PDA

View Full Version : blown rectifier

20-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi,i have a 1992 fireblade streetfighter(used to be fighter mc`s)
I got if rewired and put a new rectifier battery and alternator into it.On my way home it fried the battery and rectifier.the battery is reading 19 voits on the multimeter,without starting the bike with the ignition on.Could someone please help as i feel like burning it.1 other thing, i put a new tailpeice on it and moved the rectifier.It wasnt bolted directly to the subframe but to a peice of metal and then to the frame.Im wondering if the rectifier could have overheated and blown.......any help would be most appreciated......thanks in advance..........

Greeny
20-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I had this happen to me as well.
What brand Regulator did you buy?
Apparently there was a dodgy batch of the MCA ones getting around a while ago. Depending where you bought yours from it could be old stock. I took mine back and got a refund.

I ended up getting a Honda one. Honda have upgraded there as well, it now has heat fins on it.

There is also this white heat transfer paste that they are meant to give you as well.
Did you use it?
Here is a real handy tutorial to diagnose the charging system. Give it a try to see if there is a fault with the staotr or the wiring loom, or if you where just unlucky a bought a dicky reg
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

20-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi,i got a genuine honda rectifier with the fins and it worked fine for 6weeks.I never heard of the paste.i must try that thanks.....

FIGHTERMC
21-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Griff forgot to mention that the reason that he got
the work done to it in the first place was that it
had blown a couple of rectifier in the past.not sure
whats wrong but any help would be great.
rgds
mc

alfiestorm
21-12-2006, 05:55 AM
Might be of some use a mate of mine has a fireblade one of the first one out. Five years a go it started fuckin about not charging then charging again and burnt out a couple rectifiers and a couple of fried battery's but the problem could not be found as everything checked out ok that is until he was 80 miles from home and had a total electrical meltdown all of the bulbs were blown except high beam and the indicators the rectifier was dead and the stator windings were shagged aswell and the battery.
All the fucked items were replace with stuff from the breakers with the exception or the alternator windings a new aftermarket one was sourced and fitted and he has had no problems at all since.
There might be some info in there that may help good luck
Alf
ps
I'm thinking it is probably an alternator/stator problem that causing everthing else to fuck about

21-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks alf.I just realised that i put a 2nd hand alternator into the bike that i got on ebay.The output measured fine on the connection to the rectifier,but im seeing a pattern of blown batteries and rectifiers.I will replace it with a new 1.Thanks again...