PDA

View Full Version : Hill Climb

pappas
17-12-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-yFmnu0sY

Large
17-12-2009, 05:10 PM
How come the trees and grass are growing out of the hill at a funny angle?

sharky
17-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Dat's 'cos they are growing vertically....towards the light...on the side of a hill ;)

Weaselman
17-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Its real from where im sitting and if thats nice solid rock with no sand or dust on it its possable on soft road tires with an auto box and those fancy 4WD computers rangys have

Nudie
17-12-2009, 06:02 PM
If that's fair dinkum, i'm Maria Venuti

Lucas
17-12-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm with Andy. It looked like the camera was held level and the shit that these new disco's can do is pretty full on. I thought he was gonna run on down hill for a while.

Issues
17-12-2009, 07:26 PM
It looks steeper than it is going off the person standing at the bottum.

Mishdog20
17-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Damn thats steep.

boris
18-12-2009, 07:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by Nudie

If that's fair dinkum, i'm Maria Venuti

nice to meet you maria I reckon it's real alright and not that unbelievable If I knew how to put shit on here from my video camera I'd show u a landcruiser going just as steep but I'd like to see how the shitty rovers go with a few ruts and step ups thrown into the equation (and I'm sorry I know there are people on here that own rovers, but I'm an auto electrician and when you have to work on them you can't help but hate them)

DiscoDan
18-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm waving the bullshit flag, you can see on the first one how he twists the camera as the car hits the slope

suxukifreak
18-12-2009, 08:23 AM
While we are on the 4wd topic,
has anybody seen pics or video of the winch to towball trick?
A mate told me on the weekend kids run the winch cable over the roof onto the towball, start the winch and do the bolt and watch the 4wd bend itself in half.

Gix11
18-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Nah, I reckon that's real. Fucking suicidal, but real all the same. Check the weight transfer.

MuZ
18-12-2009, 09:03 AM
looking at that i'm tipping its real, those new rangies come standard with diff locks and fancy traction control, but i would like to see how it'd go somewhere with some decent ruts

sen
18-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Real or not, that's NUTS. I can understand with the pro crawlers, but for a factory car to do that.. woah.

Lucas
18-12-2009, 11:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by MuZ

looking at that i'm tipping its real, those new rangies come standard with diff locks and fancy traction control, but i would like to see how it'd go somewhere with some decent ruts

I was thinking that with the second one as he started to lift the front. If he'd dropped his rear left into a slight depression he would have been fucked. I wanna se someone try to do that in a SWB cruiser or a zook.

336LJ
18-12-2009, 12:00 PM
i wanna see someone do it on a segway

gibbo
18-12-2009, 12:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by suxukifreak

While we are on the 4wd topic,
has anybody seen pics or video of the winch to towball trick?
A mate told me on the weekend kids run the winch cable over the roof onto the towball, start the winch and do the bolt and watch the 4wd bend itself in half.

I want to see that!!!!! [}:)]

boris
18-12-2009, 02:21 PM
suxuki I have no pics but have heard of it happening and also pulling the cable out and hooking it up a tree and they put a split pin in the plug to power it up all the time and I agree with muz it may have fiff lock but they have no ground clearance so anything with a decent bump will stop it

boris
18-12-2009, 02:41 PM
and anyone that 4wd's seriously knows u don't stick ur arm out the window like that dickhead is

Nudie
18-12-2009, 05:57 PM
If that's real, the guy at the bottom of the hill must be leaning into a force 9 gale!
I have no doubt that it is a steep incline, but the angle is exagerated by the cameraperson.

Issues
18-12-2009, 06:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by MuZ

The centre diff lock is not a diff lock. Traction control is not a diff lock either. The centre diff lock stops the front to rear wheel power transfer, with the centre diff lock off you can jack one front wheel in the air and stop the vehicle moving. The traction control works by applying brakes to the wheel slipping, only realy works with limited slip diff.

