PDA

View Full Version : RTA Etags or E-toll

17-11-2009, 08:34 PM
G'day,

Does anyone in Sydney have and use one of these RTA Etag/E-toll things?

How much do they extort for a bike to use the M4?

And, how much do you get back on the cashback rort?

Thanks

pt
17-11-2009, 09:35 PM
i have an eway motorcycle tag in the zip up pouch with a magnet. Have never used it on a bike but works pretty well in my car even if its a bit hidden. You could even just hold it up on the bike then just whack it back on the tank till you stopped at some lights or something. Nice and small too.

Pretty expensive though, needs big top ups and costs something to get i think? The rta plain ones dont require as much top up and i think only need a deposit.

Not sure how much the cash back is.

grindella
17-11-2009, 10:26 PM
if you dont have one they give you 48 hours to ring and sort it out or they slug extra $20 for admin. Cost for bikes range from about $1 to $3. Or you can take my option and avoid the tolls completely

Jockney Rebel
17-11-2009, 10:50 PM
i have rta tags for the bike van and car 3 bucks a month each and top it up form ur efpos or whatever mick ..btw sorry i never got back to you about the towball mate ..im a lazy bastard regarding sydney trips [maybe because the monster in law lives there ] next time im down ill shout you a beer for yer bother.... be nice to meet ya

Cruisecontrol
18-11-2009, 04:07 AM
You can link the tag from a car to your bike.
When you use the tollways on the bike it takes the rego number and matches it up with the account you have for the car. It solves the issue of where to put the stupid tag at least.

Chase
18-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Get an interstate one, I use my VIC Etag here - you can put multiple vehicles on it but the best thing is that you don't have to pay the "admin" costs.

When you use Syd tolls;
- try to dodge the camera
- if you do get sent a letter for $3 toll and $10 admin ignore it
- when you get the letter for $3 toll and $20 admin use the interstate etag to pay and you only cop the $3 toll (about half what it costs the fkrs to send the letters).

Bikes should be free.

pappas
18-11-2009, 09:21 AM
M4 is $2.75 and you get it all back if you have any type of etag.

18-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Gees, except for the forgetful Jock, you're a bunch of good blokes.

Starting new job on Monday at Silverwater, right beside the M4. I live within spitting distance of the M4 a bit further west.

Will head down to the RTA today and grab one. $40 deposit on unit and $60 initial top-up.

Jock, hitch and towball is sitting here when you're ready.

Hillsy
18-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Or just don't pay.....;)

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16066&SearchTerms=toll

18-11-2009, 11:37 AM
There is that option HA HA

pappas
18-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Where abouts do you live mate the M4 is fucked in the mornings. Not to bad on the way home before 4pm-4:30pm. I'm at Toongabbie and work at Homebush and never take the M4 in the mornings! The best way to go is James Ruse drive then either Victoria Rd or Kissing Point Rd.

18-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I'll be getting on at Roper Road. Starting at 0630 and finishing at 1500.

Been travelling to Granville Tafe all year. 0800 start meant that I went straight down the GWH in the car.

When riding, M4 is fun.

custom6
18-11-2009, 12:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by pappas

M4 is $2.75 and you get it all back if you have any type of etag.

I think you dont get the GST portion back, but having to pay $0.25 is better than $2.75 imo.

I also have mine linked to my 2 bikes are car, but only ever carry it in the car. I juts let their computers work it out for themselves which I think it generally does.

holyman_999
18-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I used to travel the M4 daily. Back before they had a system for bikes (not that their little pouches and arm-bands could be referred to in such a way[:I])

just follow a car through, go in the boom gate/no change lane (no operator) and wait to the left, as soon as the car clears the gate, scoot around and leave em for dust! :D Did it for about 5 years straight, not one letter.

I refused to pay the same as a car, should be free... half the wheels, fuck all weight compared, less damage to road surface, less congestion, the list goes on.

and, as far as I am concerned, while they continue to attempt to slice me to bits with those wire ropes, I refuse to pay them cunts anything.

