View Full Version : Greg Pretty dies in head-on

suxukifreak
17-01-2010, 08:08 AM
For those who remember the 70s....

http://www.fullnoise.com.au/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_full&News_id=6705

Hagarr
17-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Never good news.

reminder to us all no matter how well you ride!

80s freak
17-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Time to rest now Greg.

rock hard
17-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Rest in peace Mate,Greg was in his time a truly gifted racer.his exploits on the chain driven XS1100 were spectacular.My deepest condolences to his family and his riding mates he will be sadly missed..thanks again Des for the heads up.

rock hard
17-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Yes Danny its true what you say.But for those of us getting Up there in years You never know when its your turn.I live by the idea live life to the full,dont leave this planet without giving it a good shake up...

Hagarr
17-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Apparantly he was to ride at the Island Classic on the Chain Drive XS1100 which Rex Wolfenden has restored/

rock hard
18-01-2010, 07:25 PM
thats fucked up.from memory he wasnt much of a crasher..which considering the size of a XS11 was quiet a feat!i got a close up look at that bike of the pitmans built,again my memory isnt that flash,but im sure it was at bathurst when i was spannering for the newcastle boys in the wrangler jeans team and it had solex side draft carbs many many hand made bits and it was Faaaast..still though its not right that some one elses fuckin mistake cost The Man his life...

suxukifreak
18-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Sorry.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1263868006.jpg

R.I.P. Greg Pretty.

devo
18-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Jim and Greg are probably talking about that right now me thinks ;)

18-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Or fighting it out for pole.

Well remembered, both of them.

rock hard
19-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey Mick, if thats Alan Hales to the right of Greg pretty,im sure they would have alot to talk about..

19-01-2010, 12:48 PM
G'day Morrie,
Yeah, Alan's another ex-racer taken out in a road accident. His was on the Old Road, a piece of tar he knew very well. The three of them could get together with Ron Toombes and Kenny Blake. Bit sad when you think about it.

rock hard
19-01-2010, 03:03 PM
the only way to make something positive Mick is that Pretty,toombsey kenny blake,alan hales all up till the point where it turned to shit were having a fuckin Ball.i know for a fact Bullfrog was doing the same,Just doing what we all love Just Riding,the trouble is that for us blokes that were born before 1960 this type of news will unfortunatly be more regular,what about Roy Dennison total ratbag on a bike Top Bloke and Cancer ate him up..live every day like its your last..

19-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Forgot Roy. An absolute gentleman to deal with. Met him when he was the Michelin distributor for NSW.

Where do you pull up? Gregg Hansford and Dr Roger Freeth were both killed in car racing accidents.

Joey Dunlop is another one who comes to mind.

I live every day, not just plod along. My near-death experience made me more determined to enjoy life and live it.

devo
19-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Don't forget Sheene and Hailwood , the paper get me the paper ;)

puppet
19-01-2010, 06:44 PM
And one of the Hiscock brothers Dave or Neville and Len Willing.

puppet
19-01-2010, 07:16 PM
And Robert Holden

19-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Two of the toughest old blokes I've watched race were Keo Madden and Eric 'Debbo' Debenham. Both now gone.

devo
19-01-2010, 09:15 PM
quote:And one of the Hiscock brothers Dave or Neville and Len Willing.

Puppet it was Neville that is gone , I heard he got pissed off with the aussie bike racing scene and all it's political bullshit....Died in South Africa 1983.( doing what he loved )

The Mad One
21-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Yup dont matter who you are sometimes the odd`s are against you.For all the fallen brothers & families surrounding our lifestyle there is not much choice.Ride on ;)

loosebruce
22-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Amen, Mad One, Ride on.

hornet600
26-01-2010, 10:50 AM
suzukifreak, could you please remove the picture of Greg on the #64 superbike? it is my copyright property, and was copied from Netrider without my permission.

rock hard
26-01-2010, 10:53 AM
are you serious?

hornet600
26-01-2010, 11:04 AM
yes, very

Hagarr
26-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Not trying to be a smart arse but how do you proove something like that Hornet?

