PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Japan - Honeymoon ride

Boxer
12-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Second half of our Honeymoon in Japan, missus and I just did a 5 day ride from Tokyo through Nikko, Bandai, Sendai Matsushima, Nasu and a whole heap of off the beaten track places. We had a reasonably new BMW 1200GT (4cyl jobbie) and I can definitely recommend this to anyone into bikes and travel. So many awesome roads to ride, great stops and super easy to organise.

As we were on our honeymoon we stayed at nice bed and breakfast style places with their own Onsen baths etc, but if you went on a more blokey ride theres hotels and hostels.

The company we rented the bike from did the whole route for us day by day on a Garmin GPS in English and the three partners in the company are American and Aussie, so youre not dealing with some guy speaking broken Engrish.

Well worth a look into if you want to do a different kinda trip.

http://japanbikerentals.com/

Tell them Boxer sent you!

http://www.pbase.com/rotaute/image/119290996/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/rotaute/image/119291001/large.jpg

Got a ton of great shots, so chance are you'll see if pop up in a magazine quite soon

gibbo
12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun mate, what is the price of accomodation and food like?, Bike rental seems like a good deal, how did you go communicating with the locals?
Ps. post up some more pics, please.

Weaselman
12-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Do a skid!

Large
12-11-2009, 08:33 PM
That second pic looks like where Uma learnt the mad ninja skillz

BANDITROD
12-11-2009, 09:43 PM
fuckin oath it does big fella and that looks like a fuckload of fun good luck mate

KATO ZX7
13-11-2009, 12:11 PM
holy shiet, are all the roads there that windy?

Looks like a shitload of fun!

80s freak
13-11-2009, 12:55 PM
love that gps map!

rock hard
13-11-2009, 04:59 PM
awesome map .what are the japs like as drivers/riders..kamakazi or not..have a great time on your honeymoon..

Gix11
14-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Wondered where you had got to mate. Nice work, that looks like a top trip.

Boxer
14-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah Si,

Has been a mental few months. Some how though I did manage to buy the CBR in the mix :)

As far as the other questions go, accom isn't too bad and food isn't bad either. I wouldn't say it's any worse than Sydney.

Some of the places we stayed though on the bike trip well inclusive of meals. The other thing is the rentals guys give you accom options and then actually make the bookings for you.

Language isn't as bad as you'd think. I'd say the key is being patient, taking a phrase book and actually having a go. Japanese people really appreciate it when you do and failing that find what you want in a book and point at it. You'll work it out. We managed to work out how to tell people my missus is Gluten intollerant, so it's not too bad.

Drivers aren't too bad, not as bad as China, India etc, it's an extremely well run country. The Tohoku Expressway into Tokyo is kinda mental though, I was riding 2 up doing 160 and people were still passing us :P

All up, I wanna do it again! More than once!

Will post more pics soon, still gotta sort em out.