PDA

View Full Version : Acewell 3963 - Wiring Help

Disturbed_Dave
10-01-2010, 02:58 PM
This will most likely be a never-ending thread, as wiring the speedo up is a stretch of my knowledge.

I'm wiring it up to a '00 ZX6R.

First question of the day: Is there any way of wiring these up to the original speed sensor? (senses from the engine sprocket), or do I need to mount the new sensor?

Second: Temp sensor. My current one uses one wire, and earths where it bolts in. New one comes with 2 wires, Temp+ and Temp-. Reason for not wanting to use the new one, is the thread size is different, and will not bolt on without re-threading. If i use an earth wire, would this work the same?

This thread will really bring out my newbie-ism.

BANDITROD
10-01-2010, 03:08 PM
to answer your first question i am pretty sure you will need to use the sensor provided with the kit mate

Disturbed_Dave
10-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Thought that might be the case... I'm not going to bother with the existing magnets, but locate a rare earth one, as I've heard the acewell ones aren't THAT strong. Now i've gotta knock up a bracket for the sensor..

BANDITROD
10-01-2010, 03:26 PM
i have never heard of anyone having troubles with the acewell magnets before mate as long as you follow the instructions it will be fine

sharky
10-01-2010, 03:44 PM
quote:i have never heard of anyone having troubles with the acewell magnets before mate as long as you follow the instructions it will be fine
What he said....been running one for 3 years and no problems.

Disturbed_Dave
10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
hmmmm okay. i've heard that on some applications its not strong enough... but i suppose they may have simply mounted the sensor too far from them. sharky, where have you mounted yours? im thinking front wheel, but unsure of the best way to mount the sensor.

Any pics? :D

sharky
10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Mine is on the back wheel, on a bracket on the underside of the swingarm.
It can be adjusted (for chain adjustment) and the wire is hidden easier than on the front end.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM
For the record, been running mine for 3 years mounted on front disc. it's important to mount the sensor properly for correct reading. I managed to shear the head off the magnet while mounting it on the disc. It has been held on with areldite for over a year now with no problems.

Disturbed_Dave
11-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Curious as to how you mounted the sensor to the front Bandit? I've got an idea, but its not ideal.

Disturbed_Dave
11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
And has anyone got any idea about the temp sensor? Thinking the only other way is to get a new thread drilled, trying to avoid that.

jeffs3
11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Disturbed_Dave

This will most likely be a never-ending thread, as wiring the speedo up is a stretch of my knowledge.

I'm wiring it up to a '00 ZX6R.

First question of the day: Is there any way of wiring these up to the original speed sensor? (senses from the engine sprocket), or do I need to mount the new sensor?

If the connector on the back of your original speedo is the same as the Acewell ACE-S2, then you can piggyback onto the original speed sensor and plug into the Acewell.

quote:Second: Temp sensor. My current one uses one wire, and earths where it bolts in. New one comes with 2 wires, Temp+ and Temp-. Reason for not wanting to use the new one, is the thread size is different, and will not bolt on without re-threading.

2 options for you:
1. See if one of the different size Acewell temp sensors (ACE-TESH, ACE-TESS, ACE-TESY) fits the ZX-6.
2. Use one of the Acewell Water temp adaptors, such as the ACE-KA22. Just figure out your radiator hose size, install the water temp adaptor inline, and screw the temp sensor into the adaptor.

Hillsy
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by jeffs3
[br
If the connector on the back of your original speedo is the same as the Acewell ACE-S2, then you can piggyback onto the original speed sensor and plug into the Acewell.

Not sure what you mean here (unless your thinking of a cable operated speedo??) - the ZX6/9 has an electronic speedo with the pick-up on the sprocket cover. You can't use the Kawa sensor because the signal is the wrong polarity for the Acewell.

Here's a few links for sensor mounting ideas:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12177&SearchTerms=acewell

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9691&SearchTerms=acewell

Disturbed_Dave
11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Ahhh, top bloke Hillsy! Cheers bud.

Now to work out if there's a different temp sensor for the ZX6, or like jeff said, get an inline one. Don't suppose anyone knows what thread the ZX6 uses? :S Couldnt seem to find it in the manual.

jeffs3
11-01-2010, 04:36 PM
quote:Not sure what you mean here (unless your thinking of a cable operated speedo??)

Yeah, the ACE-S2 will only work with a mechanical cable driven speedo. Connecting an ACE-S2 to the original speedo cable makes for a clean install, but wont work on an electric speedo cable.

For bikes with a mechanical speedo cable, you can use an ACE-S2 to connect to the original speedo cable. The ACE-S2 was developed for the Japanese market where they are required to leave the original speedo connected.

Disturbed_Dave
11-01-2010, 09:05 PM
hmmmm that would've been a lot easier. But unfortunately mine IS electronic. grabbing some loctite/aryldite tomorrow, get this magnet on, then work out the best way to mount it.

davio
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
dave ,dont make the mistake i did ,that thread on the magnet is brass so be careful when u do it up its weak as piss
ps i have a spare 1 here if u did itn already

Disturbed_Dave
12-01-2010, 07:24 PM
davio, i'm actually thinking of cutting the thread off, and gluing just the magnet onto the disc, with hopes that it will hold :)

Disturbed_Dave
13-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Okay, hopefully my last post on this thread requesting help.
Speedo mounted + magnet glued to disk.
Getting the Temp Sensor thread in the back of the black re-tapped shortly.

