PDA

View Full Version : Painting

Big Daddy
01-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey all,

I have a few things that I need painted and tidy'd up. For instance, what I would like to do is as follows:
Stantions - stripped and painted in a matt black
Swingarm - stripped and painted in a matt black
Front Rotors - not the disc....haha
I would like professional work but do not want to hock any of my lovely children....

Thanks in advance

fimpBIKES
01-06-2006, 06:30 PM
if your stripping them anyways,
why not get em powdercoated

most places wont mind doing the odd cashie ;)

01-06-2006, 07:35 PM
go Satin black,shouldnt cost much to powdercoat(under $100)

Big Daddy
05-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Any places you would recommend in the melbourne area????

Big Daddy
05-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Oh, what I also understand is that the Powder coating itself is quite cheap, what the problem is the Sand Blasting.

I have found a place for the Powder Coating, but need a place that will do the sand blasting and also pull the bike apart for me.

05-06-2006, 04:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Daddy

Stantions - stripped and painted in a matt black

Do you mean stanchions or the lower sliders. If you paint you're stanchions you'll be chewing out seals left right and centre, unless you're only planning on doing the upper parts of them in which case make sure you can do a rebuild on the forks without having to remove the paint.

Big Daddy
06-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey Chalk,

The GSX1400 has regular forks, not the inverted types. So, the stanchions is what needs to be paintd, not the forks...... {;-p)

06-06-2006, 10:48 AM
On regular forks, the stanchions are the chrome bits, that run through the triple clamps. The bit at the bottom that the brakes, guard and wheel fit to are the sliders.

I have thought about painting my stanchions, but dubious about doing rebuilds, ie forcing airseals and oil seals over the painted section.

06-06-2006, 05:13 PM
mate,most powdercoaters do sandblasting,unless they only coat new extrusions/materials.

pt
19-12-2006, 06:57 PM
ok sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there anyone who could do a quick how to on painting stock plastic? or maybe even just explain what the options are, like two pack? or just spray it with a spray can.

p.s. i have access to an air compressor and spray gun, so it's just what paint to use and how to go about it:)

Seifer
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
www.autobody101.com/forums/
Use the search feature here and search for keywords like bike, motorcycle, ABS and plastics,
Should return many features, a couple of good write ups there too.