Issues
18-12-2009, 06:13 PM
You can see the angle at the bottum when the disco starts and when the rangy finishes, the gradiant does not apper to change as they climb. It is not what I would call steep and is a flat surface. I would say with some air out of the tyres a turcel would drive it.

kevkatana
19-12-2009, 12:52 AM
I've had the front wheels leave the ground in my 80 series cruiser going up hill. Bloke in the front seat head butted the windscreen screaming FFFAAAARRRRRRKK!!!. And done it with a can in my hand.

Lucas
19-12-2009, 10:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by kevkatana

I've had the front wheels leave the ground in my 80 series cruiser going up hill. Bloke in the front seat head butted the windscreen screaming FFFAAAARRRRRRKK!!!. And done it with a can in my hand.

:D

JackTar
19-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Real.

BANDITROD
19-12-2009, 08:05 PM
thats clearly real anyone who knows there 4x4's knows it possible

Zbike
20-12-2009, 08:11 PM
thats game to do it with a 60,000$ rover or whatever there worth.
Also the modern rovers have adjustable syspension so they have more ground clearance than they let on whne u see them around the suburbs.

pappas
21-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Here's some photo's of my mates fourby, went up plenty of shit as steep as that vid. Is "slightly" modified though. It's now a ute with a small block Chev in it.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1261358353.jpg

Jacked up Patrol couldn't get up this rock

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1261438102.jpg

Cruiser does it easy!!

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1261416393.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1261367087.jpg

Issues
21-12-2009, 06:01 PM
pappas look at what your comparing, just the tyre size is enough to make a difference.

pappas
21-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah mate wasn't really being serious with the comparo. Just remembered I had these photo's and thought I would share.

MuZ
22-12-2009, 04:12 PM
that looks like yalwal out the back of nowra, is it?

pappas
23-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Nope. It's at Menai.

-Dex-
23-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Ah, I remember the days of bbq's at the top of Prado Hill. Awesome place Menai. Shame it's only open to clubs now, and Appins closed off for good too I hear.

old gsxrr
23-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Check this out http://www.orp.com.au/Mpegs/Storman99-0.wmv

hotmilk
24-12-2009, 08:52 PM
pappas pics reminded me of this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsxRgPWPjGw [^]

pappas
28-12-2009, 09:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by old gsxrr

Fuck yeah!

old gsxrr
02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
pretty good for what looks like a stocker huh pappas ?

336LJ
03-01-2010, 06:45 AM
okay probably a noob question.. but. what do you guys do when hittin water like that in a petrol engine, (especially a jap v8!) to make sure the plugs/leads and other shit doesnt get full of water n stop working?
I'm after a diesel luxy for this reason. So I can fill the fucking thing with water thru the windows and not have to swim out if it stalls.
Mate of mine worked ad a merc dealers and some douche tried to drive a brand new "4wd" merc thru a deep creek and filled the guts with water/ and fucked everything (hilarious) zillions of bucks worth of engine now all bent and full of water

336LJ
03-01-2010, 06:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by old gsxrr

holy SHIT thats awesome.

-Dex-
03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

okay probably a noob question.. but. what do you guys do when hittin water like that in a petrol engine, (especially a jap v8!) to make sure the plugs/leads and other shit doesnt get full of water n stop working?
I'm after a diesel luxy for this reason. So I can fill the fucking thing with water thru the windows and not have to swim out if it stalls.
Mate of mine worked ad a merc dealers and some douche tried to drive a brand new "4wd" merc thru a deep creek and filled the guts with water/ and fucked everything (hilarious) zillions of bucks worth of engine now all bent and full of water

There's a few different things you can do depending on the situation. The first thing to do if you are going to drive in water higher than the headlights is to fit a snorkel. Merc boy wouldn't have had one and water---->intake---->Cylinder---->Piston tries to compress water(which is basically impossible to compress)---->If you're lucky, just bent rods, more likely you'll be doing cams, valves, cranks, and casings too. Also known as fucking your engine.

