PDA

View Full Version : Whats best way to remove a drive sprocket bolt?

VFighteR
15-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Having a lot of trouble doing this and have burred the bolt a little =(

HHHHEEEEEEWWWWWWWPPPPP!

Jup
15-01-2010, 01:56 PM
While you're waiting for a response from someone who's done it before (I have only ever seen it done) how about spraying some WD40/Inox/RP7 on it and let it do its thing?

latheboy
15-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Make sure you have a hex socket and not a mutli star one.
Put it in 1st gear and have someone on the brake, and a braker bar.... and what Jup said WD40/CRC

Mishdog20
15-01-2010, 02:15 PM
if ya still can't get it off, 9 inch the fucker...

VFighteR
15-01-2010, 02:16 PM
hehehe Thanks Mishdog...

It wouldn't be a left handed thread would it?

latheboy
15-01-2010, 02:35 PM
No it wont be.
9" is so last decade..... OXY and Sledge Hammer is the Now

damo1
15-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I did mine by standing on the righthand side of the bike with my right foot on the brake, a 1/2 inch braker bar and a peice of pipe over that for extra leverage.

Make sure you have left your chain on and as stated make sure it is in gear.

I rocked the bike forward so there was no slack to be taken up in the chain.

Leave the bike on the side stand as well.

Its going to make a noise like something has broken when it first lets go because they are fuckn really tight.

If all else fails try find someone with a rattle/impact gun and get them to rattle it off.

And as stated before;

MAKE SURE YOU ONLY USE A HEX HEAD SOCKET FOR THIS JOB.

Good luck mate they can be a real fucker.

-Dex-
15-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Possible to get a bit of heat on the nut first before you try to crack it?

Gix11
15-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Piece of wood through the rear wheel spokes (you'll need another point to lean it on with a single sider) and then a barbell tube (with the weights removed obviously) slid over the end of the rachet handle to give you 6 feet of torque.

Rocket
15-01-2010, 04:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Piece of wood through the rear wheel spokes (you'll need another point to lean it on with a single sider) and then a barbell tube (with the weights removed obviously) slid over the end of the rachet handle to give you 6 feet of torque.

Geez Si, who does the nuts up on YOUR bike !!

Fucking Conan the Barbarian ?

thepj
15-01-2010, 05:23 PM
arc/air gauger should get the bolt out good.

grindella
15-01-2010, 05:36 PM
put it inb first gear, hold on back brack, use impact driver and suitable socket. If you have single hex sockets to avoid burring nut. If nut is burred try an imperial socket rather than metric. You should loosen it this way. This is one person job. If this fails use 9" angle grinder to cut off nut.

Gix11
15-01-2010, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rocket

quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Geez Si, who does the nuts up on YOUR bike !!

Fucking Conan the Barbarian ?

Yea mate, he's a shit mechanic but good at walking round the hills hoist.

RC36
15-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Cold chisel and 10 pound mallet normaly works for me.

Zed14
15-01-2010, 08:03 PM
rattle gun

VFighteR
15-01-2010, 09:15 PM
YAY GOT THE FUCKER OFF!

Praise the lord for a product called WURTH, ROST OFF PLUS. It dissolves the rust and the bolt broke with no problem - And yes, a 6 point socket works much better!! Time to get a breaker bar too I think =D

Thankx for all your advise fella's - Hope to see some of you Sunday for the Marysville ride with Loads if It dont rain!!

HOS
16-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Those nuts can get real tight.

Even a 4 foot tommie bar and someone sat on the bike pushing up hard against the shed roof while you lift the whole lot off the ground sometimes aint enough, trust me.

Best way by far is using a compressed air or electric ratchet tool.
Take seconds.