PDA

View Full Version : Which multi-tool?

DiscoDan
10-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi Guys

I know it's not directly fighter related but I reckon there's a few blokes here who know about these things so:

I'm looking to get a batch of leatherman type multi-tools as thankyou gift for my team that have just completed a pretty tough project. I'm looking at 30 of them at less than $100 ea (assuming I can get wholesale prices for that number) and ideally with some space for some small engraving.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback on good brands/models to choose from? I figure you can't go too wrong with a Gerber or Leatherman but I'm sure there must be others. Anyone know a good place to buy them, ideally that can do the engraving as well?

cheers, d

Slain
10-12-2009, 12:57 PM
i use leathermans at work and have a victoria swiss for home.
both are good but i like the leathermans. never broke one and they seem to stay sharper for longer.

sharky
10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Leatherman for sure...Use the Charger at work, Wave is good too.
Broken 3 over the last 7 years and they have always replaced them F.O.C. as they come with 25yr warranty.

rod185651
10-12-2009, 04:17 PM
I had a leatherman wave when I was in the forces until some tea leaf stole it and I could not fault it. If you want to get them engraved definitely go for the leatherman as they seem to have a better finish and come with a leather pouch also. I have a Gerber suspension these days and it's pretty good but not as presentable as a gift as the leatherman.

DiscoDan
10-12-2009, 04:24 PM
great stuff, thanks guys

jakam04
10-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Group buy for anyone else that wants one??? lol.. ;)

chopiesel
10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Zen Imports who bring in leatherman tools into the country are a supplier of ours at work, i just got a few Leatherman Skeletool Cx's and they are pretty nice, not feature packed but strong, light and look great with the carbon fibre insert on handle. they would make a great gift for what you want.

i just got today a leatherman charge TTI with Titanium handles,and it is the best multi tool iv ever picked up but up the higher end of the price range.

as we are a hospitality supplier, although i could get them for you at the right price, i dont know i could get that many as they really only sell us the tools and torches they import for our personal use.

Ill make some inquires tomorrow for you.

Check out the catalog

http://www.zenimports.com.au/

DiscoDan
10-12-2009, 07:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by jakam04

Group buy for anyone else that wants one??? lol.. ;)

Yeah, I'm happy to look at that. Once I've worked out a few more details I'll post up and see if anyone wants to add to the order

DiscoDan
10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Chop, thanks for that. I was kinda hoping you'd pitch in your expertise as a bit of an guru on these :)

I had been looking at the skeletool, definately a good looking unit. I'll head into a retail on the weekend and have a good look at them all and see what's the best bet. I'll see from there the best way of buying them

cheers, d

10-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Another vote for Leatherman and Zen Imports.

I use my 11-year-old PST at least once every day.

Had to get it repaired last year; No dramas, fixed on the spot.

Jay_G
13-12-2009, 02:15 PM
mate try and get them from the states directly, i bought a couple over in Hawaii as grooms men gifts and they were about $50 each when the dollar was at 80c, about $120 back here.

DiscoDan
13-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I wanted to avoid bringing them in from overseas in that quantity because customs may think it's a commercial import. Ebay as always is the best bet, I found a NSW guy that would sell me 20 Skeletool CX's at $101 each and was heading that way before I went to King of Knives to handle them and saw their christmas special. A box set of the Charge AL, a knive, bits and holster for $189 which is well priced compare to their normal rip-off rates. I'll head into the shop tomorrow and may someone's day by getting 30 of them

http://www.kingofknives.com/Cutlery/Brands/LEATHERMAN/Leatherman-Charge-Gift-Pack-Combo-.html

thanks for all of your advise guys, it's made it a lot easier

cheers, d

Rocket
13-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I've had a leatherman Wave since about 2002, doesn't get used much these days but used to get a bit of work.

I like the really easy, one hand access to the blades which is what I used most.

luke4130
16-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Definately look on the international Ebay. heaps cheap

-Victorinox camper, pretty well the most versatile small swiss army knife but it just lacks pliers. 75grams
-Leatherman Freestyle CX, small simple, awesome quality and a bit of CF. 130grams did say the just ooze quality!
-Leatherman Juice series, Best leatherman balance between weight and number of tools between 120-190grams

I personally think all multitools have an awkward imbalance in their choice of tool combos (almost "half useless") and can be on the heavy side (200-270grams).

Check out the weight, price and the tool combo but those three are my personal favs. Oh, and I kinda prefer Leatherman over Gerber quality wise.

Either way, I'm sure a gift like that will be appreciated do doubt. That gift pack looks pretty good also. Well priced.

Good luck on the decision,

Luke.