PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Want to make alloy Rad hoses.

Stocky
19-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Can anyone help me out ?

I want to make custom radiator hoses for a GSXR1000.

I want alloy tube instead of the rubber hose.

I'd join it at each end with a short bit of silicone hose.

My problem is bending the tube. I need at least 2 bends of 90 degrees done and without crushing the tube.

I'm sure it can be done if you know what you are doing

Any ideas ?

A bit like this......

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/81232589744558.JPG

zx12argh
19-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Fill the pipe with sand - plug the ends of the pipe then stick it in your pipe bender.
Or pay an exhaust shop a few buck to mandrel bend em'.

Matt
19-12-2006, 12:46 PM
what he said...

Kamakazebusa
19-12-2006, 03:29 PM
or buy stainless conveluted (however u bloody spell it)if u can find it, and bend them any which way.......check JUDGE's engine out and u'll see wat i mean....

Booster
19-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Seen some nice billet ends for those water pumps.
ok found it,NLR racing in the USA, if you know someone with a mill it shouldn't be too hard to replicate. i have nearly finished one for my intercooler(cracked the original)

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/812326161195770.jpeg

The guy who owns this welded an fittings on his radiator for a similar look throughout.

Quan-Time
19-12-2006, 05:43 PM
yer i can make somethin like that without too much of a drama. ill need a sample / test piece to make sure i get it right. else tell me the year, ill hook up with a mate, im sure we can source a stock one, ill just replicate it if needed / wanted..

Ill tell you now tho, my trx is priority.. Ive found some issues im workin thru. But should be runnin asap i would hope..

fimpBIKES
19-12-2006, 09:04 PM
buy bent bits of stainless and weld em up to the right shape

(what i plan to do eventually, for now i have just used rubber bends and straight bits off ally tube to get the right shape ;))

Stocky
19-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Quan-Time

I'm after the 2 main hoses for a 2002 model GSXR1000 in alloy.

A copy of the stock ones would be perfect.

Large
19-12-2006, 09:22 PM
How much pressure do they need to hold?

One of those cheap alloy foldout directors chairs from kmart?

19-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Get some rubber ones and paint'em with 'Mexican Chrome' paint?

:D

Jockney Rebel
19-12-2006, 11:01 PM
right mr pirtek to the rescue...................................
stainless convuluted hose you can use but it causes cavitation in the tube [it makes your oil into foam when the flow rate gets high]
or u can bend alloy tube with a bending spring
or u can use teflon s/s braided hoses
use copper and spray it
depends why you want the pipe in ally
weight ?
looks ?
durability?

Kamakazebusa
20-12-2006, 05:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

stainless convuluted hose you can use but it causes cavitation in the tube [it makes your oil into foam when the flow rate gets high]
use copper and spray it
weight ?
looks ?
durability?

I didn't know that the convuluted s/s tube caused foaming.....this kinda of sucks[V].....as i was thinking of using it. Wats ur suggestion Frankenbiker??????

Stocky
20-12-2006, 06:14 AM
weight ?
looks ?
durability?

Yep , all of the above.

I'll try Pirtek

Jockney Rebel
20-12-2006, 03:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Kamakazebusa

use copper and spray it
weight ?
looks ?
durability?

I didn't know that the convuluted s/s tube caused foaming.....this kinda of sucks[V].....as i was thinking of using it. Wats ur suggestion Frankenbiker??????
teflons the best if u want s/s on the outside it lasts the longest but u gotta watch heat with it ,it will transfer heat thru the braid and melt the teflon ill post some hose specs on the forum later
i was thinking of a combo with some ally air con fittings but im still investigating that,
as for ally pipe its also a contender but a bitch to work with , unfortunately convoluted hose is really designed for steam or gases

Jockney Rebel
20-12-2006, 03:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stocky

weight ?
looks ?
durability?

Yep , all of the above.

I'll try Pirtek
yeah give ur local branch a go mate they are some really knowledgable ppl work for us specially if u get one whos a bit of a petrol head:D and not forgeting the vibration and movement
because pressures not an issue, u want a hose /pipe thatll deal with high ambient heat and a heated medium of upto 120deg max with maybe a constant of 80deg

Gix11
20-12-2006, 04:34 PM

weight ?
looks ?
durability?

Knowing Stocky now, it will be weight without a doubt! Get the scales ready mate....

Quan-Time
20-12-2006, 05:10 PM
as for too much turbulance in hoses.. putting air bubbles into liquids.. its called cavitation.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation for a reference.

As for the speed you would need to induce this is HUGE and not something that you would ever need to worry about on a bike / car in my opinion.

fimpBIKES
20-12-2006, 05:32 PM
page 22 mate
http://www.midwaymetals.com.au/brochure.htm

easiest way to do it ;)

Jockney Rebel
20-12-2006, 09:02 PM
"lthough the collapse of cavities is a relatively low energy event, it is highly localised and can even erode metals such as steel. The pitting caused by the collapse of cavities produces great wear on components and can dramatically shorten a propeller or pump's lifetime." 1
Fluid dynamics 101

[ like i said convoluted hose is primarily designed for gases ,i work with these eveyday ]
I refer u to WomacksFluid Power data book :
as for flow..gpm is proportional to rpm of the pump once you have used the formula for capacity
ie 47 x W x [2D - L]x[L - D]over 2 so. having worked out how much ur pump is pushing u can then work out how fast the oil is travelling using this equation:

