PDA

View Full Version : question for racers/track junkies

yoda
19-12-2009, 09:25 PM
trying to find somewhere to help with my setup before i get to a track- ie what gearing etc etc. Want to save myself some hassle when i show up to a ride day/race and have a bit more of a setup idea in my head.
is there a racing forum somewhere that is worth a look(google searched but didnt find much)?

cheers heaps!

devo
19-12-2009, 10:22 PM
www.postclassicracing.com.au then just click on links
Oh and what are you racing and where ????? gearing is different on all types of bikes. 2 stroke or four stroke.
lotsa factors to play with Yoda
General rule of thumb with gearing to a track is getting into top gear by the end of the straight
I have been racing for around 20 years on and off . you can get a ballpark figure from someone but remember what they have done and what you have done to your bike is what will make the difference.
First thing is get some good braking and chassis happening with a bike that is basic and work from there .
Learn to walk before you try and run you know what i'm sayin

damo1
20-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Depends what your riding??

StuNVA
20-12-2009, 10:54 AM
http://nswroadandtrackbikes.com/forums/cmps_index.php

dave_isbald
20-12-2009, 02:37 PM
To start off with I wouldn't worry too much about set up if its the first time down there.

Maybe drop the front and raise the arse a little to stop you running as wide if you're not used to those cornering speeds but aside from that just get out and learn. Get some braided lines so your brakes aren't spongy. Those things help you to shit yourself a little less which in turn helps you to focus on set up of you and the bike.

They have suspension guys out there now who are great for setting you up based upon your weight and your ride - costs about $70 and they'll tweak it all day for you based upon your feedback.

I'm no Mick Doohan but I reckon it takes me 2 or 3 days out before I even work out if there's something I could probably be doing better. Then I have to work out what the fuck it is

Of course if you're a racing already, ignore the above and let me know when you go - I need the tutoring

yoda
20-12-2009, 05:03 PM
sorry, should've added more info!
racing supersport, on a zx6(pics in my ride).
just after ballpark fugures, somewhere to start my setup from.
bike is all sorted for my weight etc, just wanting some idea so i dont have as much to do at the racetrack when i get there.

Going to be down at the island on jan 4th for a play.

DCRacing
21-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Dave and Devo are pretty much on the money, the only other bloke who would have a bit more maybe would be Deano, he has played around there a fair bit..... i think

Deano
21-12-2009, 04:42 PM
if you gear the bike for about 250kph max speed (stock gearing often works best at the island) but all these things change depending how fast or slow you are going. stock gearing could be to tall if you are doing 2.10min laps as you will be exiting the corner to low in the rpm and wanting that inbetween gear.

when gearing when at the track you want good corner exit gearing more than top speed cause you have 12 corners and only 1 straight so if you gear to tall and are wanting to get to 300 down th shute then you may find that you are slow coming out of the corners. like i said without knowing were you are at now you have no benchmark to work from so until you have a starting point there is no need to worry about the end point just yet.

if it is your first time at the island then just put stock gearing on and have a go. will take you at least 2 sessions to work out the track and the rest of your life mastering it.

don't put to much pressure on yourself first time out, i will be racing in the same catergry as you if you are doing the interclub calender.

make sure you have good rubber. i don't use secondhand tyres anymore and don't reccomend anyone does. go for medium on the back and soft on the front. you can use slicks if you are only doing club racing. if you are doing national then dot tyres are needed.

good luck

yoda
21-12-2009, 06:04 PM
cheers deano, planning on doing hartwell, interclub and maybe vics. depends how i go, and the money thing!

Deano
21-12-2009, 06:14 PM
thats a lot of racing.

the hartwell from what i understand is a lot of waiting around. i have never done it but apparently you qualify on friday 2 races on saturday and 2 on sunday.

yoda
22-12-2009, 04:50 AM
id say vics wont happen this year, maybe not all the interclub rounds too, gotta fit around work and stuff.

what club are you with?

Deano
22-12-2009, 05:52 AM
newport braybrook

The Mad One
22-12-2009, 06:52 PM
[8D]:D Yoda good to see another racer is born [^] Devo & Deano offer sound advice,I shall not try to improve upon their delivery [:o)] If you have a dirt bike [?] try riding it as much as possible(standing up) X-Mas is no time to go anywhere near our road system.What this does is makes you steer with the back wheel.Ride as fast as you can ;)The black science of getting it right is of no importance just yet.Learn(as I just did this year)the tracks ;) Dont place pressure on yaself & try to eat well.
PI is a place when you have seen it pit side,one walks taller.
I`ll be on for the club challenge in 2010 with 'big mumma'
Have a good X-mas & see ya track side ;)

yoda
22-12-2009, 09:07 PM
cheers mate, riding as fast as i can is the plan..
used to race mx and sx, and still ride trials, so no stranger to the racing side of things.
just wish xmas and nye would piss off so i can get riding!!

The Mad One
23-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Yup worst time of year [}:)][8] complete F[:o)]ckwits running around trying to compress time [8)]
Speaking of time,....'racing is everything,anything else.you are just waiting'.......S McQeen.....[8D]

old gsxrr
24-12-2009, 01:54 PM
my brother went around to different parts of the track and watched the line, braking points etc of the pro's when he used to race at surfers and lakeside - cut heaps of time