BANDITROD
26-01-2010, 07:50 PM
ahh so now i see what the go is with netrider it is full of fuckwits

suxukifreak
26-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Here is the link to the mystery photo...

http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?p=1917421

Page 2 is a interesting read.

Cruisecontrol
26-01-2010, 08:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by hornet600

housebreaking, could you please remove the picture of Greg on the #64 superbike? it is my copyright property, and was copied from Netrider without my permission.

You posted it on the internet moron, and without watermarking it it has become public domain.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1264566135.jpg

:D:D:D

suxukifreak
26-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Come on Cruise, you will get me in trouble again http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1264543447.gif

Cruisecontrol
26-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I noticed the harsh word you received over yonder Des, and I too am concerned about incurring such wrath...

Their fights are as bland and inoffensive as their bikes.

Large
26-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I've seen enough of his work (posted in pisstake threads on other forums)to state irrevocably that Hornet guy is quite the fuckwit.

As you're not attempting to profit from the pic, I reckon he hasn't got shit. Then again, you could do what the papers do with a bit of subtle shooping

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1264542063.jpg

R.I.P Greg Pretty- no disrespect intended to you or yours.

The Mad One
26-01-2010, 09:19 PM
You Had better Just FUCK right off YOU FUCK WIT.WHO the FUCK do you have a shit spray pointed at other than the mirror[:o)]
quote:Originally posted by hornet600[}:)]

yes, very

hornet600
26-01-2010, 09:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

I appreciate your comment. I own the original picture; it is a colour print that I scanned and it has only appeared twice on the Internet, both times in threads about racing, posted on Netrider forums. If the person who posted it had asked the admins of Netrider who owned the picture they would have directed him to myself. I would have been happy to have given perrmission for it to be posted on your forum.

I understand that stuff gets cross-pollinated on the 'Net all the time, but if you search for Greg Pretty, you will not find that picture anywhere else except where I posted the scan of the original print. It was posted here within a very short time of my posting it in a thread about Greg's death; that's not a co-incidence. You can check the first posting of it in a thread called "The way we were" in the racing forum on Netrider, and then in the thread from which it was lifted, "Greg Pretty killed" in the same area.

I don't think it's too much to ask for people to seek to find the originators of material on the 'Net and seek permission to re-publish it with appropriate acknowledgement, especially in such a small and defined area as motor-cycling and motorcycle racing....

Tony OW31
26-01-2010, 09:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by hornet600

quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

I appreciate your comment. I own the original picture; it is a colour print that I scanned and it has only appeared twice on the Internet, both times in threads about racing, posted on Netrider forums. If the person who posted it had asked the admins of Netrider who owned the picture they would have directed him to myself. I would have been happy to have given perrmission for it to be posted on your forum.

I understand that stuff gets cross-pollinated on the 'Net all the time, but if you search for Greg Pretty, you will not find that picture anywhere else except where I posted the scan of the original print. It was posted here within a very short time of my posting it in a thread about Greg's death; that's not a co-incidence. You can check the first posting of it in a thread called "The way we were" in the racing forum on Netrider, and then in the thread from which it was lifted, "Greg Pretty killed" in the same area.

I don't think it's too much to ask for people to seek to find the originators of material on the 'Net and seek permission to re-publish it with appropriate acknowledgement, especially in such a small and defined area as motor-cycling and motorcycle racing....

