PDA

View Full Version : Chroming wheels?

pearso
08-12-2009, 12:37 PM
G'day all,

I'm keen to get the wheels off my 09 busa Chromed and was wondering if anyone else here has had it done (alloys)? if so where? preferably in NSW but other suggestions are welcome I talked to the local guy and a few others who told me they couldn't do alloys (special procedure) but I know its been done
:D

Gitzy
08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey pearso, have you considered polishing??

this mob are pretty good i've heard..

http://www.motorcyclepolishing.com.au/Wheels.htm#

There not in NSW, there in SA.. but i dont think it would be a great amount to get them courier to there and back..

this would be my 2 cents sir... :D

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Polish them yourself. Not too hard. Check out the "How To" section on the home page. Didi mine, took ages but well worth the effort. Good sense of achievement. Liked it so much I did the swingarm too.

pearso
08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gitzy

Hey pearso, have you considered polishing??

this mob are pretty good i've heard..

http://www.motorcyclepolishing.com.au/Wheels.htm#

There not in NSW, there in SA.. but i dont think it would be a great amount to get them courier to there and back..

this would be my 2 cents sir... :D

Thanks champ! yeah I thought about it and acctually had the wheels on my old firestorm polished and it may come to that but I really wanna try to get them chrome if i can mostly for the lower maintainence aspect:D cheers!

boris
08-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I have a polisher here pearso if u decide u want to go that way and there's the sandblasters just down the road from my shop

pearso
08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by boris

I have a polisher here pearso if u decide u want to go that way and there's the sandblasters just down the road from my shop

Sweet Boris! if i end up going that direction I'll hit you up for sure mate!

bladehunter
10-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Chroming alloy is looks good for a bit then it starts to flake, not the easiest thing in the world to get right........anyways why add weight ?

EXBEN
10-12-2009, 06:26 PM
ebay US http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-GSXR-1300-HAYABUSA-GSXR1300R-CHROME-WHEELS-08-09_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad1e4a4f2QQitemZ390 068479218QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I haven't found any one in australia that chrome plates properly, mainly because the toxic chemicals to do the copper plating are illegal to use here. Company's in the US get the mexicans to do it for them ( from what I'm told)

pearso
10-12-2009, 07:31 PM
starting to sound like I'll be getting dirty! LOL!

pearso
10-12-2009, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by boris

does sand blasting pit the alloy? am i better off just stripping them? (done this before it took a few goes and a lot of time sux)

lurch
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I've heard theres a powder coat available that looks similar to chrome - been meaning to look into it

wackyrider
10-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Be carefull blasting the wheels. make sure its not grit blast. Glass bead wouldn't damage the alloy for you.

latheboy
11-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Just got to autobarn and buy a couple of cans of abo crome and do it your self.... its silver paint for you PC wankers:D;)

pearso
11-12-2009, 09:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

Just got to autobarn and buy a couple of cans of abo crome and do it your self.... its silver paint for you PC wankers:D;)

Your right,... you are a genius!

TurboKat
11-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Be warned that a side effect of chrome plating is that the aluminium will lose its malleability & become brittle (hydrogen embrittlement) so if you ever buckle or ding one it won't be able to be re rolled.

pearso
11-12-2009, 01:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

Be warned that a side effect of chrome plating is that the aluminium will lose its malleability & become brittle (hydrogen embrittlement) so if you ever buckle or ding one it won't be able to be re rolled.

didn't know that so thanks!.. but it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference ATM as I can't find anyone that will do it so it looks a lot like a polishing job[V]

bladehunter
11-12-2009, 02:59 PM
What about gluing Aluminum foil to the wheels ?

When they get dirty just refoil 'em, but don't be dodgy and use the household stuff get the catering stuff...it'll add 5 hp per wheel

pearso
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

What about gluing Aluminum foil to the wheels ?

When they get dirty just refoil 'em, but don't be dodgy and use the household stuff get the catering stuff...it'll add 5 hp per wheel

I'm in! just a few Q's? tho, what kinda glue? hot glue gun type, spray contact adhesive, supa glue? and that catering stuff ain't cheap can you point out some of the benifits over the household?:D

bladehunter
11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
two part resin type
it's a heavier gauge, you ride through an oven and std household stuff is only good for half horsepower

pearso
12-12-2009, 06:16 PM
BAH HAHAHAHAHAHA!