PDA

View Full Version : want to borrow / buy an OSCILLOSCOPE

Deano
28-01-2010, 05:50 PM
need find out the quality of a magnetic sensor output. am told i need to hook up and osilloscope to it.

any help or ideas would be appreicated

dean

TurboKat
28-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey Deano, got your message the other day but my phone's fucked so I can receive calls & texts but can't send anything.
As for the 'scope, Rohan's got a good one.

Deano
28-01-2010, 07:27 PM
just tried to ring mate. is disconnected

TurboKat
28-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Fuck !

latheboy
29-01-2010, 06:49 AM
We have one at work.... Its got about 30 pallets in front of it so i wont be getting out in a hurry.

Benz
29-01-2010, 01:00 PM
You can compare signals with an analogue multimeter, connect the terminals to the meterleads, and pass a metallic object over the sensor. This will also give you phasing, if that's any help..........!!

latheboy
29-01-2010, 02:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

We have one at work.... Its got about 30 pallets in front of it so i wont be getting out in a hurry.

Its dead sorry bud...

Deano
29-01-2010, 04:30 PM
not to worry mate.

i still have a cam sensor problem. the autronic man said to put have a look at the signal via a scope with the bike running and reving to the area that the error occurs to see what is happening.

latheboy
29-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I would be worried about free reving it to 9500 with no load....
Hopefully ill be building a couple of new dyno's soon, we'll make words at each other about it later..

DaveK5
29-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Get yerself one of these Deano...I bought one when my old cro died...fuckin unreal for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Uni-T-UT81B-Oscilloscope-8MHz-With-USB-Vivid-LCD-81B_W0QQitemZ140352710723QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_B_I _Electrical_Test_Equipment?hash=item20adac6843

MotoMax
31-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Hi Deano....the Autotronic guy is right, the only way to find out what is happening to the signal is with a scope. That way you can look how clean the signal is and whether or not you are getting any interference at different revs by looking at the amplitude and shape of the curve, the height of the peak gives you the output voltage. Most scopes have a freeze facility so you can measure it.

I had a similar problem that at high revs the ref and sync, ie the crank and cam sensors became too close to each other (you wouldn't think they would alter but they do), they were not phased enough apart when I fabricated the crank trigger. It was an easy fix, if you swop the signal wires around it will read off the trailing edge of the tooth instead of the leading edge.
Fortunately I was using Motec they seem to be compatible with most magnetic triggers.
Good luck.:)

Deano
02-02-2010, 06:15 AM
cheers mate. got onto an instrument tech that will come around one weekend with his scope and we will see what we will come up with.

i also will be getting a 2nd cam cover so that i can try a couple of different sensors that i have. one will be the stock cam sensor off late model efi gsxr. i will check what the trigger looks like on the cam and try to replicate this and see if that works. short of that i will try basic gear tooth sensor on one of the cam lobes.

MotoMax
02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a plan........

If you are using standard bike cam triggers, make sure your system is compatible with the number of teeth, I had to chop two of the three trigger teeth off my cbr cam to get it working right.

Also screen the trigger wires and remember to earth the screening on one side only as earthing both ends negates the effect.

cheers