PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a Drag Bike engine

papa smurf
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok, some of will know that we are putting a new, bigger lump in the drag bike.
A 1428cc big block to be precise as opposed to the 1170 that we've been running for the last 4 years.
We got the bottom end done last weekend & the rest "should" be finished next weekend.
Then comes the fun part,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,testing.:D
Some progress pic's.

Old engine out & on the bench ready to donate it's clutch & Joe Marshall gearbox.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1265021538.jpg

New top crank case, bored to fit the big block sleeves.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1265044299.jpg

Closer look at how much the case has had taken out to accomodate the extra cubes.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1265035518.jpg

New balanced & welded crank (again courtesy of Joe Marshall)& donated clutch & gearbox fitted.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1265026091.jpg

We have the bottom case on as well so hopefully all goes well with the top end this weekend & then it's off to the track to thoroughly shit myself.:D:D

Weaselman
01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
wow man there isnt much in the way of wall thickness there between the cylinders. Is there a danger of melting a hole through?

papa smurf
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Not really weasel, What's missing in alloy is kinda taken up by the steel sleeves.
If it's all put together properly, with the right gear & this is, then there shouldn't be any problem.
Oh, & also rmember that it's a drag bike & doesn't run for very long. Max about 3 to 4 minutes at a time.

yoda
01-02-2010, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by papa smurf

If it's all put together properly, with the right gear & this is, then there shouldn't be any problem.

He says with a fucking big 'engine building' hammer on the bench!

What sort of power/torque are you hoping to get mate?

papa smurf
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by yoda

quote:Originally posted by papa smurf

He says with a fucking big 'engine building' hammer on the bench!

What sort of power/torque are you hoping to get mate?

Yep, can't put one of these together without special too FBH.
As for torque & power figures we'll just be guessing as it won't be going on a dyno.
Let's just say it'll have enough to put the bike well in to the 8 second area at over 150MPH.
The old engine ran a best of 9.34 @142mph but is very tired & lately only running in the high 9.5's low 9.6's.

We're hoping the chassis & tyre will handle it as it's a relatively un-altered chassis & only runs a seven inch rear tyre.
I'm taking plenty of spare undies the first time out.[:0]

rock hard
01-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Thats Awesome Russ,just noticed that your still running the original rubber front mounts,btw i always get nervous when i see a claw hammer near open crankcases..

jakam04
01-02-2010, 09:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by rock hard

Thats Awesome Russ,just noticed that your still running the original rubber front mounts,btw i always get nervous when i see a claw hammer near open crankcases..

That'll be Rick ;)

evilkarl
02-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Nice Rick, Some exciting times ahead as you tame the new beast.

papa smurf
02-02-2010, 04:10 PM
HAHA, tame it be fucked.
This is a Scott Lynch engine, there'll be no taming it.
Just hang on grit your teeth & enjoy the ride.[:p][:p]

RUSS M8
02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
very interesting, keep up the piccies, and can't wait to see the launch shots :)

sharky
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
quote:can't wait to see the launch shots
Do you remember those shots of Ozcat once upon a time :D[B)]

papa smurf
02-02-2010, 05:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

quote:can't wait to see the launch shots
Do you remember those shots of Ozcat once upon a time :D[B)]

Fuck off Russ:D
Mind you i will have spare jocks in the trailer.;)
Hey, i need to talk to you too, give us a bell on my land line when you get a chance.

papa smurf
05-02-2010, 05:06 PM
The rest of this is going together on Sunday.
Michelle will again be armed with the camera for more pic's.
This is the real fiddly part, putting the head together, dialling in the cams etc;
Should be fun.;)

papa smurf
25-05-2010, 07:32 PM
OK, well i know it's been a while but after MANY trials & tribulations, not to mention electrical gremlins we have FINALLY got a drag bike that goes down the track.
Got 2 passes in last weekend & it scared the living shit out of me.:D
I think i'm REALLY going to like this new engine.[:p][:p]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBxAGRxKxI

BANDITROD
25-05-2010, 07:49 PM
fuck thats awsesome rick its got some balls hasnt it

25-05-2010, 09:31 PM
1st pass was well corrected mate,although i've seen you fight the old motor better than that.Second was cleaner,are you short shifting coz it sounds like its got heaps more RPM to go,and should be up round 155mph???.Any chance i can have a go of it at the Winter Nats? Who was that bloke checkin out your arse in the second run.

papa smurf
26-05-2010, 06:10 AM
The 1st pass actually spun the tyre heaps, shift light stayed on until half track.[:0]
Second was better & a lot straighter but still didn't hook up properly, gotta play with tyre pressures.
HAHA, yes that was Shayne, making sure i was lined up straight.

It's gunna take a while to sort it but that's half the fun.:D

80s freak
26-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Good work mate. Gotta love it.

Gix11
26-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Fuck me, that second pass went like stink and you weren't even hooked up!? That things gonna fly!

papa smurf
26-05-2010, 03:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Fuck me, that second pass went like stink and you weren't even hooked up!? That things gonna fly!

Well it was hooked up for some of the pass.
The bit of a wiggle you see on the video of the second pass is where it spun the rear tyre while the front wheel was IN THE AIR.[:0]
That's the bit that really got my attention.
All the other things that happened, i've had happen before at different times but i've only ever heard stories about bikes that spun the tyre & hiked the front wheel at the same time.
Shook it's head like a mad thing & like i said, it certainly got my attention.:D:D

sharky
26-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Good to see it running well mate.

StuNVA
26-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Great stuff

el sammo
26-05-2010, 10:24 PM
cool!! joe marshall is a really cool guy, he let me take his GS "something big cc" for a ride a while ago top bloke

livewire
03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Woohoo, winters, here we come.
Liking the slider clutch?

papa smurf
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by livewire

Woohoo, winters, here we come.
Liking the slider clutch?

WOOHOO indeed, we can't wait.
When are you getting here G?
We are doing the warmup on sunday, should go close to that 8.? on a nice sticky track.
Nah mate, i'm not liking the slider at all.
I fucken LOVE it.:D