PDA

View Full Version : Billet triple clamps

wackyrider
24-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Would it make a big difference if they were made out of 316 S/S instead od Alloy??

Also, does anyone have any detailed drawings of any? preferably something close to one for a Yamaha R1.

Just have a thought in my head, but it will be a while....

Tony OW31
24-11-2009, 11:49 AM
316 ss will be fine from a strength point of view, but why would you want to add all that extra weight? The steering is one of the parts where any increase or decrease in weight is really noticable.

scotty
24-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey Malty, I'll put u in touch with my mate that now's all that at the crissy party.(cad drawing i mean)

latheboy
24-11-2009, 12:48 PM
S/S will cost you alot more in machine time ....

Just get in Al. and spray it with chrome paint then tells us all it's S/S..;)

wackyrider
24-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm taliking about the weight issue myself as well. Would it make a huge difference??

quote:Originally posted by latheboy

S/S will cost you alot more in machine time ....

Just get in Al. and spray it with chrome paint then tells us all it's S/S..;)

Don't care about the s/s look, just might have a nice block for a bargain price. Can't afford to do anything to it right now, but if it's worth it, might be worth my while taking the block of s/s

EXBEN
24-11-2009, 07:52 PM
As Ivan said the machining cost will far outweigh any saving in material cost Will take about 4-5 times longer to machine, so it wouldn't matter if you got the material for free, it will still cost you more to make a set of triples out of SS than ally.

kevkatana
24-11-2009, 08:43 PM
You're doing an engineering course and asking this question??? Don't use stainless ya twat!

BANDITROD
24-11-2009, 08:50 PM
ease up kev he is french lol

wackyrider
24-11-2009, 09:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by kevkatana

You're doing an engineering course and asking this question??? Don't use stainless ya twat!

Cheers monkey lips. i know that it is heavier, was just wondering that if I milled it out a fair bit of it if it would be ok.

guess not then

kevkatana
24-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Monkey lips?!!! At least I don't use botox and can grow a "real mans" mo:D I'm going to leave it on till at least after the xmas party[:p]

oldskool
24-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Kev I think he's Greek.
Julious use alloy monkey boy. I was going to make one with a hole saw drill press and a jigsaw!

wackyrider
25-11-2009, 12:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by oldskool

Kev I think he's Greek.
Julious use alloy monkey boy. I was going to make one with a hole saw drill press and a jigsaw!

fair enough. i just saw some s/s at work lying around, which is an off cut from something else. Was wondering if it might be usefull to me if I managed to take it home

336LJ
27-11-2009, 07:57 PM
i dunno if it was a lie - but someone at an engineering place I went to today, said, when i asked about a set of triples on the bench, that you can get hi tensile ally? or something?