PDA

View Full Version : polishing "slabbie"frame

jzgsxr
20-12-2006, 07:37 PM
I saw a forum on here somewhere that has good advice on polishing the alloy frame of a gsxr , but i can't find it, can someone point me in the right direction, it seems to be a pretty popular topic

:D

Gix11
20-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Mate, if in doubt, try the HOW TO section of the website: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/ASF_HT_polish.asp

jzgsxr
21-12-2006, 09:38 AM
cheers mate, i knew i had seen it somewhere :)

Foxy
21-12-2006, 03:31 PM
I'll add onto that How To thread if I could, cause it will save you some time (I'm lazy and like things done fast).

PS I use this technique so I know it works.

Step 1:- Go to coles and get yourself some East Off oven cleaner

Step 2:- Mask off any parts that you don't want to polish, and spray frame, Leave until the alloy turns black. (This is a quick way to remove the anodising)

Step 3:- Wipe off with soapy water, make sure you get it all off. When you see the result you will probably shit yourself it does go a little patchy in places but dont stress, you've just saved yourself about three hours of sanding.

Step 4:- Start with 400 DRY paper, especially on older frames where there will be a lot of pitting and deep scratches (if you start with 1200 wet you can add about 10 hours to the job). Lightly sand over with a palm sander/orbital (when I say lightly I mean let the paper do the work, don't force the sander) Make sure you get all deep scratches out if you don't this procces will have to be repeated over and over again until you do.

Step 5:- as per OZKAT's post.

Step 6:- To get a true mirror finish, finish of with a polishing wheel and (I use) josco white wax compound. And a bit of autosol which is a whole other post on how to polish VERY quickly using autosol!!! I will put up picks when I get around to doing my 750 frame.

Sounds like a lot but it isn't really. If the frame has no imperfections/machine marks in it you can actually go straight from Step 3 to 6 (I did this before I started sanding and it came up trumps but for the machine lines).

Hope this helps you a little more.

Gix11
21-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Cheers Foxy. Added to HOW TO.