PDA

View Full Version : Tailend swaps???

RC36
12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if any one has ever made a list the same as the list made up for front end swaps??.

I want to swap the tailend of the VFR to somthing more like the newer CBR or R1, so that I can fit undertail cans. but not sure what there bolt center to center are and how wide the fames are.

Seifer
12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Customize homie.

RC36
13-01-2010, 01:18 AM
well I was hoping to find a tail sub frame of one of them bikes and go from there, maybe hit it with the pipe bend to fit or make up a set of plates to make it fit.

Seifer
13-01-2010, 09:53 AM
It would be to hard to compile a list on this as there are too many combinations. Best bet probably is too search for examples of your bike fightered and go form there. I myself have a gsxr 1100 with an R1 tail. Ive used the R1 subframe by welding some plates to the frame for the subframe to bolt onto.

RC36
14-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Well I'm kicking myself I didnt see Sharky selling that tail unit before at the start of the year... Would have jump that like a fat kid on a suger rush. Back to the waiting and keeping an eye out for the next chance.

But what you have said is what I thought I would have to do.. Was and still going to make up a custom seat to fit what ever frame I use, same with the cowling. Dont have a welder at the moment so just seeing if I can work around that or bite the bullet and just get one...

ACTAngler
16-01-2010, 02:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer
I myself have a gsxr 1100 with an R1 tail. Ive used the R1 subframe by welding some plates to the frame for the subframe to bolt onto.

Seifer,

Was there much else involved in fitting the R1 tail? How different was the width of the subrame where it mounts? Looking at doing the same on my 1990 GSXR1100, but I was thinking of using an R6 tail, as it bolts on, rather than being welded like the earlier R1 units.

Thanks
Shane

Seifer
16-01-2010, 05:25 PM
No not too much effort, as I said I got Ben to weld two mounts to the frame so it could bolt up.
Check my thread for what im talking about. It lined up fine. Look for lucky's gixxer for tips on how to do it as a direct bolt up.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13893

ACTAngler
16-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for that, looks good.