If you are doing a water crossing the key is to maintain momentum so that the front of the vehicle creates a bow wave. This actually causes the engine and electrical components to stay relatively dry as they are in the depression behind the wave. If you stall out in the middle of a crossing and you don't have a snorkel you have to winch out, remove plugs, crank the engine till all water is expelled from cylinders, and then wait for everything to dry out before attempting to start off again. Also pays to hang the air filter out to dry (or even better swap it out)and use a towel on the airbox and ducting as much as possible.

Water bras (basically a tarp or canvas sheet draped across the front of the vehicle) are good too. Especially if you have a non-switchable thermo fan. They can act as propellers and drive the fan into the rad. I've never seen it but it can happen apparently.

A good coating of Lanolin or something similar around the dizzy, leads and plugs works wonders too. Basically, you just need to run a few preventative measures and you will be sweet 99.9% of the time. It really helps if you go out with a few experienced wheelers for the first few times so you can see how they set their shit up and different driving techniques etc.

Not sure what model lux you're looking at but the earlier diesels need a good tailwind and about 45mins to reach 60km/h. Just sayin'.

That 1UZ lux belongs to a dude named Dave. He's had it for years and it's been through a fair few changes. It's pretty fucking sweet, he's done all the work himself. He's part of the 3rd rock 4wd club in Vic. They have a website if you want to see the build up. The vid Old Gsxrr posted was from either the woodpecker challenge or Nissan trials IIRC. There's a fair few vids from both comps online if you like that sort of thing.

The latest comp that's starting to get big money thrown at it in the states is called King of the Hammers. It mixes high speed desert racing with some hardcore rock sections. They race with purpose built tube framed buggies usually running very hi-po V8s and crazy tyre/suspension combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3h89lAbzeU

Regardless of whether you're into it or not, there is some absolutely amazing engineering and design behind some of those vehicles.[8D]

boris
04-01-2010, 07:16 AM
good luck to the vehicles following that lux out of that boghole haha

336LJ
05-01-2010, 09:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by -Dex-

Not sure what model lux you're looking at but the earlier diesels need a good tailwind and about 45mins to reach 60km/h. Just sayin'.

well we are after a dual cab so I can still strap the kid in the back, something diesel, not.. TOO worried about setting any land speed records. but thinking probably around the 96-98 model 4x4 dual cab diesels. something I can actually fix, 4cyl rego, but can still hit the dirt if I feel like it and sink it up to the mirrors if the opportunity presents itself :D, something 4wd and up off the ground would be good so we don't bash the shit out of it like we do the vx just trying to get in and out our driveway! - trying to fuck the commodore off so we can get a lux - Eventually we want to do a bit of travelling out in the sticks so something that doesnt require a NASA systems analyst to "tune" would be good!
I'v got no idea what all the model prefixes mean ..LN106R.. yada yada.. the FUCK!?

-Dex-
05-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Those models you'll be looking at the 2.8 diesel. Pretty sure they can go ok with a hairdryer but again, they're not renowned for their speed. Reliable though and piss easy to work on. You can fit 35s with a 2" body lift and 2" springs over a weekend. There's more parts and aftermarket gear available for them than almost any other 4wd. Gears, barwork, upgraded diff components, pretty much everything you'll need is a mouse click and crippling credit card payments away.

Mud is pretty gay though, it's 20seconds of fun for hours of cleaning, replacing seals, bearings, and oils. Much like unprotected sex with a $2 whore, you'll pay for it later when shit starts breaking down and falling off! Rockcrawling is where it's at!

If you're ever in Sydney (not including the nest few months whilst I'm building my junk) hit me up and I'll take you for a wheel. You'll be hooked.

-Dex-
05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh, and IIRC 96 was the last year they had solid axles at the front, after that they went IFS I think. The solid axle models are heaps better off road and miles easier to modify, whereas the IFS are better on road but harder to get good performance from offroad and harder ($$$$) to modify.

