PDA

View Full Version : vfr s/sider into cbr fitment advice wanted

Phill
16-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Just made a deal for a vfr 800 single sider that i want to fit into me old bike, a cbr 1000 f.( cause I own it OK!)
Ive seen some pics from a guy in the states but I need some more info. basically, do i need to set the pivots and shock angles up exactly as they are in the vfr or as they are in the current set up?
I already know I have to mod the frame to accomodate the shock size but as to where to put the top mount im not so sure off.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Phill

Jockney Rebel
17-12-2006, 11:34 PM
u got it then ...good going
u about this week?

Scrapyard
20-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Well, I'll say this. You got some work ahead of you. Firstly, What year 1000F? 95-96 Model? The 800 arm was originaly ment to bolt around the back of the engine. Like the 929, 954 arm. So you'll have this big space at the pivot. First thing you'll need to do is fab up something to fill that gap so the arm is rigid at that point. Also, I belive the shock on the 800 was offset to the left like the vfr750 and 900rr shock. First thing I would do is get the wheel centered and set your chain line. Then use the 800 shock and redo the uper shock mount on the frame to suite. Nice part is the frame is steel so that'll make life a little easier on you. Good luck with it bud. Be interested to see it come together.

Phill
20-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey Scrapyard,
Try an '89! cost me f/all so it owes me nuthing!
Have seen pics on another forum of what i want to do but cant contact the owner so got nothing to go of but ideas in my head.
what I am concerned with is the geometry of the pivots as to how much it will upset the handling. right now it handles well enough for a heavy bike and holds its own ( up to my riding ability anyway!) so i dont want to go backwards.

Scrapyard
20-12-2006, 09:24 PM
If it was me, I would first measure the angle of your arm now. Then I would take the suspension setup from your bike and toss it in the bin. You'r gona need the shock and all the links from the VFR obviously and also have to change the dog bone mount at the frame. The VFR arm may wind up being a few inches longer then the stock arm. The 750 arm in a 900rr winds up being 3 inces longer. The VFR uses the triangle links and a single dog bone alla 900RR. If you flip the triangles backwards it will actually raise the ride hight a few mill. I did this with mine and it worked out well. The bikes should be similar in weight so adjusting the shock shouldn't be too much a problem. Once you get in there get the angle of the arm as close as possible to were it was stock. you may need to make new links to set the ride hight and what not but it should work out.

Phill
20-12-2006, 09:36 PM
let the madness begin then!
Ive a few weeks leave then time to myself to play. This should be "fun!"
must remember the camera.