PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Question

pappas
14-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I've recently changed my fork springs in my WR450. Whilst changing them over I noticed that one of the damper rods would fall at a much faster rate than the other, however the force needed to pull both damper rods back up was almost identical. I changed the springs over and noticed when assembled one of the forks has little to no dampening with the same settings on the base valve. Dampening was the same on both forks.

Would anyone have any ideas on what's going on

crazymofo
14-01-2010, 09:56 PM
some forks run compression damping on one side and rebound on the other.... could the WR have this?

cheers.joe.

pappas
15-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Not to sure. I just rang a suspension guy and he said it could be the poppet valve or a bent shim.

grindella
15-01-2010, 01:05 PM
how are the o rings?

damo1
15-01-2010, 03:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by crazymofo

some forks run compression damping on one side and rebound on the other.... could the WR have this?

cheers.joe.

The wr450 that Pappas has ( being my old one) has preload,compression and rebound in both legs.

Mate i may be stating the obvious but did you do your oil levels with the forks completly pushed down??And got the exact amount of oil in both.???
If you have different oil lvl it could make one fall at a different rate.

Also something to be mind full of is that i read when i did the fork seals that they have a habit of getting airbubbles in them which are ahrd to get out.

You need to pump the fork in and out a number of times and recheck the oil lvl, then pump it again and recheck.

If you did your lvl and then an air bubble escaped you could have a lower oil lvl than you actually thought in the first place.

May be an idea just to double check it before giving it to someone else jsut to find the same thing.

pappas
18-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks Damo. I did pump the rod and the outer fork leg a few times, but I might pull them off and redo them just to be sure.