PDA

View Full Version : sticky throttle

WATEVR
07-12-2006, 09:28 AM
connected up my throttle onto the fat bars and now the throttle sticks when twisted on? the cables dont appear to be streched up to the bars but when the cables are out of the switch block they retract easily. if it the cables are to short does anyone know what ones are longer that would suit a ZX7R of 98 vintage.

Gix11
07-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Sounds like they are too short mate and not being allowed to retract when mounted. Stu at Austreetfighter (www.austreetfighter.com.au) will be able to sort some for you.

WATEVR
07-12-2006, 10:07 PM
cheers Si

qickdraw
11-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Unless you're using ape hangers you shouldn't need extended throttle cables for a ZX7-R. You should probably try re-routing the cables so they take the shortest route from carbs to twistgrip - quite often they go the long way around the front tank mount point and can be moved to the near side to shorten the route.... if that's no good then a set from a ZR-7 may be a better length for you...

WATEVR
11-12-2006, 11:24 AM
thanx quickdraw i did get em to work by rerouting them but then when i put the air box back on it started to stick again. it appears it doesnt take much of a bend to slow them from retracting quickly. i dunno know its starting to give me the shits!!!

11-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Contact TurboKat Watevr, he plays around with the same machinery.

TurboKat
11-12-2006, 01:42 PM
For some reason Kwaka throttles throw a hissy when you try to route the cables in any way that isn't factory. [?]
First things first Chris, if you don't have one of them tricky little $10 cable lubing devices, go get one now.............
Are you back yet?
Good. .;)
Take the cables off the bike & spray plenty of good (not $2 shop crap) penetrant/lube down there until it comes out clean (I slide the cable in & out & rotate it round as I spray)
Once the cables are really well cleaned out & lubed, they're less fussy about which way you run them, but they still don't like ANY tension on them whatsoevr or they'll bind.
With a bit of trial & error you too can have a snappy throttle or you can cop out completely & do what I did with my ZX9 & piss the Kawa one off & get an R1 jobbie. [:0]

Hillsy
11-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Not the best photo, but I ended up rotating the throttle assembly on the bars to get more of a smooth arc for my ZX9 cables. Also re-routed the cables from the frame hole on the clutch side to the throttle side to get a bit more play (they're standard cables).

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/59685043893558.jpg

11-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Gotta agree with Turbo on the Kwaka throttle cables not liking being rerouted, even my old 85' model won't tolerate it.

Luckily the drag bars didn't change the required cable length enough to matter.

11-12-2006, 03:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

For some reason Oxford St boys throw a hissy when you try to route you're cables in any way that isn't via the back door. [?]
First things first Chris, if you don't have one of them tricky little $10 cock lubing devices, go get one now from the chemist brand name KY Gel.............
Are you back yet?
Good. .;)
Take the pants off the boy & spray plenty of good (not $2 shop crap) penetrant/lube down there until it comes out clean (I slide the cable in & out & rotate it round as I spray)
Once the butt cheeks are really well cleaned out & lubed, they're less fussy about which way you run them, but they still don't like ANY tension on them whatsoevr or they'll scream like a school girl.
With a bit of trial & error you too can have a snappy little Oxford St bitch or you can cop out completely & do what I did and just root Large. [:0]

Mmmmmmmmm, you did get a good deal on the Kat didn't you big boy

TurboKat
11-12-2006, 04:15 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D:D:D:D:D
Touche' Chalk. ;)

Large
11-12-2006, 04:36 PM
*Large warms up photoshop

11-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Yeah, you go get that TubbyKat Large, imagine saying such things about a wonderful, straight bloke like you :D