So what you are saying is that you scanned a print and it is now your copyright?
I think you had better have a little read up on copyright Law.

rock hard
26-01-2010, 09:57 PM
To Hornet,Given the circumstances for the starting of this thread in memory of Greg Pretty. for those of us old enough to have seen him race and to know who he was in the age of the first of the modern era of "Superbikes".and the true Champions of that era he was right up there at the pointy end.so for a couple of photos posted from "where ever".Cant you see how pathetically PETTY your posts have been.and why you have managed to upset our lads here on ASF,the reason i personly have so much time and respect for my fellow forum members is that last year when one of our west aussie members was also tragicly killed in an accident, MANY MANY of the members of this forum showed their True Colours by condolences and digging deeply for the Trust fund for his child set up on this forum..they showed the true meaning of respect and kindness.exactly the same in the instance of Greg pretty the same outpouring of condolences and RESPECT for him and his family..sadly your totaly Pathetic attempt to upset people who meant no disrespect to you by Borrowing a photo for no reason but to pay homage...you should be ashamed....whereas you could of been proud of your magnificent photo...morry

BANDITROD
26-01-2010, 10:00 PM
well said morry

Hagarr
26-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Give that man a cigar!

Vaughan Coburn
27-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Gregs death is an absolute tragedy.....he was such a nice human being.

Hornet is as his name says....a pest.... and masquerades as an "expert" on a
motorcycle racing forum on net rider. My brother and I would point out his errors and we were subsequently barred from that pathetic site.
The lack of respect that the cretin has shown towards GPs untimely death is evident by his unwelcome comments posted here.

Iceman
27-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Hornet600, can you please change you name as I'm sure it is copyrighted to Honda.

BANDITROD
27-01-2010, 05:33 PM
bwahahahahahahahahaha

Issues
27-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Unless I have forgotten something, or there are have been changes to the forum rules, unless Hornett600 has done an intro he has the right to Shut the fuck up until he has told us about himself. What a rude cunt, with no respect for the dead. Who gives a fuck if he copied a print.

Sorry suxukifreak, but this Hornett600 bloke is a fuckwit.

Bullfrog
28-01-2010, 10:37 AM
As the wife of a fallen rider, Hornet600 you are completely out of line. At this time Greg's family do not need some complete random claiming "ownership" to anything that is Greg. Would you have sent that response to the Pretty family had they set up a tribute page using your photo as I did for Jeremy using many photo's that were already on the web?
I took a lot of comfort in the outpouring of support I received from everyone on this forum and others that Jeremy was associated with. To know that your husband is well respected and looked up to among his peers offers those of us left behind some comfort.
The ladies and gentlemen on this site have hearts of gold and only wanted to pay their respects to a man who from what I have read is very deserving of their admiration. Hornet600, your actions are nothing but disrespectful.

My condolences to the Pretty family and friends.

Amanda

Vaughan Coburn
28-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Well said Amanda.

rock hard
28-01-2010, 11:47 AM
:)

Seifer
28-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Very well said.
Hornet you are a knob.

Hillsy
28-01-2010, 01:26 PM
LOL - how did I miss this thread?

Hornet - you are a complete fuckwit. Now go and speak to your lawyer so he can charge you $200 to tell you the same thing.

Jup
28-01-2010, 01:55 PM
This is my image (not sourced from any other place in the internet) and may be freely distributed in any format accross any medium:

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1264662452.gif

I only ask that any proceeds arising from the use of this image be forwarded on to Greg Prettys family out of respect.

DiscoDan
28-01-2010, 06:40 PM
The funny thing is now the netrider thread has been completely sanitised, not a single word on the while photo debate remains. It's actually now on-topic. I wonder who's doing that was

suxukifreak
28-01-2010, 06:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

The funny thing is now the netrider thread has been completely sanitised, not a single word on the while photo debate remains. It's actually now on-topic. I wonder who's doing that was

The topic was 3 pages long, now its cut back to 2 pages.

Should join up and put a link to this topic on. ;)

Large
28-01-2010, 07:53 PM

That's how nerdrider works.

If anything is too embarassing to hornet or his cohorts...it just ceasts to exist and/or the poster gets banned.

Gix11
28-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Exceedingly big brother and very eerie!

JackTar
28-01-2010, 08:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by suxukifreak

Please don't Des.

We are trying to build support for this club not lose it by starting a war with another bike forum. I am pretty sure that one guy know's how some people feel about him considering a lot of people on that forum were into him as well let's just leave it alone.

Cruisecontrol
28-01-2010, 08:05 PM
You've changed.