The ln106 is just a model number that refers to the body shape etc. LN106 will be the model you are looking at.

336LJ
05-01-2010, 12:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by -Dex-

Those models you'll be looking at the 2.8 diesel. Pretty sure they can go ok with a hairdryer but again, they're not renowned for their speed. Reliable though and piss easy to work on. You can fit 35s with a 2" body lift and 2" springs over a weekend. There's more parts and aftermarket gear available for them than almost any other 4wd. Gears, barwork, upgraded diff components, pretty much everything you'll need is a mouse click and crippling credit card payments away.

Mud is pretty gay though, it's 20seconds of fun for hours of cleaning, replacing seals, bearings, and oils. Much like unprotected sex with a $2 whore, you'll pay for it later when shit starts breaking down and falling off! Rockcrawling is where it's at!

If you're ever in Sydney (not including the nest few months whilst I'm building my junk) hit me up and I'll take you for a wheel. You'll be hooked.

awesome mate thanks for the heads up. I'm definately after reliable, easy (ish) to fix/mod, and something I can actually find parts for.from the torana to the grey import zxr250 and even my zx9, its frustrating as hell trying to find cool shit only to find that particular model isnt even listed...:(! In the meantime It will probably be untouched so the missus can drive it (her commodore is gettin the arse for the hilux)

know of any issues with power steering models? At my old work we did an engine reco on a surf once, and the fucking thing had a computer problem, would run but not rev above 1500rpm and ended up being sent to a tuner on a tilt tray, delayed weeks while the customer waited, the old boss was shitty it cost him pretty much the entire reco job, to get the nerds to look at it, I still don't know what was wrong with it, I fucked off before it came back!.

As much as it sounds like a hippie thing to do, I'v got mates who run their diesels on bio fuels made out of all sorts of shit, veg,algae oils, are the diesel/fuel pumps on those models hard to kill? wouldnt mind mucking around with that kinda stuff down the track.
cheers for the offer mate I'll actually probably be down that way in a few months time, trying to get some chaps (And my bike) together for a decent road trip.if thats the case I'd be keen as! Had some dickhead in a brand new cruiser with "bigger wheels" try to tell me he is an OFFROADER (in response to the soft roader commercial) I'm like mate - if you havn't got gravel rash on your elbow from tipping it over and smacking the doors into the dirt your not offroading.

-Dex-
05-01-2010, 05:03 PM
No issues that I'm aware of with general use, although I'm far from a luxpert. Some guys swap steering boxes to one from an IFS lux but AFAIK that's only because they have a forward facing pitman arm and allows you to move the front diffs further forward (a good thing). But again, very easy to upgrade. Pretty much every steering component has a bigger stronger aftermarket part available.

The surf you mention would probably have had the 1KZ-TE (3.0td) which have been known for ecu probs. I've read about guys getting aftermarket ecu's and running big HP out of them but I have no experience with them. They are an import motor though (all surfs were) up until the Prado and weren't available in the models you're looking at.

Not too sure about biofuels either. I think they are pretty frugal so not too many people have bothered but i know guys who have run WVO on larger diesels with no probs whatsoever. From what I understand, you can run WVO on pretty much any fuel pump as long as the fuel itself has been prepared correctly.

Yeah, the hardcore wheeling scene does seem to attract it's fair share of posers and fuckwits but there a lot of good blokes too. I only generally go with 4 or 5 dudes but they are all legends who can pull an engine down and rebuild it with a shifter in the dark. Good guys to have with you when you break your shit in the middle of nowhere.

hotmilk
05-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Yep my cousin did a creek crossing in his 04 v6 lux while on a 4wd trip from bris, through nsw (the snowy mtns??) and vic. realised when at the creek he had brought everything but his tarp for the front but thought he'd give it a go anyway... ended up putting the fan through the radiator and having to stay in this shitty little country town for 2 days til they got a rad in for him lol lesson learned!