/rant

18-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I used to do the same as holyman but that's about 15 years ago. Never had a problem then either. Gonna have a good look at camera placement in relation to numberplate mounting...

papa smurf
18-11-2009, 04:52 PM
So Mick, are you saying that you're actually going to have a REAL JOB?:D

18-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Yes. I'll officially be Australia's oldest apprentice sparky.

papa smurf
18-11-2009, 07:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by playswithnitro

That's unreal mate, never too old to try something new eh?

I just started a new job on Monday myself, love trying something new.;)

Jockney Rebel
18-11-2009, 07:57 PM
god help us ..mick the sparky

eddahenry
18-11-2009, 08:41 PM
looks like the M4 toll is about to be pulled anyway
good for the outerwest
But the Hills district still get nailed in the arss
We moved from Westpenno to mosman
Reason 8000 a year in tolls is a fair bit to chuck on a morgage

megareg
18-11-2009, 10:10 PM

Off topic I know... sorry, but...

That would be the best move you could do, I was a first year Apprentice Electrical Fitter back in 1991 at age 35 in the Electricity Commission of NSW as it was known then, I passed with distinction, just make sure your maths is up to scratch, if not, do not ever be afraid to ask!!!! if you need a hand with anything, pm me.

Well done :)

18-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Stop yer cheek Jimmy.

Reg, Officially I'm already halfway through stage two of Electrotechnology (Electrician). That's what I've been doing full-time since the start of this year. I know what you mean about maths; have developed a hatred for phasors and vectors. Got any mates amongst the teachers at Granville?

The apprenticeship I've taken on is Linesman/Cablejoiner. The plan is to continue Electrotechnology (Electrician) at TAFE (two nights per week) and work for a contractor part-time to complete that. If everything falls into place, I'll be licenced in both trades.

18-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I'll share a story about the 43-year old cripple and Integral one day... :(

Jockney Rebel
19-11-2009, 02:54 AM
"have developed a hatred for phasors and vectors."
didnt know you was a trekkie mick? lol ..

pappas
19-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Good choice with linesman/cable jointer! If you can get into Energy Aus or Integral there is unlimited OT!! Especially linesman!

megareg
19-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Stop yer cheek Jimmy.

Reg, Officially I'm already halfway through stage two of Electrotechnology (Electrician). That's what I've been doing full-time since the start of this year. I know what you mean about maths; have developed a hatred for phasors and vectors. Got any mates amongst the teachers at Granville?

The apprenticeship I've taken on is Linesman/Cablejoiner. The plan is to continue Electrotechnology (Electrician) at TAFE (two nights per week) and work for a contractor part-time to complete that. If everything falls into place, I'll be licenced in both trades.

Ahhh, phasors and vectors... what fun.... the graphical way of doing them is fine as you tend to get a better grasp of the effects of inductance and capacitance, you can use a calculator, but of course, when you have an exam, you can't show your working out...

As far as your future employment goes, when you're fully qualified in both, you will be very employable, and can earn some big money if you want to....

I went up the the Isa back in '96, I ended up at a smallish mine outside of the Isa and was there for around 13 years, the last 10 in a fly in, fly out basis, I ended up as the Electrical Supervisor as well as the "person in control of Electrical work", a requirement of the Qld. DME, I am now in QLD Health in a normal job (sparkie), it was ok working away for that long but you had no real social life, I do now :) and can go riding on the weekends :):D

Actually, i'm in Bangkok right now, I've used the last of my frequent flyer points that I amassed, last year it was 2X business class to LA and around USA with a 32 day cruise back through the Pacific to Sydney. I flew my partner and I premium economy from Sydney to Bangkok where we will be cruising on the Diamond Princess back to OZ then on to NZ where we will be married on board by the Captain, then after that, head down, arse up and work hard... Yes, I earned good money in the Mines, and you could too if you wanted to, good luck, all the best and do stick with it.

Cheers
Reg.

Oh, and back on topic.... I will not bother with a tag on the bike... I'll be avoiding the toll roads as the bike uses less fuel than the toll, Victoria does not charge a toll on bikes (or at least they never used to, might have changed.. dunno), bikes do fuck-all damage to the road and are a part of the congestion solution, why charge a toll???