V=GPM X 0.3208 divided by bore of the pipe
bearing in mind that.......
the maximum recomended oil velocity of a suction line [ie below 500psi] is between 2 and 4 fps[feet per second] any more than this causes cavitation in smooth bore pipes! because oil has a love affair with the inside walls of ur hose.therefore a convoluted pipe is gonna be worse
because...wait for it.. its ribbed [for her pleasure ]

and...
i do believe every internal combustion engine employs a lubrication pump
and[correct me if im wrong] that the majority are gear driven pumps given this to be true then the above equations are relevant
its not just cavatation that ribbed pipes cause when liquids under pressure are put through them there is also turbulance
so u consequently need more pumping power to deliver the same amount of oil ie [wasting hp]
for example as im sure we all know a 4 stroke engine uses a degree of its hp to turn its self over which is why 2 strokes were initially used as GP bikes any savings in this dept pay dividends ..which is why we use superior oils,close tolerances,Lighter materials and so forth [and why I like strokes so much}
I did my apprenticeship at Fords R&D Dept Laindon Essex in 1978{ the factory that gave the world the RS Cosworth Sierra]
and have been working with Hydraulics ever since

Right Il shut up now sorry

by theway Fimps right much easier than fekin about with all this physics :]

fimpBIKES
20-12-2006, 09:15 PM
yes, but is you just increase your diameter of the pipe than u can avoid all that shit and just worry about the flow away from the walls

shouldnt worry your pump too much, and like someone said above
the velocities arent that high

sooner or later any tube with a fluid through it will achieve laminar flow, its just a smooth bore will do it sooner (in relation to the inside edge towards the centre of the tube) than something with rough edges

sorry, i have drunk a whole bottle of red over dinner.... :D

fimpBIKES
20-12-2006, 09:18 PM
oh, and the title of the thread
"HELP- Want to make alloy Rad Hoses"

means that my recommendation of stainless hoses is incredibly valid
as it is more of an alloy than aluminium tubing

oh dear, a few more sips and i think i will start talking about sandpaper tyres and rubber roads!!!! (and yes large, i STILL think that its a great ideal. fuck what rexie says i think your a fucking innovator!!!!)

Jockney Rebel
20-12-2006, 11:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

yes, but is you just increase your diameter of the pipe than u can avoid all that shit and just worry about the flow away from the walls

shouldnt worry your pump too much, and like someone said above
the velocities arent that high

sooner or later any tube with a fluid through it will achieve laminar flow, its just a smooth bore will do it sooner (in relation to the inside edge towards the centre of the tube) than something with rough edges

sorry, i have drunk a whole bottle of red over dinner.... :D
yeah ive overcome my bout of verbal diarreah...:D

Jockney Rebel
20-12-2006, 11:37 PM
and it would help if i learned to spell

fimpBIKES
21-12-2006, 12:04 AM
haho, uuu cunt speel fore shat!!!

fimpBIKES
21-12-2006, 12:06 AM
woohoo its dry outside now!!!

gonna run out and fit my 1200 grit slicks :D

Stocky
21-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Go fimp

Thanks guys, the Pirtek guys were not interested.

Went to a sheet metal place that's into motorsport and they took the stock hoses and the alloy tube and said they'd have a go at it.

They'll be done today either way.

Fingers crossed.

Oh and it's not all about weight, I want to mount a temp sender in one of them LOL

Don't worry the scales were never away , so they don't have to come back out LOL

Booster
21-12-2006, 06:43 AM
If that doesn't work as well as you would like i can get temp fittings for inline alloy or plastic, the temp sender gets in the way of the turbo up pipe and needs relocating
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/156483724155679.jpg

Jockney Rebel
21-12-2006, 05:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stocky

Go fimp

Thanks guys, the Pirtek guys were not interested.

Went to a sheet metal place that's into motorsport and they took the stock hoses and the alloy tube and said they'd have a go at it.

They'll be done today either way.

Fingers crossed.

Oh and it's not all about weight, I want to mount a temp sender in one of them LOL

Don't worry the scales were never away , so they don't have to come back out LOL
stocky sorry bout that m8 if itd bin me id ve done it:(..lazy twats :D

Stocky
22-12-2006, 06:02 AM
DONE !

Just got to find the right guy.

It wasn't cheap but it's exactly what I wanted.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/36545875368293.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/36545875384592.JPG

Booster
22-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Looks Good :)

Gix11
22-12-2006, 10:53 AM
That looks great Stocky.

fimpBIKES
22-12-2006, 05:53 PM
how much?

looks great!

Jockney Rebel
22-12-2006, 09:10 PM
looks well clean

Stocky
23-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Not cheap.

The tube was cheap, about $10

Bending it was not - $65

The silicone hose is the really trick stuff and it was $90

So $200 radiator hoses might put a few people off LOL

Great look for a street fighter though. Shame it'll have a fairing on it.

Kamakazebusa
23-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Awesome job Stocky, it all comes down to how u want it too look and can afford.......
Fcuk , if ppl knew how much i spent on my hoses they ave a heartattack.

Kamakazebusa
23-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Ohh, thanks Frankenbiker for the inside tip, very interesting reading.......we do have such a talented bunch on here.......:)

Imagine if we all pooled our resourses together, we could biuld the ultimate fighter....as long as it was a Suzuki.....:)

23-12-2006, 09:45 AM

Ohh, thanks Frankenbiker for the inside tip, very interesting reading.......we do have such a talented bunch on here.......:)

Imagine if we all pooled our resourses together, we could biuld the ultimate fighter....as long as it was a Suzuki.....:)

I thought you said ultimate streetfighter?

Where'd the s***** word come from then?

fimpBIKES
23-12-2006, 10:24 AM
thats a pretty decent price

the flexy shit cost way more!

23-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Shoulda boughta kwaka

Mine comes with them standard.

Kamakazebusa
24-12-2006, 08:41 AM
U trying to be funny again Chalky.......

Jockney Rebel
01-01-2007, 10:18 PM

i get mine for .......the cheep cheep price of .....fuck all:Dbut..my bike has very few anyway[V]