JackTar
28-01-2010, 08:08 PM
LOL one tool just isn't worth the angst Dan, he knows he is a tool.

Large
28-01-2010, 08:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Please don't Des.

We are trying to build support for this club not lose it by starting a war with another bike forum. I am pretty sure that one guy know's how some people feel about him considering a lot of people on that forum were into him as well let's just leave it alone.

I've seen enough of his work to say you're wrong barrel boy.

That particular fuckwit could be driving the wrong way down the expressway and be abusing everyone going the right way...never once would he consider he could be in the wrong.

JackTar
28-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Flame away then, I just think you guys are giving him more attention than he deserves and that is exactly what he wants not to mention we ar ruining this thread about a dead rider.

Large
28-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Nah, no intention of flaming, just letting you know how bad hornet really is.

Try joining nerdrider and see how long you last...

DiscoDan
28-01-2010, 09:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Please don't Des.

Agreed, let him self destruct but keep our nose clean

Hillsy
29-01-2010, 07:08 AM
What happened to the other thread that was started by the new guy to flame Hornet boy? It's been deleted??

sharky
29-01-2010, 07:45 AM
I believe it was removed for the reasons stated by Jacktar....
We are not looking to start a slanging war between forums.
The new guy that started the thread said
quote:I was reading the kind comments about Greg Pretty and then I read a post by member Hornet600 which prompted me to join and respond to his dribble.
So this started by a newbie who joined just to publically slag someone off...

Vaughan Coburn
29-01-2010, 08:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

I believe it was removed for the reasons stated by Jacktar....
We are not looking to start a slanging war between forums.
The new guy that started the thread said
quote:I was reading the kind comments about Greg Pretty and then I read a post by member Hornet600 which prompted me to join and respond to his dribble.
So this started by a newbie who joined just to publically slag someone off...

He was copping plenty on here (and deservedly so) before I joined.:)

sharky
29-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Maybe so mate but we are trying to promote ourselves and our events.
We can bitch amongst ourselves all night long.

rock hard
29-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey Sharky, i can vouch for vaughan,he is also from the group of the same quality as greg pretty he would be the complete opposite of the insect who tried to ruin the tribute to greg, besides being a top level roadracer who raced here and europe(Vaughan)he has the same spirit as the rest of the ASF crew.see if Des can find a photo of his TZ Yamaha with a naked shelia on the sides..fuckin Cool..GOOD to hear from you Vaughan,just a pity under these circumstances...Btw Russ the stickers are in todays post..see ya

suxukifreak
29-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Too easy.....

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1264746097.jpg

I cant wait to see who owns this photo ;)

sharky
29-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Fair enough Morry...but without him introducing himself we have no idea who he is....could be anyone...

Vaughan Coburn
29-01-2010, 12:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by rock hard

Hey Sharky, i can vouch for vaughan,he is also from the group of the same quality as greg pretty he would be the complete opposite of the insect who tried to ruin the tribute to greg, besides being a top level roadracer who raced here and europe(Vaughan)he has the same spirit as the rest of the ASF crew.see if Des can find a photo of his TZ Yamaha with a naked shelia on the sides..fuckin Cool..GOOD to hear from you Vaughan,just a pity under these circumstances...Btw Russ the stickers are in todays post..see ya

Thanks for kind words Rock. Just to put everbody in the picture, Greg and I have been mates since 1975ish and he was my best man at my first wedding. Greg was always at me to do track days with him and I always told him to fuck off and dont be silly!!!
I have never met a nicer bloke than GP and I will always miss him.
My blood boiled when that rock spider started wanking on about the rights to a fucking photo:(
Greg did not tolerate imbeciles either......such a tragedy.
Hi to all members and R.I.P. Greg.

rock hard
29-01-2010, 01:03 PM
:)

sharky
29-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Fair do's VC. But you can understand my point...
Anyways enough of his...Respect to Greg and condolences.

PS Cheers Morry, my FJ rat will wear them with pride.