PDA

View Full Version : Repairable right offs

damo1
24-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Right got a question for those who have been there done this before.

I purchased a VTR250 as a repairable right off, off a wreaker and picked it up today.

It ended in a bit of a shit fight cause i expected something different to the end result that ocured.

Anyway to cut a long story short it goes like this.

We agreed to a price,

I was told that cause it was a repairable right off it had to go over some special check at the RTA to prove it had been repaired properly.

No dramas i thought, thinking that it would have to be repaired properly.

I went to pick it up being told over the phone its all sweet and all regoed and finished.

I get there and the only thing that they had done was replace the tail light, 2 foot pegs , 2 indicators.

To my surprise the side of the tank and duc tail where still damaged and it's got slight grazing to the frame( meaning it was damaged also) bent bars, grazed clutch leaver-mirror-foot peg carrier-dash and numerous other bits and peices?????

Now alot of what i'm talking about i dont care about cause i sort of expected it but.??????

My thoughts were you had to show that the bike had been repaired and have photos and proof that the work had been carried out to bring it back to a road worthy state before it could be re-regoed??

Am i right in thinking this or is this something that is the norm when repairing rightoffs????

Cause if it's just a matter of the lights working and thats it whats the point of making them down as repairable right offs in the first place.

They should just call them
"the lights are fucked, fix it and you'll be sweet offs"

Cause in my eyes the system of this sort of shit screams "get ripped off by some lebo cunt cause we dont give a fuck"

I thought the whole idea of the stat right off and the repairable right off was to stop this sort of shit as well as rebirthing.??

Love to hear what your thoughts are on this one.

sharky
24-12-2009, 03:27 PM
If it was truly a 'repairable write' as decleared by an insurance company it would have to pass a thorough inspection by the relevant authority. It would have to be 100% legit roadworthy to pass.

I suspect that it may have been classed as repairable by the wrecker but not on the register as such ie some one crashed it whilst uninsured and sold it to the wrecker.

Get the VIN no. and do a check...If its still on the record as a repairable write off go after the wrecker....

damo1
24-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I was told that it was bought from an insurance company as a repairable right off.

How do you do the check?

Is it just a revs check??

Zbike
24-12-2009, 04:10 PM
geez mate too busy to got to auction urself or something, what ever u paid for it you would have got it for half the price at action or 1500 cheaper.
The RTA or its equivalant has records of why every bike has been written of, when it goes to the VIV they check that those parts have either been replaced (must provide sales recipts) or repaired (MUST PROVIDE RECIEPTS). Places in VIC will also check for dogie repairs. SA and NSW are less stringnet. Now if u get a really picky bastered he can fail you for not having a recipt for every blinker,
These checks are to check for stolen parts not really for roadworthies / blueslips, Ive never had them knock me back on roadworthy but it probaly can happen even if your dogy mechanic passes it.

80s freak
25-12-2009, 09:05 AM
They would never get away with that in vic. So much so that we no longer buy repairables from the auctions. To much bullshit to deal with inspection stations now. They are now talking about bikes having to be completely standard on inspection, so there goes a cheaper streetfighter build.

miniman1
25-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Depends how much damage there actually is to the tank etc......

Most repairable write-offs have only been 'written off' coz it would've cost the insurance company more to fix it than the bike was worth to pay out.

To prove to RTA in nsw, u need to show reciepts etc to prove that parts were replaced and if the damaged parts arent dangerous in any way, u should be sweet.

Cruisecontrol
26-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes, you have to prove that the vehicle has been repaired.
Before and after photos make it a lot easier.

I bought my bike as a write off and got it back on the road no worries. Firstly it needed to get a blue slip inspection to make sure it was roadworthy, then it needed a special RTA inspection so they could check that the repairs were carried out, not to ensure its roadworthiness. That is where the photos come in handy and also where they stamp all of your receipts for parts to verify that you bought them and so that they cannot be used again.

grindella
26-12-2009, 09:59 AM
In NSW you just need it to pass a blue slip

Large
26-12-2009, 12:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by grindella

In NSW you just need it to pass a blue slip

errr no.

If a vehicle is on the WOVR it will need to be inspected at the cost of about $450 by the RTA after you have got a blue slip.

If you live far enough away from Sydenee, the local cop can inspect it for nix but

miniman1
26-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Only repairable write up to 10 years old need to be RTA inspected....
That new charge for it is bullshit tho, when i got my busa on the road 2 years ago, the inspection was free!!

Zbike
26-12-2009, 01:44 PM
hey large i was looking into that.
How far is far enough bush. From Sydney that is.

grindella
26-12-2009, 09:20 PM
If a vehicle is on the WOVR and what exactly does WOVR stand for and how do you know if the bike is on WOVR?

Large
26-12-2009, 09:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Zbike

hey large i was looking into that.
How far is far enough bush. From Sydney that is.

Don't know. Maybe ring the RTA and say you're ringing from Newcastle?

Large
26-12-2009, 09:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by grindella

If a vehicle is on the WOVR and what exactly does WOVR stand for and how do you know if the bike is on WOVR?

Written Off Vehicle Register.

Ring The RTA. It appears that you can register with the RTA to access the data, but you may have to be a dealer?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/myrta/wovr.html

el sammo
02-01-2010, 06:49 PM
my only experiences ahve been in QLD, where ive bought bikes from auction as repairable write offs, all cosmetic damage, keep all the receipts for whatever parts you buy to repair it. go and get a roadworthy inspection then once you have that you go and get the VIV inspection, the inspectors can either be cool or total cunts depending on the day.

then you can go and register youre bike and all is well, when youre looking at bikes on auction day write down a rough estimate of repair costs and factor the VIV inspection, roadworthy and rego into this also.

some bikes (especially harleys and dirt bikes) often sell at auction and the total cost once you get them on the road is more than a same condition bike would have cost to buy privately!!!! make sure you check it out before you buy and try not to get caught up in the bidding wars and pay too much!!