excuse as any to stipp the old girl down and turn her into something else. *Cue Evil Grin*

Jockney Rebel
01-02-2007, 09:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by TheFonz69

Well here's an update of sorts. last week i was headed down the freeway at a leisurely 120, and i said to the bike "Proceed at this leisurely pace towards the gold coast." The top end thought i said "self destruct", so it did. Not 100% sure (And won't be until i get a chance to strip the motor down), but i think the timing gear has slipped, or shat itself, and done the top end. it will turn over, but is missing, an backfarting. As good an excuse as any to stipp the old girl down and turn her into something else. *Cue Evil Grin*
would u be interested in a 86 GPz 1100 injection....???

dazz
02-02-2007, 08:07 AM
[/quote]would u be interested in a 86 GPz 1100 injection....???
[/quote]

I would after our discussion yesterday:D

TheFonz69
02-02-2007, 10:47 AM
i would be *VERY* Interested. PM me with details like cost and location, etc and we can go from there

Jockney Rebel
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
ill try and get more info on it me boss just sacked the geezer that told me about it :[

shift1313
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM
the 1100fi stuff is a good upgrade for the 750turbo. Ive never seen it done on a na gpz, would be pretty cool.

sucks about the motor. before you go stripping it down pull the right hand engine cover off and check your pickups. You can test them with a meter, the connector comes out of the bottom case and plugs in next to the battery vent tube somewhere. I would definately check your ignition system before you got stripping the motor to find out its alright. a compression check would help you there.

good luck

evad
02-02-2007, 11:30 PM
How about a 650?
Video link off 650 running on GPZ11 FI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDFTLjmo7ZE

Jockney Rebel
03-02-2007, 12:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by evad

How about a 650?
Video link off 650 running on GPZ11 FI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDFTLjmo7ZE
kool i just love them old zeds

evad
03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
me to, Ive had this one for 28 years.....[:0]

TheFonz69
04-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Well after talking to a guy who is summat of an expert in GPZ's, he says it sounds like my timing chain adjuster has slipped or let go, and that there is a fair chance that i've done the head as well.

evad
04-02-2007, 09:46 AM
If thats the case you might have some bent valves, bugger

shift1313
05-02-2007, 12:53 AM
evad, thats pretty cool there. thats one clean, and nicely modded z650.

fonz. you can check your tenstioner by pulling it off. It highly doubt it let go because it has two very stiff springs inside it. Its under your carbs. the side poking out to the right is the secondary spring i guess for decel lash. loosen that( i believe 14mm) then pull the whole thing off the block, 6mm allen maybe. Id say the only chance of it letting go(since it relys on spring pressure) is if a spring broke or one of your guides in the motor wore slap out. pull your tank(maybe your coils cant remember, and pull your VC off as well. It will tell you everything you need to know. good luck

jubuntu
05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
that thing looks like a mutant ninja turtle

TheFonz69
05-02-2007, 09:47 AM
funny you should say that in a way jubuntu. one of my (Many) nicknames is Yoda. i didn't chose the colour, it was that one before i got it.