PDA

View Full Version : SHELL VSX4 question,,..

Gitzy
02-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Ok so i've used Shell VSX4 on all my bikes for many kms..
my uncle only ever used it 5000km intervals got 130000kms out of RF900
mate use it, old man uses it and so on..

Over all never had an issue, love the oil..

My question is... about 12 or so months ago the bottle changed from "FULLY SYNTHETIC" to "SYNTHETIC BASED" as well as the dye in the oil, it went from amber colour to green.. found that out by buying 4 1 litres as they had no 4 litres and half way through the second bottle i realised it was green and shit myself thinking it may have been VSX2 in wrong bottle.. phone call to bike shop assured me that the dye had changed.. didnt even know they used dyes in oil..

every time ive bought some i've asked why it changed, all bike shops i've spoken to have all said its still 100% Synthetic and theres no mineral in there.. i've continued to use the oil in all my bikes and its still as good as ever but does anyone have any info regarding the name and or colour change??

pappas
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Shell Ultra 4 is the fully synthetic oil. Shell VSX 4 is a semi synthetic.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&FC3=/au-en/html/iwgen/shell_for_motorists/oils_lubricants/advance/product_range/products_4t_2101.html

Gitzy
02-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Cheers Pappas .. so did they change to "SYNTHETIC BASED" because the Shell Advance Ultra 4 is the new fully synthetic oil??

Can someone define "Semi synthetic" to me.. its not a synthetic/mineral blend and its not fully synthetic so that means??

pardon me for being a dumbass.. i've just heard this question a bit lately from a couple of mates who are used to seeing VSX4 say "Fully Synthetic" as opposed to "Sythetic Based" it seems to be causing a little confusion..

pappas
03-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Mate, I'm pretty sure it's a blend of mineral and synthetic. The MSDS sheet for it states it's a mineral based oil.

pappas
03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Mate, I'm pretty sure it's a blend of mineral and synthetic. The MSDS sheet for it states it's a mineral based oil.

Gitzy
03-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Well that sucks balls, why change an oil thats been fully synthetic forever to a blended mineral oil and call it "Synthetic Based".. and then not notify there customer base and cause confusion.. Might be just me havin a bitch, strikes me as rather silly.. nice one shell..

Gitzy
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Ok all good, i just got of the phone with Graemme a nice chap from Shell Australia Technical Dept, the VSX4 is still the same quality it always has been, but YES it i now a blended Synthetic/Mineral Oil.. and yes the dye did change, reasons i asked, "more econimical for the company" they decided to change the base of the oil after all these years and now if fully synthetic is required use SHELL ADVANCE ULTRA 4.. he assured me the VSX4 is still the same quality its always been though and be comfortable still using it..

WHY I DIDNT RING EARLIER YOU ASK... well im a bit silly like that...

Problem solved..