One thing that isn't working; the high beam indicator. Trivial, I know, but as far as a roadworthy goes if i ever get put through the police bay, I'm going to need it.

Acewell wiring diagram:
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1263424094.jpg

Bike wiring diagram:
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1263394060.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1263429775.jpg

I have wired the Green on the lower Acewell plug, up to the R/BK (Red + Black) wire on the bike (this wire gets 12v when high beams are on, and nothing when they are off (you'd think its the right wire, right?))

Now the high beams work, there is just no high beam indicator light, so it's not the relay. Now i know its hard to diagnose without knowing where all the other wires are going, but does anyone have any ideas? I'm sure I had it working when i first started wiring up, but now that everything is wired, i've lost it. I'm hoping one of the electrical know-it-all's on here might be able to point out where these two looms might clash.

Disturbed_Dave
13-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Okay, one problem with the temp sensor. Didn't retap it to the right size, but at the recommendation of Ben, I screwed it in, rethreading it as I went. (copper thread on new fitting, into an alloy block). managed to get it most of the way in, got a bit worried i must snap the head off the fitting, so i left it there. Pressure tested, doesn't leak.

Ran the bike until it reached a high enough temp to switch on the fan. It is set to 115deg, however it switched on when the gauges said 95, seems the temp is out. Could it be because it isn't all the way in, or is there something else amiss?

EXBEN
13-01-2010, 08:33 PM
fan switch & temp sensor are located in diferent spots on the bike, how long did you run it for ? Heat soak can make a diference, also 115 deg seems a bit high for fans to turn on is it a stock switch ( if so what bike?) or can you manually adjust it ?

EXBEN
13-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I just re read your last post, do you mean you set the high temp setting on the dash to 115 degrees ? If this is the case then this has nothing to do with when the fan comes on they are different circuits. It's just a high temp warning on the dash.

Disturbed_Dave
13-01-2010, 08:43 PM
I ran it for about 10-15 mins while i worked on a couple of other things. Good point actually, just ran through the manual, should be on between 95-100deg.
Could it be that the old sensor was faulty? Seems to be that way. Only real test is to test it in a hot cup of water, with a thermometer... But i dont like the idea of pulling the sensor out again.

Hillsy
13-01-2010, 09:13 PM

..................One thing that isn't working; the high beam indicator.........

I have wired the Green on the lower Acewell plug, up to the R/BK (Red + Black) wire on the bike (this wire gets 12v when high beams are on, and nothing when they are off (you'd think its the right wire, right?))

Now the high beams work, there is just no high beam indicator light, so it's not the relay. Now i know its hard to diagnose without knowing where all the other wires are going, but does anyone have any ideas?

Looks like the R/BK to Green is correct, but have you got the black wire from that connector grounded? Looks like there are 3 grounds for the unit in total. Does the left indicator idiot light work? (it's grounded in that connector group as well)

Disturbed_Dave
13-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah I had a look at that Hillsy, and the LH indicator works... that's what has me dumbfounded.

And Ben, I was mistaken that the bike FAN-ON setting was 115deg, but in my last post, i corrected myself, it's supposed to turn on at 95deg. (on the original gauge, it was coming on at about 115deg). Which leads me to believe, perhaps the old temp sensor was faulty, showing 115 when it was really 95.

Disturbed_Dave
14-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Further thought on the highbeam indicator light: Could it be possible that the LED has blown? Considering the wire gets 12v when the high beams are swtiched on, it must be in the unit. Doesn't make much sense, as i only ever wired it up the one way.

Ben, haven't checked if these are servicable yet (to replace the LED's), if not, is it possible to get just the one side of the dummy lights?

Hillsy
14-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Further thought on the highbeam indicator light: Could it be possible that the LED has blown? Considering the wire gets 12v when the high beams are swtiched on, it must be in the unit. Doesn't make much sense, as i only ever wired it up the one way.

Try putting your bike's high beam wire on the indicator lead (brown wire on Acewell). If it lights up, then I'd say your high beam indicator light is blown.

Disturbed_Dave
14-01-2010, 04:51 PM
yeahhhhhhh its broke :(

Will pull it apart later, see if its as simple as replacing the LED (doubt it)

EXBEN
14-01-2010, 07:09 PM
It's very unlikely it's the led. Double check your wiring. A good check is to connect the earth on that led bank straight to the - battery & the High beam indicator wire straight to the battery + . this will tell you for sure if it's the led or not. They are a sealed unit & are not rebuildable.

Disturbed_Dave
14-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah the LED (or something else), is definitely gone.

I have sent an email to Acewell, as I didn't want to bother you with it, so hopefully their reputation proves true, and they are able to help me out. At least this isn't going to stop me from taking the bike out, once i get the seats back that is.